Every now and then, the Sports Gods throw you a bone: John Means' No Hitter

Sanfran327

Not sure if this has been mentioned, the soft line drive to Mullins hit by Crawford in the 6th had the highest expected BA at .480. I didn’t doubt for a second that Mullins had that, he gets a good jump every time. 
Feels unique, seems like there’s a great defensive play for every no hitter, but there weren’t any that really stood out yesterday. Only ball hit over 95mph was a pop up.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Greenpastures23 said:

The radio call was just ok

Jon Miller would have been incredible

Imagining that.  My biggest baseball fantasy is him coming back to Baltimore for his last year before retiring and calling a WS win for the O's.  Hopefully that can be with Means pitching.    

13 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

So now are we allowed to call John Means an “ace”?

No, but he is literally paving his way every outing.  What he did yesterday was outstanding.

34 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, the soft line drive to Mullins hit by Crawford in the 6th had the highest expected BA at .480. I didn’t doubt for a second that Mullins had that, he gets a good jump every time. 
Feels unique, seems like there’s a great defensive play for every no hitter, but there weren’t any that really stood out yesterday. Only ball hit over 95mph was a pop up.

This is pretty amazing.  The wild pitch not withstanding, it seems that the only thing missing was perhaps doing it in fewer pitches.

I will say this, yesterday is a perfect example of why I am enjoying this year.  No there will be no WS for the Orioles this year.  But we have crossed through the channel of the horribleness that comes with a true rebuild.  From here we will get glimpses of better days as we see a foundation built.  I care not whether Severino continues and see no reason to bemoan him at all.  He is but a place holder as many of the current Orioles are.  I appreciate their efforts while we wait and I savor the days like yesterday.  

John Means may not be extended or even kept for 4 years.  But he is a piece and he is going to either help us as a cornerstone or he is going to cost someone an a kings ransom.  That decision is not for me and not for today.  But TommyPickles asks a valid question.  John Means is not an "Ace" because he threw a No-Hitter yesterday.  But with every outing this year he is doing the work to earn the title.  Its fun.  I am loving it!!!

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It was the warning track fly ball in the eighth inning that made my heart jump. I really thought it was headed for the seats. 

Yeah my heart didn’t even sink on that one. I thought it was long gone. 

My younger brother is in the hospital with COVID and he was so thrilled , as we all are, with the no hitter yesterday.  His son, a radio show broadcaster in Winston Salem, posted this selfie video and it got picked up.  He and I are Os fans for all our lives. 
Please keep him in your prayers, he is doing a little better each day 

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2021/5/6/22422742/john-means-no-hitter-fan-hospital-covid

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

My younger brother is in the hospital with COVID and he was so thrilled , as we all are, with the no hitter yesterday.  His son, a radio show broadcaster in Winston Salem, posted this selfie video and it got picked up.  He and I are Os fans for all our lives. 
Please keep him in your prayers, he is doing a little better each day 

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2021/5/6/22422742/john-means-no-hitter-fan-hospital-covid

I watched this first thing this morning on ESPN app on my phone.  My first thought was I wonder if that guy is part of OH.  Please send him all of our best!  Glad he is doing a little better and maybe we see the O's in the playoffs again soon!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I thought this was going to be a picture of your new male order bride.

LMAOOOOOO SG with the jokes!

I love how you rip people on smarts...but I believe the phrase you were looking for was "mail-order bride".  That's called a homophone...words that sound the same but have a different meaning and spelling.  

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

LMAOOOOOO SG with the jokes!

I love how you rip people on smarts...but I believe the phrase you were looking for was "mail-order bride".  That's called a homophone...words that sound the same but have a different meaning and spelling.  

I’m aware..I was joking that you were marrying a dude. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that)

It’s called a play on words.