Orioles Hang On To Win A 4+ Hour Marathon

cboemmeljr

Glad we won, but our bullpen walking in 3 runs?   Allowing 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th after being staked to a 5-run lead in the top half?   Really?   

Glad to see Mullins, Hays and Mountcastle all contributing to a great offensive game.   

• Upvote 2

Houston is my local market (in OKC)?! so I was able to watch the last few innings. I don't know what to say about Scott. I don't know how Hyde left him in after walking in after walking in the first run. The top 4 are fun to watch..

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Houston is my local market (in OKC)?! so I was able to watch the last few innings. I don't know what to say about Scott. I don't know how Hyde left him in after walking in after walking in the first run. The top 4 are fun to watch..

What I didn't get is - Hyde took out Hunter because he gave up a walk, and he puts in Scott - who's problem is walks - in to replace him.  Granted, he had no way of knowing how bad Scott would be, but did he not realize the irony/foolishness of his move - particularly against a team that's so good at drawing walks?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Glad we won, but our bullpen walking in 3 runs?   Allowing 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th after being staked to a 5-run lead in the top half?   Really?   

Glad to see Mullins, Hays and Mountcastle all contributing to a great offensive game.   

Tyler Wells was the difference in this game. If he doesn't come in and snuff out that Tanner Scott induced rally with the two big strikeouts to keep it 4-4, I'm not sure we win this game. Scottt and Fry were awful last night. Something to watch with the lack of tacky stuff.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Tyler Wells was the difference in this game. If he doesn't come in and snuff out that Tanner Scott induced rally with the two big strikeouts to keep it 4-4, I'm not sure we win this game. Scottt and Fry were awful last night. Something to watch with the lack of tacky stuff.

Great call...Rule 5 guy gets out of a Bases Loaded - 1 out jam. I don't know what he said, but it was nice to see some excitement walking off the mound. 

• Upvote 1

This was a really exciting, well-played game until Tanner Scott came in and really mucked it up. Guy didn't want to throw his fastball, so he was like a 1-pitch pitcher out there. It's ridiculous, honestly. There are games in which he's a total nonfactor on the mound. 

His walk rate has SOARED to ALMOST DOUBLE last year's (4.4 to 8.1). I guess the fact that he can maintain a 3 ERA and similar FIP is a testament to his 13 K/9, but I mean... good lord, guy. Get it together. I'm good with a trade and I have been for years. It's clear he is not a late inning reliever because he can't take the heat. Guy comes in sweating bullets and can't throw a fastball. 

Meanwhile, Tyler Wells replaces him looking cool as a cucumber, mean-mugging the Astros, and blows them away to save the game. THAT is a late inning reliever.  

• Upvote 2