Jones and Bannon for Franco and Ruiz?

Sports Guy

22 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Mason McCoy also has an OPS over .940 at Norfolk and should be better with the glove at 2B if Elias doesn't trust Jones. Richie Martin has a .659 OPS, so he's still looking bad at the plate. But thats four options Elias has for the infield. 

Wilkerson has a 1.021 OPS and can play a good 2B but I would wait until June 1st to make the decision.  Things chance.

Jahmai Jones has a .653 OPS in 700 ABs in AA. He needs a full season in AAA. 

We’re just struggling at 2B and 3B in the MLB. I don’t think Bannon, McCoy, Martin, or Wilkerson are the answer. We definitely have to ride out Franco until after the trade deadline in the hopes he heats up. Ruiz is on his last legs. But, the cupboard is pretty empty with upper level IF prospects. 

Vavra seems like our only legit prospect in AA or above. 

It is what it is. Hopefully we are able to trade some pieces this deadline to improve our IF depth. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Jahmai Jones has a .653 OPS in 700 ABs in AA. He needs a full season in AAA. 

We’re just struggling at 2B and 3B in the MLB. I don’t think Bannon, McCoy, Martin, or Wilkerson are the answer. We definitely have to ride out Franco until after the trade deadline in the hopes he heats up. Ruiz is on his last legs. But, the cupboard is pretty empty with upper level IF prospects. 

Vavra seems like our only legit prospect in AA or above. 

It is what it is. Hopefully we are able to trade some pieces this deadline to improve our IF depth. 

If Vavra and Dorrian keep hitting the way they are in Bowie for another month, I wouldn't mind skipping them over Norfolk IF the O's believe in them.  They're both 24 - not kids.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ruzious said:

If Vavra and Dorrian keep hitting the way they are in Bowie for another month, I wouldn't mind skipping them over Norfolk IF the O's believe in them.  They're both 24 - not kids.  

I’m a big fan of the “They’re not kids” way of thinking. No need to hold these players back to start there service time so we can have them when they’re 32. However, I think there is a big difference between Vavra and Dorian. At least as it seems. Vavra seems to have some real pedigree. 

How did we acquire Dorian? 

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m a big fan of the “They’re not kids” way of thinking. No need to hold these players back to start there service time so we can have them when they’re 32. However, I think there is a big difference between Vavra and Dorian. At least as it seems. Vavra seems to have some real pedigree. 

How did we acquire Dorian? 

He was the PTBNL in the Yefry Ramirez trade.  So the pedigree certainly is not there.  Right now he's a guy that got off to a great start.  But at 24 he's not too old to be interesting.  Maybe he made some adjustments.  The opportunity at the MLB level is there.  At minimum he's become another interesting guy to follow in the minors for a bit.

Does anyone actually believe Jones or Bannon will be anything more than utility players? I’m all for bringing them up because I just prefer watching younger players test their skills against the best over watching players that have had a few years to get acclimated and just haven’t. But the question for me remains...are Jones and Bannon just our next Flaherty? And if that’s a reasonable ceiling for either player (with some differences...I’m aware neither will play SS) then in the end, does it really matter if they’re playing in Baltimore or Norfolk other than it’s slightly more interesting to see rookies?

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

Does anyone actually believe Jones or Bannon will be anything more than utility players? I’m all for bringing them up because I just prefer watching younger players test their skills against the best over watching players that have had a few years to get acclimated and just haven’t. But the question for me remains...are Jones and Bannon just our next Flaherty? And if that’s a reasonable ceiling for either player (with some differences...I’m aware neither will play SS) then in the end, does it really matter if they’re playing in Baltimore or Norfolk other than it’s slightly more interesting to see rookies?

It is extremely likely that both of them are role/bench player type guys.  Not sure that either will both hit enough and show good enough defense to play everyday.

That being said, there is potential for them to be more than that and that potential is far more compelling than what Ruiz is offering us and giving Franco everyday at bats when he is performing as poorly as he is.

Im glad they signed Franco and I don’t want to cut him for at least another month but if he isn’t going to hits he really has no value to us.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If Bannon can maintain .900 OPS in AAA and carry it through to Majors he would be more than utility. Flaherty's career OPS in AAA was .800, although his AA was closer to .900. 

Yes that’s true.  If he is one of the best offensive players in the sport, he certainly will be more than a UTi guy.  

Way to go out on a limb there!  :D

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It is extremely likely that both of them are role/bench player type guys.  Not sure that either will both hit enough and show good enough defense to play everyday.

That being said, there is potential for them to be more than that and that potential is far more compelling than what Ruiz is offering us and giving Franco everyday at bats when he is performing as poorly as he is.

Im glad they signed Franco and I don’t want to cut him for at least another month but if he isn’t going to hits he really has no value to us.

It’s the nihilist in me I suppose but I just can’t get too excited about Bannon and Jones. They’re not really a part of the future but a bridge during the last years of competitive futility that if all goes well might be able to hold a bench job when we’re winning again. Not totally hopeless but these types of players will not be hard to come by when the need arises.

Of course with that being said, I’d still rather watch them in place of Franco and Ruiz. Especially Ruiz.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes that’s true.  If he is one of the best offensive players in the sport, he certainly will be more than a UTi guy.  

Way to go out on a limb there!  :D

No doubt! Just thinking with the glass half full. Of course, whether he does that or even comes close is an entirely different story.