2022 early look top prospects

Keith Law on Brooks Lee:

“seems like the ideal player for any team drafting up that doesn’t want the higher risk of a high school player. There are other college players who could go in the top 10, but all have some variable about them that makes them riskier than Lee. What I don’t see here is the ceiling of guys like Druw Jones, Termarr Johnson or even Elijah Green, the three high school players most likely to go in the top five (you might add Jackson Holliday, Matt’s son, after his strong showing in Arizona last month). Lee doesn’t project to plus power, isn’t a burner on the bases, and doesn’t project to plus defense at second or third, although he could probably be a strong 55 at either spot with time. That’s a solid pick in a weak draft class, but some teams might prefer to roll the dice on the chance they’ll get a superstar.”

He also says Lee is “definitely not a shortstop.”

https://theathletic.com/3228396/2022/04/04/scouting-some-top-college-prospects-for-the-2022-mlb-draft-keith-laws-latest-observations/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Keith Law on Brooks Lee:

“seems like the ideal player for any team drafting up that doesn’t want the higher risk of a high school player. There are other college players who could go in the top 10, but all have some variable about them that makes them riskier than Lee. What I don’t see here is the ceiling of guys like Druw Jones, Termarr Johnson or even Elijah Green, the three high school players most likely to go in the top five (you might add Jackson Holliday, Matt’s son, after his strong showing in Arizona last month). Lee doesn’t project to plus power, isn’t a burner on the bases, and doesn’t project to plus defense at second or third, although he could probably be a strong 55 at either spot with time. That’s a solid pick in a weak draft class, but some teams might prefer to roll the dice on the chance they’ll get a superstar.”

https://theathletic.com/3228396/2022/04/04/scouting-some-top-college-prospects-for-the-2022-mlb-draft-keith-laws-latest-observations/

I'm not taking Law's word for gospel, but I've seen similar sentiment and the more I read about Lee, the more I think about pre-draft Austin Martin and the hushed concerns regarding position and power. If Lee is a second-basemen, give me the ceiling (and risk) of Temarr Johnson or Druw Jones; it's the last chance at a guaranteed 1-1 pick, blow it out by pushing in chips and hoping that your cards come up winners. 

• Upvote 1

There are 3 months to go, but it's a 2 horse race for me- Johnson (my preference) and Jones Jr.   Green probably has the best tools in the draft and has had a great year so far, but the strikeouts concern me enough to put him 3rd...

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Keith Law on Brooks Lee:

If Lee isn't likely to stick at SS then I can't see him being a viable option at 1-1, as the position and his higher floor are the main reasons to pick him. Now watch him turn into Jeter for some other club. 

10 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If Lee isn't likely to stick at SS then I can't see him being a viable option at 1-1, as the position and his higher floor are the main reasons to pick him. Now watch him turn into Jeter for some other club. 

I see another Austin Martin here, no defensive upside in the middle, no SB ability and no power. I would rather roll the dice on Jones and Johnson with the incredible upside.

3 minutes ago, dbmillertime said:

Chase out for at least 3 weeks and potentially the rest of the spring with broken foot.  Recent mocks had him going around the 15th pick, but could this drop him to to the O’s comp pick?https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2022-mlb-draft-james-madison-outfielder-chase-delauter-out-with-broken-left-foot/?amphtml

If you were in on him would this cause you to change your mind?

It's a broken foot.

Wouldn't change my mind unless it was something that needed microfracture surgery to fix.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:16 AM, ShoelesJoe said:

To be fair, Jeter shouldn't have stuck at SS either.

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

You can get stats from MaxPreps

Elijah Green this year so far. 

.527 avg

.644 obp

7 hr

1.753 ops

15 bb

13 k

All in 73 PA

I'd say that's pretty impressive.  Is his K rate low enough to minimize the swing and miss concerns?