2022 early look top prospects

Brooks Lee with 30 walks and 10 strikeouts and glowing reports about his swing from both sides.  Most think he's a 2B or 3B but some think he could stay at SS.   Some have Druw Jones in the HOF already but I could see Lee as the pick.  

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Brooks Lee with 30 walks and 10 strikeouts and glowing reports about his swing from both sides.  Most think he's a 2B or 3B but some think he could stay at SS.   Some have Druw Jones in the HOF already but I could see Lee as the pick.  

I’m trying really hard not to pre-judge anything.   There’s still more than a month’s worth of games to play, new data points coming in every day.   

Is it likely that Cal Poly (Lee’s school) will be in the NCAA playoffs?   From what I could see they are 24-15, second in the Big West, but their RPI is only 113.   It would be nice to see him against some elite competition.  

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m trying really hard not to pre-judge anything.   There’s still more than a month’s worth of games to play, new data points coming in every day.   

Is it likely that Cal Poly (Lee’s school) will be in the NCAA playoffs?   From what I could see they are 24-15, second in the Big West, but their RPI is only 113.   It would be nice to see him against some elite competition.  

Well, the lackluster competition didn't stop them from taking Cowser, so we will see.

The team has plenty of draft pool money and you have no idea who will be there later.  No reason to pass on Jones, if you believe he's the best talent, to save 1-2M to maybe use on a good talent later.  

I mean, how many of those "fall in the draft, over slot talents" pan out anyway?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, the lackluster competition didn't stop them from taking Cowser, so we will see.

The team has plenty of draft pool money and you have no idea who will be there later.  No reason to pass on Jones, if you believe he's the best talent, to save 1-2M to maybe use on a good talent later.  

I mean, how many of those "fall in the draft, over slot talents" pan out anyway?

You won’t get an argument from me, if Jones is the best talent.   I just don’t know what Elias will think about who’s the best talent on draft day, or how close the next guy or two is.   if it’s obviously Jones at the top, they should take him.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

McDaniel came out with his updated list today:

1. Jones 60 FV

2. Johnson 55

3. Holliday 55

4. Lee 55

5. Green 50

1. Druw Jones (18.6), CF, Wesleyan HS (GA), Vanderbilt commit 

You can read more about him here, but just the tool grades should make this an obvious choice: plus (or more) hitter with plus (or more) power projection and plus-plus speed, defense (in center field), and arm strength that could also be utilized in the infield where he projects as a big league average shortstop despite limited time playing the position. Jones' weakness right now is lifting the ball in games, but the overall skill set at this age is reminiscent of a talent like Byron Buxton -- though there is no perfect comp given Jones' unique traits.

There are a number of draft related topics, so I apologize if this was posted in another:

Mayo mock draft:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-mlb-2022

1. Orioles: Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly (No. 5)
The Orioles have saved money by taking a top college bat the past two years, so for this first edition, I’m going that route. They’re heavily scouting the top four high school bats (Druw Jones, Elijah Green, Termarr Johnson, Jackson Holliday) as well as Lee and Jacob Berry on the college hitter side of things.

2. D-backs: Druw Jones, OF, Wesleyan HS, Ga. (No. 1)
Arizona won’t hesitate to take the best player on the board, much like they did last year when Jordan Lawlar got to them at No. 6. And right now, Jones is that player.

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Big series this weekend against UC Santa Barbara, my alma mater, and the best team in the Big West. Santa Barbara's Friday night starter, Cory Lewis is a top 200 prospect, will be an interesting matchup.

The Big West does not hold a tournament, their automatic bid goes to whoever has the best season record. UCSB is 16-2 in the conference and Cal Poly is 11-4. UCSB has 9 Big West games remaining after this weekend's series, Cal Poly has 12. In my opinion, if Cal Poly doesn't win 2 of 3 this weekend, their odds of winning the conference are extremely remote and they really need a sweep to feel comfortable.

I agree that it is pretty unlikely that Cal Poly gets an at-large bid with an RPI that low, so they really need to take this series.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, calsmanystances said:

There are a number of draft related topics, so I apologize if this was posted in another:

Mayo mock draft:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-mlb-2022

They’re (the O's) heavily scouting the top four high school bats (Druw Jones, Elijah Green, Termarr Johnson, Jackson Holliday) as well as Lee and Jacob Berry on the college hitter side of things.

Well, at least they are kicking all the right tires!

MLB Draft Live Looks: April Recap — Prospects Live

Parada’s bat is a 60 hit/60 power weapon of destruction, and the raw power could easily be 70 grade, as well. He’s got more home runs than strikeouts on the year so far, which is pretty unprecedented to see in this day of age. While there’s some questions about his defense behind the plate, it’ll be tough for any team to not include him in their lineup. Could he work at first base? Or, maybe even third? There’s a lot to dissect there, but either way you dice it up, Parada likely slots himself somewhere in the top five in this draft.

On 4/27/2022 at 2:27 PM, Sports Guy said:

1. Druw Jones (18.6), CF, Wesleyan HS (GA), Vanderbilt commit 

You can read more about him here, but just the tool grades should make this an obvious choice: plus (or more) hitter with plus (or more) power projection and plus-plus speed, defense (in center field), and arm strength that could also be utilized in the infield where he projects as a big league average shortstop despite limited time playing the position. Jones' weakness right now is lifting the ball in games, but the overall skill set at this age is reminiscent of a talent like Byron Buxton -- though there is no perfect comp given Jones' unique traits.

First I’ve heard the bit about shortstop being a possibility for Jones.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, survivedc said:

First I’ve heard the bit about shortstop being a possibility for Jones.

I'll take the Buxton comp for Jones.  I read that Buxton has the top WAR/game in baseball.  He's just hurt all the time and misses so many games.  Make it a healthy Buxton.

15 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

MLB Draft Live Looks: April Recap — Prospects Live

Parada’s bat is a 60 hit/60 power weapon of destruction, and the raw power could easily be 70 grade, as well. He’s got more home runs than strikeouts on the year so far, which is pretty unprecedented to see in this day of age. While there’s some questions about his defense behind the plate, it’ll be tough for any team to not include him in their lineup. Could he work at first base? Or, maybe even third? There’s a lot to dissect there, but either way you dice it up, Parada likely slots himself somewhere in the top five in this draft.

Last year, we missed on the opportunity to pair Henry Davis with Adley.  Could we go with Parada and alternate 1B/DH/Catcher?

25 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Was wondering the same thing.  Could dual-hat in the under-slot department, too.

I'd still prefer Jones but if Elias wants to go with a college player, the decision between Lee and Parada could be interesting, especially if Lee is not seen as a SS and Parada can stick at catcher.