Severino and DJ Stewart are hard to watch

accinfo

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Same as Harvey, Galvis, and Franco. Plugging holes while giving guys with some level of success a chance to see if they have any trade value. I think most will be gone after the trade deadline whether we get anything back or not. Pedro had 1 WAR in the short season last year plus 1 WAR over a full season in 2019 so you could make a case he was a viable player going into this year.

Sure..but as I said, IN THE PAST, he has hit some.  He has also not hit some.

He has been terrible this year.  He isn’t helping the team in any way by being here unless he’s a good clubhouse guy and the team seems to be full of those.

There is no reason to keep him on at this point.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

Watching mediocre players playing hard would be ok.  These two, along with others, just seem to be going thru the motions.  Making mental mistakes that should not be tolerated on any major league team.  

The problem isn’t mistakes.  Even the best teams and best players make mistakes..the problem is the consistency of mistakes, especially the same mistakes, over and over.

Im not sure if anything is more frustrating to watch than an OFer consistently ie throwing his cut off man and allowing guys to take an extra base.  The stupidity behind that is astounding to me.  Again, if it’s a one off, you get over it…but when it’s consistent, it gets old.

I have always felt that intelligence (or their sports(baseball, basketball, football etc..) IQ if you want  to call it that) in athletes is extremely overlooked.  Between the ears means so much.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure..but as I said, IN THE PAST, he has hit some.  He has also not hit some.

He has been terrible this year.  He isn’t helping the team in any way by being here unless he’s a good clubhouse guy and the team seems to be full of those.

There is no reason to keep him on at this point.  

I don't disagree. Like I said, he will be gone soon. That said, also not (much) reason to get rid of him right now. Rutschman has had a handful of minor league ABs at this point plus do you want to start his service clock when we are going to lose 100 games? 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't disagree. Like I said, he will be gone soon. That said, also not (much) reason to get rid of him right now. Rutschman has had a handful of minor league ABs at this point plus do you want to start his service clock when we are going to lose 100 games? 

Yes, very much so.  

Are you going to keep him in the minors next year if the team is going to lose 100 games?

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Adley's advanced age for a top prospect makes that question irrelevant, in my opinion. It's more important to expose Adley to the majors and get him reps as soon as possible in order to better prepare him for when the team is actually ready to win.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why not?  It is in the team's longterm best interest to continue to suppress his wages and further delay his right to work where he pleases.

He does not have a "right to work where he pleases".  He is part of a players union that signed a CBA with MLB. I think he should be ready for MLB next year. I don't know how to draw a hard line between opening day or a few weeks later so I have no problem if he is promoted when the organization happens to get an extra year of service time. In fact I would have a problem if we wasted a year of service time. Anyway, this is an old discussion. Question here is whether there is a reason to get rid of Pedro Severino today. I see none. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He does not have a "right to work where he pleases".  He is part of a players union that signed a CBA with MLB. I think he should be ready for MLB next year. I don't know how to draw a hard line between opening day or a few weeks later so I have no problem if he is promoted when the organization happens to get an extra year of service time. In fact I would have a problem if we wasted a year of service time. Anyway, this is an old discussion. Question here is whether there is a reason to get rid of Pedro Severino today. I see none. 

No he isn't.

Why would you think that?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why not?  Why waste his service time on a team that sucks?

Lol like I said he only has a handful of minor league ABs now. I think there is a good case for bringing up end of this year although I happen to disagree. There is no reason to get rid of Pedro right now.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol like I said he only has a handful of minor league ABs now. I think there is a good case for bringing up end of this year although I happen to disagree. There is no reason to get rid of Pedro right now.

There is plenty of reason, especially if you believe his defense and his ability to receive the ball and call a game is a detriment to the young pitchers

Secondly, I don’t care how many at bats Adley has in the minors.  That’s irrelevant to his talent and what he is doing and how old he is.  He should be here.  He is a ML talent and would probably be a top 10 catcher in the league immediately.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I really don’t understand why Severino is here.  I get the finances and maybe that’s the only reason because he doesn’t do anything well right now.  

In the past, he has hit some and that has gotten him a spot on the roster but if he’s not hitting, he’s worthless.

In my opinion, he was a better defender in the past.   Not saying he was particularly good, but I just feel he’s gone from below average to downright unacceptable this year.  He’s thrown out 17% of runners, he’s committed 6 passed balls in 41 starts and allowed 25 wild pitches.   Fangraphs’ framing metric has him 62nd of 64 catchers with 100+ innings.