O's respectful next year.

oriolediehard

It a real question for Elias and Hyde.  Are they up to making this team a winner?  Elias is going to have to fill some holes.  They need a closer.  A Shortstop.  2B and 3B depends on how Vavra and Dorrian do in AAA in the 2nd half.  Elias has to make a decision on whether to keep Mancini or not.  It will be easier to field a winning team with Mancini but there are other considerations.

There should  be plenty of pitchers.   But can Hyde use them effectively?  This off season and next season will be a big test for O's management.   

Its possible Leyba and Urias can fill in at 2B and 3B. I haven't watched enough games to know how they look defensively. But I think there is enough production with the bat for both of them to stay in the lineup at those positions as long as your not expecting a whole lot. A 1 one deal for a SS shouldnt be that difficult to find. Of course if there are affordable upgrades in FA you can sign them and I dont mean someone like Franco.

Bradish and Kevin Smith in Norfolk very well could start 22 in the rotation. I agree things could improve rapidly next year to a near .500 team depending on different factors. 

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It a real question for Elias and Hyde.  Are they up to making this team a winner?  Elias is going to have to fill some holes.  They need a closer.  A Shortstop.  2B and 3B depends on how Vavra and Dorrian do in AAA in the 2nd half.  Elias has to make a decision on whether to keep Mancini or not.  It will be easier to field a winning team with Mancini but there are other considerations.

There should  be plenty of pitchers.   But can Hyde use them effectively?  This off season and next season will be a big test for O's management.   

I think you mean Os ownership

Too much depends on player development but it’s not that crazy to think this team could get a lot better really quick. There just needs to be some big strides in the pitching department. Also at least a couple notable FA should be signed if there’s any plans on winning. 

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Bradish and Kevin Smith in Norfolk very well could start 22 in the rotation. I agree things could improve rapidly next year to a near .500 team depending on different factors. 

For the rotation, I'm going to speculate that Grayson and DL aren't up until mid-year next year. 

To start the season, You'd have Means, Bradish and Kevin Smith as you say. Tyler Wells has earned a shot but I'd guess they want him to start in AAA for a few months. 1-2 innings out of the pen aren't the same as starting.

I don't think Matt Harvey or Lopez will be back. 

You'd have Kremer, Akin, Lowther, Zimmerman and Alex Wells. I think we sign a FA that's an upgrade over Harvey but not a big money FA. That gives you 9 guys to fill 5 spots.

But does that look like a .500 rotation?

23 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I highly doubt some rookies are going to take us from a .320 team to a .500 team.  70 wins would be a massive improvement since we might not win 50 this year. 

It can't be just rookies.  That why its a test for Elias to acquire the at right players.

But Adley, Grayson and DL are not average rookies.  And even average rookies would be better than would the O's are playing this season in some cases.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you mean Os ownership

Well that too.  They have to fund it and Elias has be acquire the right players.   I don't think ownership funding a winning team is a problem.  Not if Elias is up to making the moves.

Respectable as in being the second-worst team maybe. You know we won’t see Adley until the absolute last second before his clock starts. And then we assume Grayson and Hall will come up and thrive, but who else? Means can’t stay healthy. Are we really going to keep Matt Harvey around? I guess Lopez could be someone to keep? 

I honestly see this being a White Sox-type of rebuild, where it will take a decade or so to approach competitiveness. We won’t spend money to sign anyone of note and our core guys now will be on the wrong side of 30 by the time we start flirting with .500 again. 

Aren’t I quite the optimist☺️

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

For the rotation, I'm going to speculate that Grayson and DL aren't up until mid-year next year. 

To start the season, You'd have Means, Bradish and Kevin Smith as you say. Tyler Wells has earned a shot but I'd guess they want him to start in AAA for a few months. 1-2 innings out of the pen aren't the same as starting.

You'd have Kremer, Akin, Lowther, Zimmerman and Alex Wells. I think we sign a FA that's an upgrade over Harvey but not a big money FA. That gives you 9 guys to fill 5 spots.

Means, Wells, Smith, Bradish, Zimmerman is a decent rotation if you ask me. IMO it has potential to be a .500 rotation. Why not? Then in another few months Rodriguez and Hall replace whoever is ineffective on the staff. 

25 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its possible Leyba and Urias can fill in at 2B and 3B. I haven't watched enough games to know how they look defensively. But I think there is enough production with the bat for both of them to stay in the lineup at those positions as long as your not expecting a whole lot. A 1 one deal for a SS shouldnt be that difficult to find. Of course if there are affordable upgrades in FA you can sign them and I dont mean someone like Franco.

So far I have not seen anything out of Leyba that makes me think he will stick.   He is hitting .160.  His fielding at 3B looks below average to me.  I say a ball hit right through him the other day.  He was hit hard but that is why a 3B need good reaction to play the hot corner.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Means, Wells, Smith, Bradish, Zimmerman is a decent rotation if you ask me. IMO it has potential to be a .500 rotation. Why not? Then in another few months Rodriguez and Hall replace whoever is ineffective on the staff. 

I agree that it should be decent with potential to be a .500 rotation. With pitchers, progress is rarely straight line. Not long ago, Baumann is someone most would have listed in that top 5. If the O's sign a FA who brings some experience and stability, a step or 2 or 3 above Matt Harvey, then I'd feel a lot better about .500. 

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well that too.  They have to fund it and Elias has be acquire the right players.   I don't think ownership funding a winning team is a problem.  Not if Elias is up to making the moves.

Until they show they will do it, it’s a problem.  This ownership group has spent money in some needed areas but they have also prioritized saving money on the ML team.  They have to change that mindset and I don’t think we have any real evidence that they are ready to do that.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:05 AM, 7Mo said:

I think depending on what the CBA does with service time, the rotation will be Means, Grayson, DL, T Wells and maybe Bradish.   They need a closer but Scott, Fry, Tate, Sulser, and some of the guys that are not in the rotation like Zimmermann, Smith, Kremer, Akin, Lowther and A Wells are mid to long relievers and spot starters will fill out the staff.  

I do think that looks like a pitching staff that can win 82 games.