Reddit- Umpires have heavily favored Orioles opponents this season

Can_of_corn

So was the bigger problem overly generous calls against our hitters, or overly stingy calls against our pitchers.   If the latter, that may be a reflection on our catchers’ poor framing skills.  But the former can’t be explained that way.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So was the bigger problem overly generous calls against our hitters, or overly stingy calls against our pitchers.   If the latter, that may be a reflection on our catchers’ poor framing skills.  But the former can’t be explained that way.  

Pedro Severino is rated the worst pitch framer (58th) this year and Chance Sisco is ranked 54th. I'm no expert on this stat, but it might be as simple as the O's catchers poor framing skills. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catcher_framing

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Pedro Severino is rated the worst pitch framer (58th) this year and Chance Sisco is ranked 54th. I'm no expert on this stat, but it might be as simple as the O's catchers poor framing skills. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catcher_framing

That could go either way, though, no? Framing grades are based on resultant call, correct? So it’s potentially a bit circular to use that grading as the explanation 

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

That could go either way, though, no? Framing grades are based on resultant call, correct? So it’s potentially a bit circular to use that grading as the explanation 

Yeah, I had that thought too is it the chicken or the egg with the pitch framing rankings. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is more likely a product of poor framing than any bias the umps might have.

I would agree especially considering the catchers involved. Now if Adley gets called up and this trend continues, then I'm going to start questioning umpire bias and how the coaching staff is instructing the O's catchers. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is more likely a product of poor framing than any bias the umps might have.

Like I said, I’d like to know if our hitters are getting screwed as often as our pitchers.    That would answer the question pretty definitively IMO.  

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would agree especially considering the catchers involved. Now if Adley gets called up and this trend continues, then I'm going to start questioning umpire bias and how the coaching staff is instructing the O's catchers. 

On an interesting side note the difference was never enough to change the outcome of the game.