Orioles defense so far by Statcast

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think this is exactly what Callis is saying.    He’s saying Rutschman has better tools and potential as a prospect than Machado did when he was a prospect.   That’s not to say he’ll turn out to be the better player.

Suffice it to say that if Rutschman turns out to be approximately the same level of player as Machado, I will be very, very pleased.  

Apples to oranges and all, but if Manny retired today his career value would be the equivalent of putting him in the top 15-20 catchers of all time.  Basically, if Rutschman has a 40-win career he's doing very well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 4:35 PM, Frobby said:

Is he even the best defensive catcher we drafted in 2019?   He and Maverick Handley were co-defensive players of the year in the PAC-12 that year.  (Full disclosure: Rutschman won the Div. I Gold Glove.)

Look, I’m highly confident based on what I’ve read that Rutschman will eventually be an above average pro defender.   Do I know that he’s ready to be that now?   No.

Rutschman has the potential to be an above average pro defender.  Absolutely.  The D1 Gold Glove was awarded likely because his offensive numbers since Oregon State played Adley at 1B about 30-40% of the time in 2018 & 2019.  You just couldn't ignore the offense.  However, D1 Baseball wrote a really interesting article prior to the 2019 regionals where all of the PAC12 coaches felt Maverick was more important to his team as a catcher than Adley.  Both young men have outstanding character and leadership.  I believe Maverick has a photographic memory, speaks Spanish, and has called his own games since he was 12.  Adley's bat will be his bat even at 1B or OF.  Handley is a game changer at catcher.  I see tons of videos of Handley's throw downs and pick offs that change the game.  It will be interesting to see how the Orioles can make most of what they have with these two.  Word at Stanford was Nico Hoerner was only infielder at Stanford ahead of Handley on depth chart... and he is doing okay in Chicago.  Will the Orioles explore Maverick at 2B?  Like Biggio back in the day.  The bat is going to drive the discussions for the next couple years for sure.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CHIP said:

Rutschman has the potential to be an above average pro defender.  Absolutely.  The D1 Gold Glove was awarded likely because his offensive numbers since Oregon State played Adley at 1B about 30-40% of the time in 2018 & 2019.  You just couldn't ignore the offense.  However, D1 Baseball wrote a really interesting article prior to the 2019 regionals where all of the PAC12 coaches felt Maverick was more important to his team as a catcher than Adley.  Both young men have outstanding character and leadership.  I believe Maverick has a photographic memory, speaks Spanish, and has called his own games since he was 12.  Adley's bat will be his bat even at 1B or OF.  Handley is a game changer at catcher.  I see tons of videos of Handley's throw downs and pick offs that change the game.  It will be interesting to see how the Orioles can make most of what they have with these two.  Word at Stanford was Nico Hoerner was only infielder at Stanford ahead of Handley on depth chart... and he is doing okay in Chicago.  Will the Orioles explore Maverick at 2B?  Like Biggio back in the day.  The bat is going to drive the discussions for the next couple years for sure.

It sounds like you have described Adley as well as his back up, thus ensuring that catcher is not going to be a desert island of production for the next six years

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

It sounds like you have described Adley as well as his back up, thus ensuring that catcher is not going to be a desert island of production for the next six years

We’ll have to see if Handley can be a credible bat for a major league backup C.   But that report from CHIP about his defense and leadership is certainly very encouraging.   

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ll have to see if Handley can be a credible bat for a major league backup C.   But that report from CHIP about his defense and leadership is certainly very encouraging.   

Well, I don’t want to sound like I’m beating a dead horse, but he only has to be better than Sisco, and that’s a low bar, Especially if his defense is as good as it seems to be.

You know, every time we talk about back up catcher, I scratch my head to think about Taylor Teagarden, who was completely terrible(walk-off home run aside.)

By the way, feeling nostalgic I just went and looked up Teagarden’s walk off homerun. That was such an exciting season, looking at the video, I just felt so nostalgic about all those guys who are no longer around, not even in baseball anymore. Boy that was a great team, and so unexpectedThat was such an exciting season, looking at the video, I just felt so nostalgic about all those guys who are no longer around, not even in baseball anymore. Boy that was a great team, and so unexpected..

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Well, I don’t want to sound like I’m beating a dead horse, but he only has to be better than Sisco, and that’s a low bar, Especially if his defense is as good as it seems to be.

You know, every time we talk about back up catcher, I scratch my head to think about Taylor Teagarden, who was completely terrible(walk-off home run aside.)

By the way, feeling nostalgic I just went and looked up Teagarden’s walk off homerun. That was such an exciting season, looking at the video, I just felt so nostalgic about all those guys who are no longer around, not even in baseball anymore. Boy that was a great team, and so unexpectedThat was such an exciting season, looking at the video, I just felt so nostalgic about all those guys who are no longer around, not even in baseball anymore. Boy that was a great team, and so unexpected..

I was at that game.  It was the day they unveiled Jim Palmer’s statue. Great day at the ballpark.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I was at that game.  It was the day they unveiled Jim Palmer’s statue. Great day at the ballpark.    

I remember how I felt when it looked like the Tigers were going to win and none other than Taylor Teagarden saved the day. What a great feeling.

Must have been ten times stronger for those who were watching in person