Alex Wells 2021

Frobby

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m kind of sad about Wells. Doesn’t look like he’s going to be anything, but he was a real prospect. Lowther, Akin, Wells, Kremer have all been tried and found wanting.

Also sad we have Plutko and Anderson taking up space but that’s another story.

Wells has to be perfect.  That is and always has been the case with him.  If he isn’t going to have pinpoint command and control, he will get hit hard.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Wells has to be perfect.  That is and always has been the case with him.  If he isn’t going to have pinpoint command and control, he will get hit hard.  

And he’s been far from perfect in his time here.   He’s only throwing 60% strikes which is not high enough for a guy like him.  He’s only throwing a first pitch strike 55.7% of the time.  I’m seeing way too many pitches that are too high to tempt a matter to chase, or otherwise too far out of the strike zone.  This is not the Alex Well who had a lot of success in the minors.   

Another big problem I see is that his change-up is only 5 mph slower than his fastball.   Not enough there to throw off a batter’s timing, especially when the batter isn’t gearing up for premium heat in the first place.   

I hope the next time we see Wells (if there is a next time), he’s ironed out his command issues.   As to the change-up, that’s a pitch he needs to seriously improve if he wants to have any chance of success in the majors.   

• Upvote 1

Another guy with average (more likely, below average) stuff.  

The fastball isn't fast.  Velocity isn't the only thing that matters but it doesn't have a lot of movement and he hadn't been able to locate it well.  Changeup, as brother Frobicito noted, didn't have enough difference in velocity to make a big enough of a difference.

Curve/slider was average, looking, too.  Just nothing special across the board. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Another guy with average (more likely, below average) stuff.  

The fastball isn't fast.  Velocity isn't the only thing that matters but it doesn't have a lot of movement and he hadn't been able to locate it well.  Changeup, as brother Frobicito noted, didn't have enough difference in velocity to make a big enough of a difference.

Curve/slider was average, looking, too.  Just nothing special across the board. 

Boy, no kidding. Below average velocity and straight as an arrow. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I did not say anything that contradicted that. I was just saying that I’m sad that he seems to have failed. Some guys give a glimmer of hope in the beginning And they end up getting a longer chance than they should. Other guys get thrown in the deep end and sink and that’s that. I hope we will see more of Wells, but I don’t have a lot of hope that we will see anything different from Wells.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I did not say anything that contradicted that. I was just saying that I’m sad that he seems to have failed. Some guys give a glimmer of hope in the beginning And they end up getting a longer chance than they should. Other guys get thrown in the deep end and sink and that’s that. I hope we will see more of Wells, but I don’t have a lot of hope that we will see anything different from Wells.

While I don't hold out a huge amount hope for him to be a quality major league starter, saying a guy has "failed" after 17 major league innings is just ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

While I don't hold out a huge amount hope for him to be a quality major league starter, saying a guy has "failed" after 17 major league innings is just ridiculous.

I agree, and that is why I did not say that and you should read more carefully. I said he appears to have. I didn’t say he has. 
I also said I hope he will get more opportunities. If I thought he was a failure I would not suggest that he continue to get opportunities. 

26 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yea, you are way too quick to give up on people. 

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

I agree, and that is why I did not say that and you should read more carefully. I said he appears to have. I didn’t say he has. 
I also said I hope he will get more opportunities. If I thought he was a failure I would not suggest that he continue to get opportunities. 

Appears to have is just as ridiculous of a statement.

You can say, he failed in yesterday’s start.  Anything else using the word failed is completely over the top.