Passan: Mullins, Mancini central to Orioles plans - will need overpay to pry

Moose Milligan

Caveat: This is subject to change. One offer for any of these players can pry them from their teams. But it needs to be an overpay, a franchise-changer, because as all the following players' teams rebuild, they see these guys as central to their plans: Trey Mancini and Cedric Mullins (Baltimore), Adolis Garcia (Texas), Bryan Reynolds (Pittsburgh), Ketel Marte and Carson Kelly (Arizona), German Marquez (Colorado). Marte and Marquez may be most valuable of all because they're already locked into long-term contracts.

Behind a paywall but the link:  https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31731801/jeff-passan-mlb-trade-deadline-preview-stars-move-teams-most-likely-deal

Sorry (not sorry) to burst anyone's bubble here.  

• Like 1

I don’t buy it for Mancini.  Not saying they will definitely trade him but I don’t feel he is a central figure for a rebuilding team and I don’t think Elias will think of him that way either.

Thats not to say he wouldn’t want him around and maybe he would give him a 2-3 year extension.  I’m just saying I don’t believe he will have to be blown away to trade him although, as I said in the other thread, “blown away” means different things to different people.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, oriole said:

Mancini is gonna be gone, no doubt about it. Strange he’d be mentioned as someone you build around unless Passan has no idea what he’s talking about

Elias isn't going to signal that he is desperate to trade Mancini and hurt the return of any trade package. Like others, I don't see the Orioles wanting to go to arbitration with Mancini and paying him next year. 

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

Mancini is gonna be gone, no doubt about it. Strange he’d be mentioned as someone you build around unless Passan has no idea what he’s talking about

If he's blown away which is unlikely for a sub 800 OPS 1B, then sure. I dont think a trade is coming for Mancini or Mullins. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias isn't going to signal that he is desperate to trade Mancini and hurt the return of any trade package. Like others, I don't see the Orioles wanting to go to arbitration with Mancini and paying him next year. 

They may be cheap but are they that cheap?  This payroll is peanuts. It’s one thing skimp on paying players without any attachment to the fans, it’s another with Mancini. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

They may be cheap but are they that cheap?  This payroll is peanuts. It’s one thing skimp on paying players without any attachment to the fans, it’s another with Mancini. 

Mancini isn't going to be a non-tender candidate, but I think Elias would like to trade Mancini for a couple cheaper players who can help out the next three to six years.  

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mancini isn't going to be a non-tender candidate, but I think Elias would like to trade Mancini for a couple cheaper players who can help out the next three to six years.  

I think he only gets dealt if the return is significant. He is not being dealt for lottery ticket types.  I don’t think his 2022 contract will force a deal. 

38 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I guess ultimately what I meant is he is gone before the O’s are competitive again. Whether it’s by trade or free agency he is not a player you build around. I do think he’ll be traded and I think it’ll be for a lot less than what we all are hoping for but it would be very surprising to see Mancini on the next playoff roster. 

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think paying him next year is all that big a deal.   He’d be getting an increase from $4.8 mm.   My guess is he’d be south of $10 mm.

I think the bigger deal is that he’s an FA after next year, and if we are not going to extend him, he is a more valuable trade commodity now than he’ll be next year.   

Exactly right.  The Os don’t feel they have to trade Trey because of his 2022 salary.