Coby Mayo 2021

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

The plus for Gunnar is he is ahead of Mayo on the timeline and is still getting reps at SS. I know many are skeptical he can stay there, but if he can, that's a big bonus for him. Still, I'm glad we have both in this system. 

Besides physically being in AA vs Low-A, how is he ahead of Mayo? You can really only judge players by similar age, level, and experience when comparing. Mayo has outperformed Henderson at the same level despite being five months younger and has shown better plate discipline. 

While Henderson may have the ability to stay at SS, he's probably heading to 3B. Mayo, may be heading to RF one day but for now I'd keep playing him at 3B.

I have Mayo slightly ahead of Henderson due to Henderson's WHIFF rate trending in the wrong direction has he moves up and Henderson's errors at both SS and 3B have become a yellow flag.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Besides physically being in AA vs Low-A, how is he ahead of Mayo? You can really only judge players by similar age, level, and experience when comparing. Mayo has outperformed Henderson at the same level despite being five months younger and has shown better plate discipline. 

While Henderson may have the ability to stay at SS, he's probably heading to 3B. Mayo, may be heading to RF one day but for now I'd keep playing him at 3B.

I have Mayo slightly ahead of Henderson due to Henderson's WHIFF rate trending in the wrong direction has he moves up and Henderson's errors at both SS and 3B have become a yellow flag.

I said he's "ahead of Mayo on the timeline". That's not to indicate I think he's a better player or a better prospect, just that I think he debuts in the Majors ahead of Mayo and that's a "it is what it is" type of thing. All I'm trying to say with my comment is I'm glad both are in the system. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2021 at 5:50 PM, Frobby said:

Or, if he’d had a full senior year and done well, maybe some other team would have drafted him long before our 4th round pick came along.  

What your all missing is Mayo missed his senior season of HS , his first year of minor leagues , sat 12 weeks with knee injury . Basically sat out 19 months and slashed his way to Delmarva where he was top 3 in every hitting categories , so very safe to say Bowie is prob where he would have ended had he not had those pitfalls . And he may have been drafted 4th round but look at that draft , he got paid 44th highest overall  which is top of 2nd round . 

• Upvote 3

On 9/26/2021 at 11:49 AM, jdwilde1 said:

Just came across Mayo’s Baseball Factory numbers from 2020.  His 60 yard dash was 6.81, which grades out as a 60 and is considered outstanding.   I had no idea he had that kind of speed.  Also, he threw 97 mph. He measured in at 6’5” and 215 lbs.  The guy is a gifted athlete.  

It’s  one thing to have these kind of physical skills, but he’s performing on the field too.  Great looking swing with big numbers backing it up.  Here’s to hoping he keeps it up as he progresses through the system.

http://members.baseballfactory.com/player/coby/mayo/d4274b0aab114c1e950a6f7938f0c9e5

Sheesh, 97 MPH... so he throws harder than most pitchers.  6.81 60... I remember reading that 6.6 is the average for a MLB CFer, so it's safe to say he runs better than most corner OFers, and he could get faster - I recall Mullins came out of HS running a 7.0 60 and gradually improved to 6.4.  

It'd be cool to see him get a MLB invite to ST and see if they say... "Damn, this guy looks better than Gunnar did last year.  Start him in AA this year."  How great would a Bowie infield of Mayo, Westburg, and Gunnar be?  Move Ortiz to AAA.        

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Philip said:

After reading all these comments about mayo, I think somebody needs to rewrite his scouting right up on mlb.com, because they aren’t nearly as enthusiastic about him overall as these comments indicate they should be.

They really could.  Sometimes the reports/grades are just off.  The mlb.com report has Mayo’s speed graded as a 40.  I have no clue what that’s based on.  That’s slow and definitely doesn’t match up with a 6.81 60 yard dash (which grades out as about a 60 on the 20/80 chart) or 11/11 in steals.  For comparison, Chance Sisco was  graded as a 50 in running and he was as slow as any young player I can remember. (Likewise, I have no clue what led anyone to assign a 50 to Sisco’s running, but this grade was clearly inaccurate).

I remember reading a report on Markakis shortly after he was drafted and it had him graded with a below average arm with above average speed.  Just totally off.  Also, see the link below, where Javy Baez was rated as having below average speed (40), average defense(50), and a slightly above average arm (55).  The Magician, as Baez is known,  has one of the strongest infield arms of the last 30 years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cubsdna.com/amp/understanding-prospect-rankings-the-20-80-scale

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_bat.php?reportid=94

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...