2022 early look top prospects

9 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Who does everyone like? To me Jones definitely. So I am sure Elias will go with the college SS (really a 3b). 

I have to be honest.   I don’t have the chops to study video and have an informed opinion, it’s hard to separate results and quality of competition, and I never know which pundit to believe.  Also, I really haven’t heard much in the last month about which of these guys (especially the high school guys) is moving the needle by what they’ve done this season.  So, I form loose opinions, but at the end of the day I expect Elias and his crew to have much better information than anyone else and to make good decisions.   Whoever they choose I will support them and hope they are right.   

That said, it seems to me this is boiling down to the three high school guys and Brooks Lee.   I’d probably go with one of the HS guys, but Lee’s a pretty good choice too.   The pick is still nearly three months away and I hope to hear a lot more by then about all four to try to distinguish them.   Based on what little I know I’d probably rank them Jones/Johnson/Greene/Lee, but that’s not set in stone. 

• Upvote 3

The Athletic published a piece about Jones today that cited his stats to date:

”Not even that kind of pressure has appeared to affect Jones. He has batted nearly .600, with 43 hits, including eight home runs, in his first 24 games. He has coupled a comical .597/.685/1.028 slash line with 17 stolen bases in 18 tries.”

Interesting interview with Keith Law. He talks about the arrival of the Orioles top prospects at around the 10:30 mark. Around the 30:45 mark, he discusses the draft. He believes Jones separated himself from everyone else and that Tamarr Johnson is not the #2 prospect. Also mentions that Dylan Lesko is hurt.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Scouting for the 2022 MLB Draft: Druw Jones the top prospect; Temarr Johnson has an elite hit tool – The Athletic

No access for me...  But others may enjoy the read...  And give a summary?

I do have access, and that title pretty much says it all.   The stats for Jones in my post above are from the article.   There’s really nothing new in the article.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Scouting for the 2022 MLB Draft: Druw Jones the top prospect; Temarr Johnson has an elite hit tool – The Athletic

No access for me...  But others may enjoy the read...  And give a summary?

Law opines Jones is the current best choice at 1-1, as a CF; Johnson is risky despite a great hit tool and great makeup, but lack of sureness on what position he will play; Lesko is hurt and it seems likely no pitchers go in the top-10 (college or prep).

Not a ton of meat in it, there was a lot of "scouts are saying..."

Edit: basically what Frobby said in more concise words in the post above mine that I somehow missed.

4 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Law opines Jones is the current best choice at 1-1, as a CF; Johnson is risky despite a great hit tool and great makeup, but lack of sureness on what position he will play; Lesko is hurt and it seems likely no pitchers go in the top-10 (college or prep).

Not a ton of meat in it, there was a lot of "scouts are saying..."

Edit: basically what Frobby said in more concise words in the post above mine that I somehow missed.

In the video interview posted above, Law explains a bit more about Johnson.  There are concerns about his size (5’8 and not likely to grow more), and he plays against very weak competition so there’s risk in projecting how his tools will play against elite competitors.   Law isn’t saying that Johnson’s success is the result of playing against weak competition, just that there’s risk there.  

He also mentions that Jackson Holliday, son of Matt Holliday, now appears likely to go top 5.   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Athletic published a piece about Jones today that cited his stats to date:

”Not even that kind of pressure has appeared to affect Jones. He has batted nearly .600, with 43 hits, including eight home runs, in his first 24 games. He has coupled a comical .597/.685/1.028 slash line with 17 stolen bases in 18 tries.”

He’s going to be a superstar.

You don’t pass on Jones for any reason.  You draft him, you pay him and you let his immense talent take over.  You don’t worry about getting someone who slipped in the 6th round.

The Orioles have a ton of draft pool money and have 5 of the top 75 picks.  Go big those 5 picks and draft relievers the rest of the draft for all I care but go for as much high level talent as possible.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t pass on Jones for any reason.  You draft him, you pay him and you let his immense talent take over.  You don’t worry about getting someone who slipped in the 6th round.

The Orioles have a ton of draft pool money and have 5 of the top 75 picks.  Go big those 5 picks and draft relievers the rest of the draft for all I care but go for as much high level talent as possible.

This is my thinking as well, especially this year being the last year the Orioles are guaranteed the 1-1 pick as reward for the team's generally sucktitude.  Blow your budget on your first few picks and scrape through the rest. Hitting on a hidden gem in the 16th round is a fun story and all, but it rarely happens and history has shown that you have better luck at the top of the draft.