Are the O's down on Urias?

Tony-OH

Tonight's lineup was announced and Ramon Urias rides the bench again as recently promoted Pat Valaika starts at SS. Considering that Valaika was optioned instead of Urias earlier this year, it seems strange with Galvis being out that he's not getting the reps at SS.

While Urias has not hit much this year in his opportunities, it seems like this would be a good time to give him some everyday PAs if they wanted to see him in that role. Unless he's dinged up with something, I'm a little surprised he's not starting.

It will be interesting to see if Galvis is ready whether he is sent back to AAA or Valaika, who also hasn't hit in his limited PAs this year. 

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Somewhere, @wildcardis happy that Valaika is up and getting at bats.

They might be down on Urias, he certainly hasn't show much this year.  I think he should get some consistent playing time/plate appearances but it's not like the guy profiles to be much of a hitter.

IMO Valaika has to play everyday to hit well.   He is not a great defensive SS but he is a better defensive than Urias.   Elias needed to find out about Urias.   So he kept him over Valaika.   But Urias,  and Ruiz are not hitting so he will give Valaika a try.   All of them are stop gaps.

No question Galvis gets his SS position back when he returns.  Then its a fight for 2nd.  I think Elias is watching the waiver wire closely.

Crazy as it seems, the O’s may feel that Valaika is a better defensive SS than Urias.   Valaika has played 400 pro games at SS (342 starts), with a .966 fielding percentage; Urias had played 345 games at SS (303 starts) with a .953 fielding percentage.   Most of Urias’ SS experience was in the Mexican League; in the movies, he’s played 2B and 3B far more than SS.   Valaika in the minors played SS as his primary position.   I do not regard Valaika as a good defensive SS, but there’s certainly evidence that Urias is worse.    So, I don’t think it’s about the hitting.