Losing Loewen?

tywright

Okay, we need to stop painting Loewen out to be some bad guy. By all accounts, he has been a personable fella, a good teammate, and a fan favorite. Plus, he volunteered to be part of the Orioles Magic video. He WILL sign wiht us, and he is going nowhere! Don't make him a bad guy before he has even given us a sliver of reason to doubt him.

Just for the record, everything I've heard about Loewen makes me think he's a good guy. And I happen to think he'll sign with the O's. But if he did sign elsewhere, that alone wouldn't change my opinion about him one bit.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone notice that the article said Loewen could go to Frederick?

I thought the talk was he would start at DelMarva - perhaps the bat is proving to be more advanced that some people thought a few months ago.

Perhaps AL needs a new start in a new organization, but it would be very upsetting to see him reach the majors as a hitter in a different uniform.

Yeah I highlighted this in my original post. I was definitely surprised about that and it may be an indication that he's progressed more than originally thought. And also that's probably why teams are not interested in signing him.

My impression of Loewen is that he is a very loyal guy. The Orioles have given him a lot of support over the years, and I don't think he'll be in any hurry to switch organizations. Now if some other team throws a lot of money at him, he'd be crazy not to take it. Somehow I doubt that's happening.

If he stays with us, I'd be pretty surprised if he starts at Frederick. There was talk of sending him to Hawaii for the rest of the fall season, and if he went there and held his own then I could see it. But with each passing day that becomes more unlikely. The HWL season ends 3 weeks from now.

And bring who back? You can only have 8 guys on a roster for the winter league. The only way I could see it would be replacing Keefer in AFL, but that's super AA talent there, I doubt he's ready for that.

All but the most optimistic realize the O's have already lost Loewen.

Exactly. We lost a top of the rotation, #4 pick. It's over. My heart has already been broken.

If he signs with someone else, good luck to him. He's a long shot at best, and even if we do sign him, he's going to be subjected to the Rule V every year, so we could lose him then too. It's his life and he doesn't owe anyone anything. He ruined his arm for the O's. If the guy wants to go to say, Toronto, and play close to home and make some good money, I can't fault him.

And in my opinion, 90% of what we do on this board every day is arguing for the sake of arguing.

So let me put this another way - how much more money would a team have to offer Loewen, compared to what the Orioles were offering, for you not to feel he was being disloyal by taking the money?

- $25,000?

- $50,000?

- $100,000?

- $250,000?

Personally I'd say that it would have to be six figures. Loewen's made enough in his career where less than that should be immaterial to his decision.

Considering we've given him at least $5M so far, I'd think that if it was less than $250k, I'd be upset. Once you start approaching a half a million or more, you'd have to consider it.

Really, it'd be in everyone's best intrest if we just got him back ASAP and moved on with his transformation.

But the point that seems to be lost here is that it's not in any way, shape, or form about money. We've given him a lot of opportunities. It's simply his turn to give us one. I guess if he doesn't adhere to any sort of business ethics, there's nothing you can do about it except treat him like the next Mussina.

Considering we've given him at least $5M so far, I'd think that if it was less than $250k, I'd be upset. Once you start approaching a half a million or more, you'd have to consider it.

I hadn't remembered that we had paid him quite that much. You're right, it's been close to $5 mm.

I'm not going to get ahead of myself here. $400 - 500,000 is what third round draft picks typically get. It doesn't seem likely that anyone is throwing that at Loewen.

Adam gave the Orioles his left arm. I'd say that's all he owes them.

That's a bit overly dramatic, don't you think? I'd let someone put a screw in my elbow and agree never to pitch again in exchange for $5 mm. In fact, I'd do it for $2 mm.

More seriously, Loewen reports that he has no pain from regular activities or even non-pitching baseball activities.

I do think he owes us a little. We could have cut his pay for 2008 after he missed most of 2007, but we didn't. We had him spend a week getting personal hitting instruction from Terry Crowley. We sent him to our instructional camp. I think he owes us some loyalty - to a point.

Adam gave the Orioles his left arm. I'd say that's all he owes them.

Umm... he gave that arm to his passion for the sport of baseball as much as anything else. I blew up my shoulder while PAYING to play in DCMABL. Should I seek retribution from them so we become even? He injured his arm to the tune of not being able to throw 94 MPH anymore. He didn't cut it off... Obviously, he can still throw with that very same left arm... or is he kicking the ball around the field now?

A big time myth. I've never seen convincing evidence that he was even a 2nd-3rd round talent with the bat. And he was most certainly not a better talent with the bat than with his arm when drafted.

Pretty much. The only statistical data we have regarding Adam Loewen's hitting prowess suggests that he was nothing more than a singles guy with little to no power. I don't know about you, that'd be fine for a SS if our lineup could support it, but I don't want that lack of a bat in the outfield or even 1B. Ideally, I wouldn't want it anywhere in the lineup.

Long story short: there is not much evidence out there regarding Loewen's true hitting talent.

Umm... he gave that arm to his passion for the sport of baseball as much as anything else. I blew up my shoulder while PAYING to play in DCMABL. Should I seek retribution from them so we become even? He injured his arm to the tune of not being able to throw 94 MPH anymore. He didn't cut it off... Obviously, he can still throw with that very same left arm... or is he kicking the ball around the field now?

He also hid 2-3 injuries from the Orioles. I don't know about you, but the signing bonus Loewen received, the amount of babying he received, and the countless patience the Orioles exuded regarding Loewen should be evidence enough regarding the Orioles loyalty to Loewen. Couple that with Loewen hiding multiple injuries, being injured damn near his entire professional career, and I think it'd be a huge slap in the face if Loewen ducked out when the Orioles are giving him an opportunity on a silver platter to prove himself to not only the Baltimore Orioles but the rest of MLB.

That's a bit overly dramatic, don't you think? I'd let someone put a screw in my elbow and agree never to pitch again in exchange for $5 mm. In fact, I'd do it for $2 mm.

More seriously, Loewen reports that he has no pain from regular activities or even non-pitching baseball activities.

I do think he owes us a little. We could have cut his pay for 2008 after he missed most of 2007, but we didn't. We had him spend a week getting personal hitting instruction from Terry Crowley. We sent him to our instructional camp. I think he owes us some loyalty - to a point.

Loewen went from making $967k in 2007 to $816k in 2008. That's a cut in pay. The maximum they could have cut him was 20%, which would have put him at $774k.

Archived