This is how many games Santander played last year

Frobby

The O’s last year had played 37 games when Santander got hurt.  All those conclusions about what a great season he had were based on that much baseball.   We’ve played 37 games now, so keep that in mind when you look at Mullins or whoever.  Still 125 games to go. 

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

My main takeaway is that Frobby is convinced that Maikel Franco is about to take off.   Glass half full.

It absolutely works both directions.   I didn’t consider my post to be negative.   Just pointing out that in a 60 game season, 37 games feel like a lot, but in a full 162 game season, it’s just a fraction that won’t really be noticed at season’s end.   Different players will get hot and cold over 37-game samples and it usually won’t prove a whole lot.   

He also had a decent 2019. Markakis did worse numerous times than Santander's .773 OPS. Even if he does not sustain .890 I think it is fair to expect he might sustain .820-.840 and end up being a decent player. He could also struggle with injury and suck but I don't think it's wrong to expect him to be at least decent. 

The point is of course valid, but can be considered incomplete. He was fine over 37 games. It’s only a third of a season, but he was good over 37 games, and he has been average or better during his entire time with us, when looking at the whole. There are certainly players Who are good or bad over 37 games who have a dreadful overall performance.

We’ve certainly seen enough of Sisco and Severino, and there’s no reason to keep either, unless the replacements are even worse, a bar that keeps getting lower.

We saw too much of Dwight Smith Jr and Mike Wright, and we’ve heard way too much of Melanie Newman and Scott Garceau, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What bothers me most is that Santander was only available for 37 of 60 games.  And now he's only been available for 16 of 37 games with no clear return date in sight.  At 24 of 37 games played, Austin Hays is downright sturdy this year in comparison.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

What bothers me most is that Santander was only available for 37 of 60 games.  And now he's only been available for 16 of 37 games with no clear return date in sight.  At 24 of 37 games played, Austin Hays is downright sturdy this year in comparison.

Have you ever noticed that Austin Hays and Anthony Santander are never on the same field at the same time?   Hmmmm...?

Honestly though, it’s not far from true.    They’ve only played 4/37 games together this year, even though at least one of them has been on the field in all 37 games.   Last year, they played together in only 19 of 60 games, even though at least one of them was on the field in 51 of 60.

It’s too bad, because Hays/Mullins/Santander is a really nice defensive alignment.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Have you ever noticed that Austin Hays and Anthony Santander are never on the same field at the same time?   Hmmmm...?

Honestly though, it’s not far from true.    They’ve only played 4/37 games together this year, even though at least one of them has been on the field in all 37 games.   Last year, they played together in only 19 of 60 games, even though at least one of them was on the field in 51 of 60.

It’s too bad, because Hays/Mullins/Santander is a really nice defensive alignment.  

If they were the same person, he would be available 110% of the time.  Wow!