Mountcastle -0.4

Wilkerson -0.4

Stewart -0.3

Santnader -0.3

Wynns -0.2

Combined  catchers is -0.3. Sisco was -0.3. Sevy is 0.2

3rd base -0.9 

Combined 2nd  -0.6 

Valaika, Urias 0.5, Wilkerson and Ruiz -0.1. I know some of these guys move around some but you get the point. 

Thats -1.8 from those players playing those 3 spots . You basically have 3 positions that are brutal right now. 

Hays 0.6 and Santander aren’t healthy and aren’t producing as like than can.  Stewart plays more in the OF than he should because of this. Mountcastle is playing well now but his glove never developed in LF. 

Other than Mullins not much has gone right. Galvis has been serviceable. Mancini obviously. 

The collective position player WAR is 2.9. Mullins, Mancini and Galvis are at 5.0 combined Mullins alone is at 3.0. So minus Mullins the rest of the team combined is at -0.1.  

Pitching collectively is at 2.9 total WAR. Means alone is at 3.2. Fry and Sulser 0.8, Zimmerman is at 0.7, Scott 0.6 and Wells 0.5. Sceroler and Lakins are at -0.5 each. Armstrong was at -0.6 and Harvey is at -1.6. 

At the end of the day Means and Mullins combine for 6.2 WAR and yet the team total is at 5.8. Just unreal. 

• Thanks 1

When you toss a bunch of replacement level guys out there you can't be surprised when they perform at slightly below replacement level.

The only names listed above that are a surprise to me are Mountcastle and Santander.  I've never been big on Santander but I did expect him to be better than he has shown thus far. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When you toss a bunch of replacement level guys out there you can't be surprised when they perform at slightly below replacement level.

The only names listed above that are a surprise to me are Mountcastle and Santander.  I've never been big on Santander but I did expect him to be better than he has shown thus far. 

The injuries to Hays and Santander are holding down their production.   I am hoping to see McKenna and Jones in the outfield in the not too distance future and let these guys heal up.

If nothing else, this season will help Elias separate the wheat from the chaff.  

Wheat:

Mullins, Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Santander (jury still out on Hays & Santander because they haven't been healthy)

Chaff:

Wilkerson, Franco, Stewart, Valaika, Severino

We should see a lot of turnover in our lineup later this season and in the offseason.  We should replace the chaff with minor leaguers, Adley, Leyba, J. Jones, McKenna and then supplement the roster with a FA signing or two.  

The same can be said for our pitching.  Gradually improve the talent on our roster to where we have a respectable and competitive product on the field.

Just now, wildcard said:

The injuries to Hays and Santander are holding down their production.   I am hoping to see McKenna and Jones in the outfield in the not too distance future and let these guys heal up.

Yea but guys get hurt.  Guys like Hays and Santander get hurt EVERY YEAR.  You have to prepare for that.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We are worse than I thought we would be. I thought 95-98 losses. This team looks like a 110 loss team right now. 

I still have no idea what they were doing with 2nd base. I wonder if ownership told Elias to cut money late in camp with Sanchez. Always possible Sanchez would have been even worse but still. Franco who I didn’t expect much from has been bad. 

I said before the year I never saw a more unproven pitching staff in my life. Going this route, especially relying on young starters off a season like last year has been a debacle. Rebuild or not you need more depth. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea but guys get hurt.  Guys like Hays and Santander get hurt EVERY YEAR.  You have to prepare for that.

Exactly. The lack of depth. Diaz hurt as well.  

Dodgers are on pace for mid 90’s wins with Betts playing by his level decent and Bellinger and Seager hurt. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We are worse than I thought we would be. I thought 95-98 losses. This team looks like a 110 loss team right now. 

I still have no idea what they were doing with 2nd base. I wonder if ownership told Elias to cut money late in camp with Sanchez. Always possible Sanchez would have been even worse but still. Franco who I didn’t expect much from has been bad. 

I said before the year I never saw a more unproven pitching staff in my life. Going this route, especially relying on young starters off a season like last year has been a debacle. Rebuild or not you need more depth. 

I think there's something about the Sanchez situation we don't know.  Something negative about him, either as a player or a person, that they discovered after he had been in camp a month.  No idea what.

The upside is that when Elias decides to flip the switch it won’t be hard to upgrade those positions! 

I’d had some hopes that Bannon and Jones would be upgrades.   Bannon had a terrible May and is hurt now.   Jones seems ready offensively but it’s questionable whether he can play an adequate 2B.    Personally I’m ready to find out.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think there's something about the Sanchez situation we don't know.  Something negative about him, either as a player or a person, that they discovered after he had been in camp a month.  No idea what.

Very possible. Odd. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The upside is that when Elias decides to flip the switch it won’t be hard to upgrade those positions! 

I’d had some hopes that Bannon and Jones would be upgrades.   Bannon had a terrible May and is hurt now.   Jones seems ready offensively but it’s questionable whether he can play an adequate 2B.    Personally I’m ready to find out.

Elias needs some Roland Hemond magic. Find this version of Milligan, Devo, Tettleton, Orsulak, Bradley. Eventually Hoiles and Anderson became strong players. He basically rebuilt the lineup minus Cal from next to nothing. Trading Boddicker for Brady of course helped.  Lynn for Hoiles   

Hemond will be remembered for Eddie deal -not enough return and Davis trade. He did do some good things while he was here with a cheap owner. 

Different world now. I don’t see any trades bringing back that type of talent. Would be nice to find some undervalued players like Max Muncy, Urshela, Voit etc.  

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If they wait  for Jones to be ready to play an adequate major league 2B we may not see him this year.  If they want to see him hit well they can put him in left field and he may out hit Hays and Stewart.

I know Hays is probably a better outfielder overall when healthy but we haven't been seeing that much.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think they can go too much longer at 2nd with what they have. I’m sure by after deadline changes will be made. Question is when,  there is a little over a month before we get to trade deadline.  

I think Elias/Hyde have proven they can go long periods with poor performance  from position players and pitchers.  

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If they wait  for Jones to be ready to play an adequate major league 2B we may not see him this year.  If they want to see him hit well they can put him in left field and he may out hit Hays and Stewart.

I know Hays is probably a better outfielder overall when healthy but we haven't been seeing that much.

He's had 240 games at second in the minors.

I don't think he's ever going to play an adequate major league 2B.