Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

Why confused, SG?  Gunnar is a 19 year old putting up monster numbers in full season A-Ball.  And he's put up those numbers consistently, not just for the last 5 games.  Rutschman certainly isn't "young" for his league, but his numbers at AA have been better than Witt's in A Ball.  I hope Witt is a quality player.  I hope Rutschman is too.  Both teams will be winners in that draft.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Why confused, SG?  Gunnar is a 19 year old putting up monster numbers in full season A-Ball.  And he's put up those numbers consistently, not just for the last 5 games.  Rutschman certainly isn't "young" for his league, but his numbers at AA have been better than Witt's in A Ball.  I hope Witt is a quality player.  I hope Rutschman is too.  Both teams will be winners in that draft.

Well Adley has nothing to do with what I was saying.

I’m confused as to what Gunnar producing in Low A has to do with Witt’s numbers in AA.   Why even mention it?  It’s apples and oranges.

Witt is over 3 years younger than the average age in AA.  Henderson is less than 2 years younger than the average age in low A ball.

Love what Henderson is doing and I don’t think he should have ever been in Delmarva but I don’t know why you are mentioning him for the post you quoted me in.

SG, the OP is about Adley Rutschman.  You raised Witt as an underaged player, I mentioned Henderson because he's an example of a quality Orioles is playing in a league for which he is also underaged.  That's all.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

SG, the OP is about Adley Rutschman.  You raised Witt as an underaged player, I mentioned Henderson because he's an example of a quality Orioles is playing in a league for which he is also underaged.  That's all.

That’s fine..it’s just that it didn’t have anything to do with Witt and I wasn’t comping Witt to anyone.  That’s why I was confused because I didn’t know (still don’t) wha the connection was.  

On 5/24/2021 at 4:56 PM, Yossarian said:

Insignificant observation:

I noticed Rutschman touched the bases with his left foot as he rounded them for the home run (even made a stutter step at second base to make sure he touched with his left foot at second base).  I don't know that I've ever seen someone do this.  Admittedly, I don't pay that much attention to how people touch the bases as they round them in their home run trots, the stutter step just caught my eye.  I always used my right foot - I think there was a lower chance of tripping over the bag by doing so.  I would guess most people touch them with their right foot.  Just a meaningless observation that has no bearing on anything whatsoever.

Bobby Witt, Jr. is playing great right now - just saying.

Just because I thought this was so bizarre (your reasoning, not that they hit the bag with their left foot), I began watching some home run trots from the past few days.  If players are worried about tripping over the bag when hitting with their left foot, probably safe to say they aren't coordinated enough to be on a major or minor league field.  That said, seems to be all about their stride.  DJ Stewart HR the other night, left foot to the bag. 2 of Gunnar's HR, left foot to the bag.  Sorry I went mythbusters on you.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s fine..it’s just that it didn’t have anything to do with Witt and I wasn’t comping Witt to anyone.  That’s why I was confused because I didn’t know (still don’t) wha the connection was.  

Because there's also zero reason for Witt to be brought up in this thread either?

"Witts also playing great right now" when he actually isn't (and yes, I'm aware he's young for his placement) is just pointless.

On 5/24/2021 at 2:56 PM, Yossarian said:

Insignificant observation:

I noticed Rutschman touched the bases with his left foot as he rounded them for the home run (even made a stutter step at second base to make sure he touched with his left foot at second base).  I don't know that I've ever seen someone do this.  Admittedly, I don't pay that much attention to how people touch the bases as they round them in their home run trots, the stutter step just caught my eye.  I always used my right foot - I think there was a lower chance of tripping over the bag by doing so.  I would guess most people touch them with their right foot.  Just a meaningless observation that has no bearing on anything whatsoever.

Bobby Witt, Jr. is playing great right now - just saying.

I was taught to use my inside(left) foot when rounding the bases. It is believed to be a split second faster because you can take a tighter line. That translates to the home run trot only in that it has become a habit, I would assume. 

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

I was taught to use my inside(left) foot when rounding the bases. It is believed to be a split second faster because you can take a tighter line. That translates to the home run trot only in that it has become a habit, I would assume. 

I was taught to swing a little wide approaching a base and hit the inside corner of the bag so I could with the outside foot and push off straight toward the next base.  The theory being that you could cut the distance (and time) running the bases.  You also avoid having to step over the obstacle (the bag) as you are running and avoid a potential trip or turned ankle or whatever.  Hitting the inside of the bag with your outside foot is the shortest path to the next base.

4 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

Just because I thought this was so bizarre (your reasoning, not that they hit the bag with their left foot), I began watching some home run trots from the past few days.  If players are worried about tripping over the bag when hitting with their left foot, probably safe to say they aren't coordinated enough to be on a major or minor league field.  That said, seems to be all about their stride.  DJ Stewart HR the other night, left foot to the bag. 2 of Gunnar's HR, left foot to the bag.  Sorry I went mythbusters on you.

No worries - like I said, I have not even paid attention to it until that video clip.  I always used my right foot.

5 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I was taught to swing a little wide approaching a base and hit the inside corner of the bag so I could with the outside foot and push off straight toward the next base.  The theory being that you could cut the distance (and time) running the bases.  You also avoid having to step over the obstacle (the bag) as you are running and avoid a potential trip or turned ankle or whatever.  Hitting the inside of the bag with your outside foot is the shortest path to the next base.

Same here. I even recall books with diagrams of the recommended path -- kind of a square with a rounded hunk in front of first, second and third base. 

Three walks and a single tonight in five PA.   His slash line is now .246/.441/.464.

After striking out 11 times in his first 29 PA, Rutschman has struck out only 8 times in his last 64 PA.    In that same stretch, he’s walked 18 times.    

It’s interesting that he’s never been truly hot with the bat this month, and yet he has a .441 OBP and a .905 OPS.    If he ever does get hot, watch out!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Three walks and a single tonight in five PA.   His slash line is now .246/.441/.464.

After striking out 11 times in his first 29 PA, Rutschman has struck out only 8 times in his last 64 PA.    In that same stretch, he’s walked 18 times.    

It’s interesting that he’s never been truly hot with the bat this month, and yet he has a .441 OBP and a .905 OPS.    If he ever does get hot, watch out!

I’ll settle for him never truly getting hot with a career OBP over .400!

If you are rounding a base with intent to keep running and go for the next base, it was taught to touch it with the left  foot which gives a bit of momentum, or a slight shove to head for the next base.  I do not know if that  tactic is taught now a days.