DJ Stewart since May 8

Frobby

52 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I feel comfortable when DJ comes to the dish because I don’t think he’s going to be cheated. He doesn’t swing out of the zone much and has a plan up there.

Agree. He’s one of my favorite players on this team for that reason. I think he’ll have a nice little career and I hope it’s with us. 

I wouldn't get excited about DJ.  A .750 to .760 OPS is what he is.  He's going to go through those terrible streaks and then very good streaks.  He's also going to have almost zero productive outs, won't field well, and won't run the bases particularly well.  When he's on one of his hot streaks, he's very useful.        

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I wouldn't get excited about DJ.  A .750 to .760 OPS is what he is.  He's going to go through those terrible streaks and then very good streaks.  He's also going to have almost zero productive outs, won't field well, and won't run the bases particularly well.  When he's on one of his hot streaks, he's very useful.        

That’s a slightly more negative spin than I would give him, but I can’t really disagree with you much.   I’m not sure he’s as bad as you think on productive outs, depending on how you define that term.  Looking at BB-ref, for his career he’s at 38.9% productive outs, compared to 26.7% league average.   With runner on 3B and less than two out, he gets the runner home 33.3% of the time compared to 49.9% league average.   With a runner at 2B and nobody out, he advances the runner 57.1% of the time compared to 51.1% league average.   All the above are small sample numbers in the equivalent of less than one full season of games.   

For me, Stewart is a useful player at his career .226 BA/.338 OBP, but if he could get his BA up in the .250ish range with the same walk rate, you’d really have a significant contributor.   Still hoping that could happen.   

• Upvote 2

I like DJ. Right in line with career 109 OPS+. I think he is a better OF than Mountcastle and Mancini and he is lefthanded (without glaring splits). I can see that adding up to a productive MLB player as long as he doesn't cost anything. I'd much rather have high OBP/low productive outs than the reverse. 

If we trade Santander and/or Mancini I would be happy to see what DJ can do with an extended run at DH/OF. Depending on what we get back we could come out ahead even though DJ is slightly worse OF than Santander and worse hitter than Mancini. 

• Upvote 1

Stewart is a decent 4th outfielder which the O's need with all their injuries.   He is filling in for Hays right now.  

He is not as good as Hays in left.  Not as good as a healthy Santander is right and not as good a hitter as Mancini/Mountcastle at DH.   But when one is hurt he is a good fill in.   

When Hays comes back later this week DJ probably gives Santander time to get completely healthy.  Santander is playing with a sore ankle and  it has taken away his power.   The O's need a healthy Santander and Stewart can fill in until he gets healthy.

Stewart is 27.  This should be his peak year.   So he hits for power vs righties with a low average.  And he has no power vs lefties but can get on base.   He has improved his defense in the corners.  He is a useful, cheap 4th outfielder at this point IMO.

• Upvote 3

He has to do something about his long backswing. He keeps smacking catchers in the helmet with his backswing. I've seen him do it at least three times this year, and it is only June. And I listen to most games on the radio. Since I've SEEN him hit catchers in the head three times already, how many times have I missed by listening to the games instead of watching?

2 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

He has to do something about his long backswing. He keeps smacking catchers in the helmet with his backswing. I've seen him do it at least three times this year, and it is only June. And I listen to most games on the radio. Since I've SEEN him hit catchers in the head three times already, how many times have I missed by listening to the games instead of watching?

Yeah, I'm surprised he's gotten away with it.  That's extraordinarily dangerous.  

I know others disagree, but I view him as just a DH and emergency-only OFer.  He's too stiff in the OF, gets poor jumps, usually takes an extra step to throw, and has an ordinary arm.