2022 early look top prospects

3 minutes ago, Anonsnides said:

You might be. I'm not seeing how a guy who's pretty consistently been in the top 3 players available on draft day has "no business" being taken #1.

Seems like Johnson has the opposite of helium right now but he was certainly the top guy heading into this year, for many, and was still in top 5 talk very recently.  

11 minutes ago, joelala said:

Hyperbole is the best thing ever 

I’m not using it.  A small second baseman with limited athleticism has no business being the first pick in the draft…especially with the players in front of him.  I’m not saying he can’t be a top 10 pick but I think he’s being passed by other HS players and some of the college guys.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He has no business being the #1 pick.  

Oh, I agree completely. I have had the same concerns as I described from the first time I watched video. Yes, he looks like he can hit. But the body type scares me. Positional inflexibility also a problem for me. 

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Before the season he was touted as being a generational hitting talent. At that time positional flexibility wasn't a big concern. Just saying.  

It was a concern for some.

This happens in every draft.  This is why you have to let the process play out.  

You will hear guys now that are touted to be top 10 picks in the NFL draft and they will go far later.  This time last year, people thought Sam Howell was going to be in contention for the first pick.  He went in the 4th round.  

It happens all the time, in all sports.  Johnson may still go high and the MlB draft is different because slot values but I get talent wise, he is going to end up closer to the 10-15 range on teams boards vs top 5.

https://pressboxonline.com/2022/05/11/espns-kiley-mcdaniel-why-druw-jones-is-top-prospect-in-2022-mlb-draft/

But if the Orioles are looking for a potential transformational talent atop the draft, then Jones is probably the way to go, according to McDaniel.

“He’s got all those things you want in terms of performance and now skills, but he has the frame and the twitch and athleticism,” McDaniel said on Glenn Clark Radio May 10. “I saw Fernando Tatis Jr. as a 15-year-old. He was just pretty good. And then by about 17, it was like, ‘Oh my gosh, this is a totally different guy,’ because he was long and lanky and projectable and sometimes that stuff can explode. Druw Jones has some of that same stuff. Now, it’s still one in five, one in six that he hits anywhere near those heights, but he’s the only guy that has a chance to be that kind of guy.”

The Orioles have had three top-five picks under GM Mike Elias and have taken college position players with all three of those selections: Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman, Arkansas outfielder Heston Kjerstad and Sam Houston State outfielder Colton Cowser. Kjerstad and Cowser signed for significantly under-slot bonuses, allowing the Orioles to spread money around later in those drafts.

McDaniel said there has been conversation in the industry since the end of last season about whether the Orioles will pivot to a high school kid this time around. McDaniel explained that most superstar-caliber players were either high-end international signings or top-of-the-draft high schoolers. Jones may fit the bill.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It was a concern for some.

This happens in every draft.  This is why you have to let the process play out.  

You will hear guys now that are touted to be top 10 picks in the NFL draft and they will go far later.  This time last year, people thought Sam Howell was going to be in contention for the first pick.  He went in the 4th round.  

It happens all the time, in all sports.  Johnson may still go high and the MlB draft is different because slot values but I get talent wise, he is going to end up closer to the 10-15 range on teams boards vs top 5.

5th round. But that just accentuates your point. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2022-mlb-draft-buzz-the-orioles-plans-at-number-1-college-catchers-rising-and-more/

Wesleyan (Suwanee, Ga.) High outfielder Druw Jones has separated himself as the clear-cut top prospect in this year’s draft, but industry officials believe the Orioles were targeting Louisiana State third baseman Jacob Berry for an under-slot deal with the No. 1 pick before Berry suffered a broken finger in his right hand during practice last week. Berry’s injury has created lots of uncertainty about what the Orioles will now do with the top overall pick. Jones is expected to command a full slot bonus, but the Orioles have the largest bonus pool in the draft at $16.924 million and can afford to pay it.

45 minutes ago, jamesenoch said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2022-mlb-draft-buzz-the-orioles-plans-at-number-1-college-catchers-rising-and-more/

Wesleyan (Suwanee, Ga.) High outfielder Druw Jones has separated himself as the clear-cut top prospect in this year’s draft, but industry officials believe the Orioles were targeting Louisiana State third baseman Jacob Berry for an under-slot deal with the No. 1 pick before Berry suffered a broken finger in his right hand during practice last week. Berry’s injury has created lots of uncertainty about what the Orioles will now do with the top overall pick. Jones is expected to command a full slot bonus, but the Orioles have the largest bonus pool in the draft at $16.924 million and can afford to pay it.

LOL imagine the ire here if we take Berry. 

48 minutes ago, jamesenoch said:

Also, what, do we think the finger injury is career threatening? Lol not sure why that would create any additional uncertainty. This report is weird.  I also hope it’s wrong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

LOL imagine the ire here if we take Berry. 

There will be ire we take anyone but Druw Jones.   Maybe not an uproar if it's Elijah Green.   Mild uproar if it's Jackson Holliday or Termarr Johnson.  Big uproar if it's Brooks Lee.   HUGE uproar if it's Berry because I think at least Lee is seen as having some defensive value.

Hard to believe Elias has put his cards on the table or shown the deck to anyone.    I see any leaked rumors or rumors in general as being negotiating tactics.   If Andruw Jones and his agent believe the Orioles are seriously considering someone else at #1, that only give the Orioles a little leverage in saving a few bucks IF Jones's camp believes it.    Then again, they have gone college player in all three drafts and Berry is said, by some, to be the best college bat.

• Upvote 1