Can AM accomplish the following this off season?

bigbird

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of curiosity, what is it you like about Vazquez, SG? I understand Sonnanstine, but Vazquez's numbers really aren't doing it for me.

Very solid K and BB rates...And obviously, with that, good K/BB ratio.

Eats innings.

1 year deal...Ozzie is frustrated with him and we may be able to get him relatively cheaply...Should end up being worth 1 or 2 picks as well...A decent or better year for him should mean he gets a 3 year deal, so he wouldn't accept arbitration...Also, if he is pitching well, we may be able to unload him in July.

Because Marquis would get killed in the AL, especially in OPACY and he is owed like 9 million or so next year.

It wouldn't shock me if AM would do the deal Dave is saying though.

Good point about Marquis. I still think our rotation could use a veeran like presence though. Someone like a Jamie Moyrer. Someone who can mentor our young guys in the rotation..

BTW..Since your the Dodger scout..what does Ned plan to do his winter?

Good point about Marquis. I still think our rotation could use a veeran like presence though. Someone like a Jamie Moyrer. Someone who can mentor our young guys in the rotation..

BTW..Since your the Dodger scout..what does Ned plan to do his winter?

Tough to say...Right now, Manny is a top priority but I don't think the Dodgers will give him a 4 year deal, which Boras may try and hold out for.

There has been talk about a 2 year deal for 25-30 million but Manny can probably get more guaranteed money than that.

The Dodgers would love to get rid of at least 1 of A Jones or Pierre.

They are going to need at least 1 starter and maybe more depending on Schmidt...CC is also way up on their wish list.

They are going to need a third or second baseman(Dewitt can play either) and they are hoping to re-sign Furcal.

There has been talk of trading Russell Martin but I don't see them doing that.

BRob is a great target for them, whether they get Furcal or not.

Tough to say...Right now, Manny is a top priority but I don't think the Dodgers will give him a 4 year deal, which Boras may try and hold out for.

There has been talk about a 2 year deal for 25-30 million but Manny can probably get more guaranteed money than that.

The Dodgers would love to get rid of at least 1 of A Jones or Pierre.

They are going to need at least 1 starter and maybe more depending on Schmidt...CC is also way up on their wish list.

They are going to need a third or second baseman(Dewitt can play either) and they are hoping to re-sign Furcal.

There has been talk of trading Russell Martin but I don't see them doing that.

BRob is a great target for them, whether they get Furcal or not.

Yeah I dont see Manny taking a 2 year deal.

Will AJones ever be AJones of old again?

Yeah I dont see Manny taking a 2 year deal.

Will AJones ever be AJones of old again?

I wouldn't write him off....He has to get in shape and re-dedicate himself...Find his passion for the game again.

He may be done...2 bad years in a row but he isn't that far removed from being a beast so unless he is older than he is, it is hard to believe he is just done.

I think "Can Mcphail do it" is an unfair question. There are so many variables to each situtation that you mention, some of which are completely out of Mcphails control....

What happens if Brob's agent is out of commssion before a certain time?

What happens if Brob wants a deal between two dates?

What happens if Nick doesn't want to negotiate while doing something else?

What happens if an agent prioritizes with another player first?

What happens if Boras drags out a Tex negotiation?

While I would LOVE for Mcphail to be that powerful in the baseball world, lets get real here. He doesn't hold all the cards for making these things get done. In order for a trade to be made, or a deal to be signed -- two sides have to agree. Lord knows what goes on between the two sides. To make a shopping list with these types of things on them is pointless, IMO. I think given the makeup of this team compared to when Mcphail was just hired is lightyears ahead of where we were. I'm not buying into the "paper... plastic" logic just yet.

Guest BrettMeister86

this reflects the 4 point plan i discussed earlier. Extending Roberts only makes sense if we acquire Tex and are buyers more than sellers so i will take an extension as the orioles believing they WILL sign Tex

Extend Markakis

Extend Roberts

Trade Hernandez

Acquire starting pitcher #1

Acquire starting pitcher #2

Acquire a starting 1B

Acquire a starting SS

Sign quality minor league free agents for depth

=========

Seems like a lot for the pace he works at. We need to all of the above. Can AM handle it???? I was told he's working very hard at this time...

This seems like an AWFULLY tall order -- so color me hopeful, but highly skeptical.

This does seem like precisely the right list, with one exception. Somebody please explain to me why, aside from most posters' desire to sign Tex, 1B is considered such a desperate need. What the heck is wrong with Huff at 1B? He wants to play the field. He was a lot more capable in that role last year than many of us, including me, expected. Scott's physical ailments make him a natural for some substantial time at DH. Salazar slots in well as a RH backup at both 1B and DH. What exactly is the problem we're trying to fix here?

This seems like an AWFULLY tall order -- so color me hopeful, but highly skeptical.

This does seem like precisely the right list, with one exception. Somebody please explain to me why, aside from most posters' desire to sign Tex, 1B is considered such a desperate need. What the heck is wrong with Huff at 1B? He wants to play the field. He was a lot more capable in that role last year than many of us, including me, expected. Scott's physical ailments make him a natural for some substantial time at DH. Salazar slots in well as a RH backup at both 1B and DH. What exactly is the problem we're trying to fix here?

Huff is only signed for 1 year and would likely require a 5 year extension for 15 million a season IMO.

Tex may be more expensive, but he is offensively and defensively superior to Huff and is 4 years younger.

Huff is only signed for 1 year and would likely require a 5 year extension for 15 million a season IMO.

Tex may be more expensive, but he is offensively and defensively superior to Huff and is 4 years younger.

I really was trying to avoid a Tex debate on this, JTrea. I'll agree to disagree on that one -- although I really do fear for your mental well-being in the event we fail to sign the guy. ;)

So let's put Tex aside for a moment. In the event we DON'T sign Tex, for whatever reason, justified or not, why does 1B loom as one of our highest needs for the 2009 season, at a level of urgency/criticality similar to the other items on bb's list?

I really was trying to avoid a Tex debate on this, JTrea. I'll agree to disagree on that one -- although I really do fear for your mental well-being in the event we fail to sign the guy. ;)

So let's put Tex aside for a moment. In the event we DON'T sign Tex, for whatever reason, justified or not, why does 1B loom as one of our highest needs for the 2009 season, at a level of urgency/criticality similar to the other items on bb's list?

You just nailed the answer to your question. The free agents or trades we make should be for the long term success of the team. We should not be getting guys for 2009. So, in your hypothetical, if we do not get Tex, then first base is not a priority for 2009, but then becomes a MAJOR prioirty in 2010 and beyond unless you plan on extending Huff based on one tremendous year last year. Signing Tex is a long term investment to help this team compete on a yearly basis. It has nothing to do with winning in 2009.

Archived