Joey Ortiz 2021

Frobby

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Ortiz has played 5 games at short and Grenier has played 6 in the 11 games since Ortiz has joined the team.

I'm generally looking at Grenier's run with a dead cat bounce take (as always hoping to be wrong), and will hit an extra gear of excitement for Ortiz if/when the org starts giving him the lion's share of the Baysox SS reps.

I'm hopeful he's growing into flat out better than Grenier and think "my position"/"we are NOT in a job share" deployment would be part of that.   

• Upvote 1

If Ortiz is an option for SS in 2022, and Leyba is an option for 3B, and Jones/Vavra are options for 2B, I can’t help but wonder what Elias’ offseason shopping list would be. With Rutschman assumed to be up for most of 2022, and a bunch of young starters pushing to join Means, and a fairly set outfield, are we going out of house to fill anything other than the bullpen? I have expected there will be a need for a few one year deals. After the trade deadline, that will be an interesting question to start projecting. 

I watched Ortiz play at NM State for 2 seasons. He has crazy speed on the bases and some of the quickest hands at SS that I have ever seen. He can also hit. Ortiz at SS and Nick Gonzales (Pirates) at 2B were an amazing pair in the middle infield.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

If Ortiz is an option for SS in 2022, and Leyba is an option for 3B, and Jones/Vavra are options for 2B, I can’t help but wonder what Elias’ offseason shopping list would be. With Rutschman assumed to be up for most of 2022, and a bunch of young starters pushing to join Means, and a fairly set outfield, are we going out of house to fill anything other than the bullpen? I have expected there will be a need for a few one year deals. After the trade deadline, that will be an interesting question to start projecting. 

There may be some question about Leyba's arm at 3B or SS.  So adding a 3B may be one thing  the O's are looking to acquire.

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I watched Ortiz play at NM State for 2 seasons. He has crazy speed on the bases and some of the quickest hands at SS that I have ever seen. He can also hit. Ortiz at SS and Nick Gonzales (Pirates) at 2B were an amazing pair in the middle infield.

Pretty cool for New Mexico State to have two guys like that at the same time. When Ortiz was drafted he was the earliest drafted Aggie ever, going in the fourth round, and of course Gonzales went #7 overall the following year.

25 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Pretty cool for New Mexico State to have two guys like that at the same time. When Ortiz was drafted he was the earliest drafted Aggie ever, going in the fourth round, and of course Gonzales went #7 overall the following year.

Bradish was drafted in the 4th round in 2018 (#121) and Ortiz 2019 in the 4th round (#118).

Interesting to note that at one point, Ortiz, Gonzales, Bradish AND Tyler Irwin were all on the same team.

The 2018 NM State team that made it to the regionals was a very fun team to watch!

Edited by Lurker
  • Upvote 4

Ortiz was a standout in the game I saw in Hartford this past Sunday. Looked solid at the plate and in the field; homered, doubled, and started a slick 6–4–3 double play (nicely turned by Vavra).

I think he’s hype-train worthy.

11 hours ago, Ruzious said:

And he's one I think they're handling right - being 22 in AA.  Interesting that all 4 of his homers were at Bowie even though he had 30 more at bats at Aberdeen.  Are balls not travelling out in Aberdeen?  

Aberdeen has always been a tough place to hit homers.   

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 1:03 PM, Babkins said:

Ortiz was a standout in the game I saw in Hartford this past Sunday. Looked solid at the plate and in the field; homered, doubled, and started a slick 6–4–3 double play (nicely turned by Vavra).

I think he’s hype-train worthy.

I was at that game too. I agree!

On 6/11/2021 at 8:59 PM, Frobby said:

Aberdeen has always been a tough place to hit homers.   

Roughly related: I heard they turfed the surface at Aberdeen so players have some practice on it before having to play in TB or Toronto (though I’m sure cost savings also came into play).

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Roughly related: I heard they turfed the surface at Aberdeen so players have some practice on it before having to play in TB or Toronto (though I’m sure cost savings also came into play).

Wouldn't it be better to make one of the ST fields turf?