Who’s next to go?

Philip

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's honestly pretty wild that Sisco is still getting starts. He HAS to be one of the very worst position players in the game right now. 

Does Sisco have an option remaining? I tried looking this up last night and it seems like he has a minor league option left, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. 

I know this year isn't about winning, but the play of Severino and Sisco at catch is so poor that something needs to change. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It actually pretty wild that he isn’t getting a lot more starts. 

Yeah pick a lane with him I guess. But like, he's truly truly awful this season. When he swings there's like no oomph behind it, he just kinda lays the bat out there all limp. I see absolutely nothing to like about his offensive game at this point. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah pick a lane with him I guess. But like, he's truly truly awful this season. When he swings there's like no oomph behind it, he just kinda lays the bat out there all limp. I see absolutely nothing to like about his offensive game at this point. 

He barely plays.  Give him sustained at bats and then see how he looks.

Im far from married to the guy...I wanted him traded years ago but he represents upside with the bat given his pro history.  He should be given more chances.

Adley will hopefully be up in 6 weeks anyway but still, play Sisco and see what he can do.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It actually pretty wild that he isn’t getting a lot more starts. 

Why? Are you a glutton for punishment? I just watched the catastrophe that was Miguel Sano’s RBI single last night.

Stewart Got the ball to the plate in plenty of time, it was a good throw. It bounced, but it bounced a couple of feet in front of Cisco and didn’t change direction it stayed in front of him, and Sisco just lost it. 
Do you really think that playing him every day is going to fix things like that? No he was a bad pick the day he was picked, and the sooner he goes away the sooner he can start his career in Korea or Taiwan or in selling insurance.

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have been pulling for Cisco for years, but my opinion on him is starting to change.  You're right, zero energy and enthusiasm.  His body language makes it seem like he doesn't want to be there.  Chance really should observe guys like Wilkerson and Hays and take notes.

49 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why? Are you a glutton for punishment? I just watched the catastrophe that was Miguel Sano’s RBI single last night.

Stewart Got the ball to the plate in plenty of time, it was a good throw. It bounced, but it bounced a couple of feet in front of Cisco and didn’t change direction it stayed in front of him, and Sisco just lost it. 
Do you really think that playing him every day is going to fix things like that? No he was a bad pick the day he was picked, and the sooner he goes away the sooner he can start his career in Korea or Taiwan or in selling insurance.

What I think is you are completely wrong on this entire situation and you grossly overrate things.

I was clear as to why I think he should get more at bats, so I hope that answers your question.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What I think is you are completely wrong on this entire situation and you grossly overrate things.

I was clear as to why I think he should get more at bats, so I hope that answers your question.

Well, I have been clear on why I think he should not, and I have more ammunition for my side. So I guess we return to our corners and wait for the next bell.

Stay hydrated!

Just now, Philip said:

Well, I have been clear on why I think he should not, and I have more ammunition for my side. So I guess we return to our corners and wait for the next bell.

Stay hydrated!

You have no ammo because you are so blind to the situation of this team right now.

You just don’t get it.  I’m not sure what needs to happen for you to understand where this team is and what they are doing but right now, it’s pretty clear you have no idea.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

A staff of talented pitchers is always preferable.   But it takes a guy like Holt to hold together a staff like what the O's have.

I can't find anything recent about Holt on the Internet, so I'm posting what a wrote a little ago, with apologies if it's now out-of-date.

I don't know how indispensable a strong pitching coach is. But going back to the days of Ray Miller and George Bamberger, I tend to think a guy like that can be really helpful, largely because I see a lot of teams making a big deal about pitching coaches they hire, and because both teams and individual pitches often give credit to their pitching coaches for physical and mental changes that have helped them. (Means has been especially effusive in giving Holt credit for his recent success.) It would deem to me that the circumstances of much of the Orioles' staff -- young guys still learning for the first time how to pitch at the ML level, other young guys who've had a little ML success, apparently have been adjusted to by hitters (and scouts), and need to figure out how to adjust to those adjustments, and a few veterans who might need to be convinced to make some changes -- make it especially likely that the daily presence of a strong pitching coach could be a big help.

I don't know what is going on on with Holt, but I infer that it's both highly personal and serious. What I do know is that, both as a matter of helping pitchers develop their skills (and determine the limits of those skills) and winning more games (something I care about, though I realize many of the team's fans, its general manager, and maybe its manager and coaches don't), a high-quality, hands-on pitching coach may be a big help, and the absence of a coach in full charge of the pitching staff may hinder both development and the team's day-to-day performance.

For the month of May, the Oriole pitchers rank (and "rank" is a good word) as follows in the AL: 15th in ERA, 14th in highest WHIP, 15th in highest BA, 15th in most runs and earned runs, 14th in pitches per inning, and tied for 15th in saves. I don't see how a team in that position --  with a pitching staff that stunk even with high-quality, direct coaching -- can afford to go forward with a less-than-optimal coaching arrangement.

Going back to the OP about next-to-go, I have two suggestions.

Catcher. Severino as the regular catcher is unacceptable to me because it's important for a catcher to catch the ball well, and he's proven to me that he can't do that. After 250 ML games, I don't think it's likely he'll improve much at catching a ball when it's pitched, thrown to him for a tag at the plate, or popped up in his direction, high in the air with a lot of backspin. If the Orioles think he can learn to do those things a lot better, fine -- play him half-time. If not, put him on the bench, starting or pinch-hitting him against some lefties, and replace him with Adley when the time is ripe (or before then with one of the Norfolk catchers if that time becomes ripe). In the meantime, I think Sisco's defense, while not very good, is a lot better and at times seems to be improving. With Severino reduced to a back-up, give Sisco a month or six weeks to see whether he hits to go along with his walks. The team then will be a better position to make a decision whether he's a viable candidate for back-up catcher in the future. 

Third base. I've seen enough of Franco. He's good at throwing the ball but not so good at catching it, he's not hitting (just a .408 OPS in the last 30 days, which surprised me), and his failure to run out ground balls does not set a good example). Maybe he's a great veteran presence in the clubhouse or contributes in some other way that makes him worth keeping. I would hate to think things are so bad that he's worth keeping as a pinch-hitter or defensive replacement. Wilkerson and Valaika haven't played much third base, but if either of them can throw the ball across the diamond accurately and in a zippier fashion than Wilkinson chucks it from the mound, I'd give him a try there and put the other guy at second. Yes, even if the Orioles have to eat a hunk of Franco's hefty $800,000 salary (ninth highest on the team).

Yeah, I'd like to see Sisco get 2 months as the regular catcher with Severino (or someone else) as the back-up.  I suspect he will fail as I just don't see it with the bat, but at least he has a history of hitting in the pros and doesn't flat out miss the ball as much as Severino does.  I'm pretty much finished with Pedro.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Armstrong, Matt Harvey, Lopez, Sulser and Valdez.

All of them could be DFa’ed or moved to the pen.

Sulser has been our best bullpen arm all year.  I think Lopez could do really well at the back end of the bullpen.  Change of roles for him and Valdez.   Hunter Harvey and Tate back soon, and I think things will stabilize.

M Harvey and Armstrong - don't let the door hit ya.