Jahmai Jones 2021

Ohfan67

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

So, he's hitting well at Norfolk in a very SSS.  The O's have... nobody really at 2nd base now.  Doesn't it make sense to give Jones a shot in Baltimore and move up one of the infielders from Bowie to Norfolk?  

I actually think Leyba may get the first crack at the 2B job in Baltimore. More gut feel than anything. That said, I agree with you that I’d like to see one of the two promoted and playing by the end of the month.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

So, he's hitting well at Norfolk in a very SSS.  The O's have... nobody really at 2nd base now.  Doesn't it make sense to give Jones a shot in Baltimore and move up one of the infielders from Bowie to Norfolk?  

I would jump Vavra over him personally but yes, give him a shot.  It’s pretty crazy that this team seemingly has better options for so many positions in the minors and yet they don’t want to do anything about it.  As a fan, it’s extremely irritating.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I would jump Vavra over him personally but yes, give him a shot.  It’s pretty crazy that this team seemingly has better options for so many positions in the minors and yet they don’t want to do anything about it.  As a fan, it’s extremely irritating.

They can't even use the service time as an excuse for most of these guys. 

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They can't even use the service time as an excuse for most of these guys. 

That’s the thing.  These aren’t guys where service time should be an issue.  They aren’t elite guys.  You bring them up and give them their chance.

Its just so frustrating.  In a season where winning doesn’t matter and you have several players showing you that they are ready, get them up here and let them gain that experience.  

It would be one thing if you were just trying to get the MLers playing time for trade purposes but many of the players ahead of these guys suck, so it’s not like they can be traded anyway.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s the thing.  These aren’t guys where service time should be an issue.  They aren’t elite guys.  You bring them up and give them their chance.

Its just so frustrating.  In a season where winning doesn’t matter and you have several players showing you that they are ready, get them up here and let them gain that experience.  

It would be one thing if you were just trying to get the MLers playing time for trade purposes but many of the players ahead of these guys suck, so it’s not like they can be traded anyway.

I agree. If they bring them up now they may actually find some solutions that they were not expecting. 

They could replace Franco, Wilkerson, and M Harvey and really not miss a beat.

I like to think of our starting pitching prospects as coming in two waves. Same thing with our infield (minus 1B). The first wave (in no particular order) being Jones, Vavra, Grenier, Dorrian, Leyba, Bannon, Martin, McCoy. The second wave is the point I'd like to emphasize. That's Henderson, Westburg, Ortiz, Hernaiz, Hall, Servideo. I suppose the third wave is Hernandez. The point is that the second wave is the one that is critically important to our rebuild and will probably form our 2B/SS/3B for a long time to come. And Ortiz/Henderson/Westburg are not terribly far away. That makes it all the more important that we use this lost year to get the first wave prospects to majors as soon as they look ready because that window for them will not stay open very long in the grand scheme. Vavra needs time in AAA. Dorrian needs to prove he can hit lefties (and work on his throws). Bannon and Martin are obviously injured. But I don't see much reason to not give Jones and Leyba an extended audition. Jones' defense is obviously a worry, and we don't know enough about Leyba. But this is the time to see how what we have with those two....in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, someone mentioned that maybe Leyba would get a chance first…Leyba  could play third as well and it’s not like Franco is doing anything.

As crazy as it seems, I think Franco could build some small trade value. I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t be platooned, though.

5 minutes ago, survivedc said:

As crazy as it seems, I think Franco could build some small trade value. I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t be platooned, though.

He could..he would have to get really hot and show teams that he could be a useful bat off the bench.  

A little humility as a side note. Some time ago I was suggesting that we should DFA Ruiz and call up McCoy. While they did DFA almost immediately after that post, they called up Wilkerson instead of McCoy. McCoy then proceeded to dive into an absolutely miserable slump. I also was pumping up Vavra, who has cooled off considerably. I think my observations about infielders should come with an asterisk for the time being. 

• Upvote 1