The Tanner Scott Roulette Wheel

Frobby

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Hasn't anyone figured out yet that Elias' timetable for calling up any guys with a future is what it is, and it has little to do with what happens at the major league level?

Every time someone says, "this pitcher stinks, call up Bradish or Smith", I just laugh.   If a pitcher gets so bad or hurt that someone has to be called up, it will be Mickey Jannis or Shaun Anderson or Konner Wade or Spenser Watkins coming up more often than not.   Alex Wells getting a chance has been a rarity.   Maybe he reached the mystical callup criteria that Elias had in mind for him, or maybe Elias thinks he is just as expendable as those guys above and not part of the future.

We have to stop pretending that Elias will make a decision to bring up someone that matters based on what is happening at the major league level, because I don't think he even thinks that way.   I think he has some criteria to determine when a prospect is "ready" to come up, I can't even guess what it might be.   It's above our paygrade, so to speak.  But THAT is when the guy is coming up, whether the major league team needs someone at that position or not.

Elias will bring up Jones when it fits the Jones-development timetable that we are not privy to.   The fact that we have a black hole at the major league level at 2B right now means nothing.  Pat Valaika could go on a multi-state shooting spree and it wouldn't accelerate Jones' promotion one bit.   He'd still come up on the predetermined date or after the predetermined steps that Elias deems necessary.   While the police were throwing Valaika in the back of the car, Stevie Wilkerson would be handed an airline ticket from wherever the Tides are playing to Baltimore.

Great post. You're 100% correct.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He just crumbles in the 9th like every time. It's going to be hard to trade this guy because everyone knows he can't handle high leverage. When he does handle it, it feels more lucky than good. I am not a fan of the player. 

I was trying to figure out why Scott pitched the 9th.  It can't be a rational baseball decision, building up his trade value makes much more sense.  How much trade value did  he add?

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I was trying to figure out why Scott pitched the 9th.  It can't be a rational baseball decision, building up his trade value makes much more sense.  How much trade value did  he add?

Wells wasn’t available and Scott was fresh.  

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There's not a lot of good options in that pen. I never felt good about him being in the 9th, but I also know I don't feel good with just about anyone else in the 9th either, minus maybe Wells. 

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

Hasn't anyone figured out yet that Elias' timetable for calling up any guys with a future is what it is, and it has little to do with what happens at the major league level?

Every time someone says, "this pitcher stinks, call up Bradish or Smith", I just laugh.   If a pitcher gets so bad or hurt that someone has to be called up, it will be Mickey Jannis or Shaun Anderson or Konner Wade or Spenser Watkins coming up more often than not.   Alex Wells getting a chance has been a rarity.   Maybe he reached the mystical callup criteria that Elias had in mind for him, or maybe Elias thinks he is just as expendable as those guys above and not part of the future.

We have to stop pretending that Elias will make a decision to bring up someone that matters based on what is happening at the major league level, because I don't think he even thinks that way.   I think he has some criteria to determine when a prospect is "ready" to come up, I can't even guess what it might be.   It's above our paygrade, so to speak.  But THAT is when the guy is coming up, whether the major league team needs someone at that position or not.

Elias will bring up Jones when it fits the Jones-development timetable that we are not privy to.   The fact that we have a black hole at the major league level at 2B right now means nothing.  Pat Valaika could go on a multi-state shooting spree and it wouldn't accelerate Jones' promotion one bit.   He'd still come up on the predetermined date or after the predetermined steps that Elias deems necessary.   While the police were throwing Valaika in the back of the car, Stevie Wilkerson would be handed an airline ticket from wherever the Tides are playing to Baltimore.

Exactly what I've tried to say. You don't bring up prospects until THEY are ready. It has nothing to do with what is going on in Baltimore and it shouldn't.

Didn’t see the game, as I’m away, but Scott got hit last night..which doesn’t happen often.  

He threw 70% of his pitches for strikes and had a 22% swingstr%.  If he gets in trouble, it’s usually walks Allowed, no control, etc…last night he did walk the one guy but also gave up 3 hits.  

Of all the bad outings that he could have, these types of outings are the ones I’m least worried about because it’s unusual for teams to string hits together against him.  It will happen, just sucks it cost them a win.  Otoh, that is the purpose of this season, so whatever.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Didn’t see the game, as I’m away, but Scott got hit last night..which doesn’t happen often.  

He threw 70% of his pitches for strikes and had a 22% swingstr%.  If he gets in trouble, it’s usually walks Allowed, no control, etc…last night he did walk the one guy but also gave up 3 hits.  

Of all the bad outings that he could have, these types of outings are the ones I’m least worried about because it’s unusual for teams to string hits together against him.  It will happen, just sucks it cost them a win.  Otoh, that is the purpose of this season, so whatever.

On the list of things I hate most in life, blowing a lead and losing with two outs in the ninth ranks way up there.   Doesn’t matter what our record is or how it affects our draft position.   I hate, hate, hate it.   About the only thing worse is losing that way to the Yankees or Red Sox.   My head has nearly exploded a few times over the years when that has happened.  

Thankfully, I wasn’t actually watching when we coughed up the lead.   I’d been at work following on Game Day, but got busy with a task while the O’s were batting in the 9th, and by the time I remembered about the game, it was over.  But, I’ve seen the highlights.  

As to Scott, the second “hit” was the pop fly where Mountcastle and Valaika collided.   That’s not on Scott.   But the final hit came on an 0-2 fastball that he put in a very poor location, belt high and in the outer third of the zone but not far enough out.   Not a pitch you want to see on 0-2.

One thing I’ve noticed this year is that Scott often has days where his command of the slider is better than the command of his fastball.   It’s odd.  

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Still have yet to see a valid reason why Wells wasn't available. Didn't pitch Tuesday and only threw 14 pitches in a fairly dominant showing on Monday. Unfortunately I think the real reason is they're just babying him a little. Frustrating.

That said - Tanner Scott should absoLUTEly be able to pitch a scoreless 9th inning to save a game. Like... it's wild that we're here talking about "why didn't our AA Rule 5 kid get the save opportunity??" (I know, he's 26). But that's honestly crazy. Tanner Scott has major league experience over the last FIVE years. Guy has to be able to shut down a game with that kind of arm. Instead we're clamoring for our Rule 5 pick. And I love Wells, but good lord. Somebody step up! 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Still have yet to see a valid reason why Wells wasn't available. Didn't pitch Tuesday and only threw 14 pitches in a fairly dominant showing on Monday. Unfortunately I think the real reason is they're just babying him a little. Frustrating.

That said - Tanner Scott should absoLUTEly be able to pitch a scoreless 9th inning to save a game. Like... it's wild that we're here talking about "why didn't our AA Rule 5 kid get the save opportunity??" (I know, he's 26). But that's honestly crazy. Tanner Scott has major league experience over the last FIVE years. Guy has to be able to shut down a game with that kind of arm. Instead we're clamoring for our Rule 5 pick. And I love Wells, but good lord. Somebody step up! 

On Wells, for some reason I thought he had pitched three days in a row as of Monday, which would have made it understandable that they were giving him two days off.   But he didn’t pitch on Sunday, so I was wrong about that.   But maybe Wells told them his arm was tired or something.   

As to Scott, regardless of how much experience he has, his command simply isn’t that good, and probably never will be.   He’s a useful bullpen piece but I’d never want him as my closer, not because he can’t handle pressure, but because he’s inconsistent.