O's respectful next year.

oriolediehard

No, 2023.

People are thinking G-Rod and Hall are going to come up right away and produce.  They might, but no one's going to take into account that there are going to be innings limits. No way they're going to let G-Rod and Hall throw 160-180 innings next year.  

Maybe they'll win 65-70 next year.  But certainly not .500.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think depending on what the CBA does with service time, the rotation will be Means, Grayson, DL, T Wells and maybe Bradish.   They need a closer but Scott, Fry, Tate, Sulser, and some of the guys that are not in the rotation like Zimmermann, Kremer, Akin, Lowther and A Wells are mid to long relievers and spot starters will fill out the staff.  

I don think that looks like a pitching staff that can win 82 games.

Just my opinion but I think there's a real good chance that Fry, Tate and Sulser get traded this month. But I'd still feel pretty good about the pen based on the names you mentioned that don't wind up starting plus 1-2 lower cost FA signs this winter.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Until they show they will do it, it’s a problem.  This ownership group has spent money in some needed areas but they have also prioritized saving money on the ML team.  They have to change that mindset and I don’t think we have any real evidence that they are ready to do that.

While I agree we have not seen it but it probably has not reached the time to spend until  this off season.    The reason I think ownership will step up but is that it is part of the Astros and Rays models to add free agents at the right time like Morton and Beltran.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, 2023.

People are thinking G-Rod and Hall are going to come up right away and produce.  They might, but no one's going to take into account that there are going to be innings limits. No way they're going to let G-Rod and Hall throw 160-180 innings next year.  

Maybe they'll win 65-70 next year.  But certainly not .500.   

You make a good point.  Grayson may get 100 innings this season.  Maybe 130 next season.   DL something less that that.   But Zimmerman, Bradish, and Smith may fill in well.  And with Lowther, A Well, Blaine Knight,  Akin there is a decent chance that there is enough starters that some break through as good starters. 

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While I agree we have not seen it but it probably has not reached the time to spend until  this off season.    The reason I think ownership will step up but is that it is part of the Astros and Rays models to add free agents at the right time like Morton and Beltran.

Did we sell the team to either of those ownership groups?

All Im sayin is that you want to put this offseason on Hyde and Elias.  That’s wrong.  Ownership has to approve them to start to spend money.  If they don’t, it’s totally reliant on what we have here and what we already have will be the reason we do or do not contend, they can’t accomplish what they want without outside help.

12 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Just my opinion but I think there's a real good chance that Fry, Tate and Sulser get traded this month. But I'd still feel pretty good about the pen based on the names you mentioned that don't wind up starting plus 1-2 lower cost FA signs this winter.

This trade deadline will be another test for Elias.  Does he hold on to his reliever depth looking at next year or does he trade them.  Same with Mancini.   We should know more about where the O's are headed by August 1st.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I see your point.  I am not going to argue about it.  I think O's ownership bought into the rebuild models of the Astros and the Rays.  We will see in the next year if that is true.

I don't see many top prospects even being with the team before mid-season.  Rutschman maybe if they elect not to play service games.  We may not even see Grayson Rodriguez and D.L. Hall next season.  I think mid-season is a best case scenario for them and there will be a learning curve.  

I'd like to see us at a minimum sign a couple stop gap guys who could provide some production for us to supplement the help that is on the way.  We do need to make some progress towards becoming a winning organization again. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't see many top prospects even being with the team before mid-season.  Rutschman maybe if they elect not to play service games.  We may not even see Grayson Rodriguez and D.L. Hall next season.  I think mid-season is a best case scenario for them and there will be a learning curve.  

I'd like to see us at a minimum sign a couple stop gap guys who could provide some production for us to supplement the help that is on the way.  We do need to make some progress towards becoming a winning organization again. 

Would Adley and Grayson being promoted to AAA in the next two weeks change your perspective?

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Would Adley and Grayson being promoted to AAA in the next two weeks change your perspective?

No not really.  I would expect to see them both up sometime in May or June of 2022 assuming they don't struggle in Norfolk.  If Grayson spends the whole season in Bowie then I would not expect him in Baltimore before July. 

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

All Im sayin is that you want to put this offseason on Hyde and Elias.  That’s wrong.  Ownership has to approve them to start to spend money.  If they don’t, it’s totally reliant on what we have here and what we already have will be the reason we do or do not contend, they can’t accomplish what they want without outside help.

I  agree