O's respectful next year.

oriolediehard

6 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Let's hope you are wrong about that. Barring injuries or total ineffectiveness that would be absurd. 

Well it's not that absurd when you look at the grand total of innings they've pitched above Single A half way through 2021.  D.L. has spent most of the season on the D.L.  I'd put his chances of seeing Baltimore next season at about 50/50 at best. He also still has some command issues he's working through.  Grayson seems more likely to see Baltimore at a sooner date. 

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

People are thinking G-Rod and Hall are going to come up right away and produce.  They might, but no one's going to take into account that there are going to be innings limits. No way they're going to let G-Rod and Hall throw 160-180 innings next year. 

I'm thinking about innings limits for sure while wondering what 2022 can be.   DL Hall I think we can say already he will be under 100 in 2021, and probably 125 next year best case.   If Rodriguez can get to 110 or so, I could imagine 150.   

Roch's June 16 tweet that DL Hall's MRI was clean is now about 3 weeks old, so his opportunity to work into the 80's as a 2022 platform for >100 relies on him returning to work soon.

I'm trying to moderate all my 2022 can-kicking, of which there will be much, 25 more days as they'll tell us a lot what Elias thinks.   If Hall can make a few healthy turns this month, I could still see 2022 innings leaders like Sutcliffe 180, Means 180, Rodriguez 150, Hall 125, "Best AAA Guy" 125 and that might be fun, or at least competitive until July in case there are like 8 playoff teams and we're like 9th in the league then.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You make a good point.  Grayson may get 100 innings this season.  Maybe 130 next season.   DL something less that that.   But Zimmerman, Bradish, and Smith may fill in well.  And with Lowther, A Well, Blaine Knight,  Akin there is a decent chance that there is enough starters that some break through as good starters. 

Here's hoping those pitchers you've named can be respectable.  I've got my doubts but they should get their chances.

52 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Means, Wells, Smith, Bradish, Zimmerman is a decent rotation if you ask me. IMO it has potential to be a .500 rotation. Why not? Then in another few months Rodriguez and Hall replace whoever is ineffective on the staff. 

This is a huge indictment of the development of Kremer, A. Wells (assuming you mean this year's Rule 5 pick), Akin, Lowther, and Baumann.

Pandemic in 20 and a work stoppage in 22 throws everything up in the air.  They will keep Rutschman down all of 21 so that he can play in the minors next year during the lockout.  Players on the 40 man still developing may not be able to play since they are members of the union (an assumption) if there isn't a new CBA.  So cornerstones like G. Rodriguez, DL Hall, Westburg, and Henderson will languish.  I am hesitant to predict anything at all for next year.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I would see how the rest of the season plays out before indicting.

I assume that if jabba72's suggested rotation is correct, that the rest of this season will have played out poorly.  I'm not saying that his suggested rotation is correct.

I think in the second half we'll start to get a view if Akin, Kremer, etc can become effective multi-inning relievers.

Except for Means, Orioles deployment might look a lot like Shorebirds deployment after the trade deadline.   Whatever good-ish 1-inning guys we have for August/September/October should get to better teams and leave even more bulk work for our 25-year old aspirational starting pitchers.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, 2023.

People are thinking G-Rod and Hall are going to come up right away and produce.  They might, but no one's going to take into account that there are going to be innings limits. No way they're going to let G-Rod and Hall throw 160-180 innings next year.  

Maybe they'll win 65-70 next year.  But certainly not .500.   

Agree with this.  

48 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This is a huge indictment of the development of Kremer, A. Wells (assuming you mean this year's Rule 5 pick), Akin, Lowther, and Baumann.

Perhaps these guys aren’t that good. Some down the road will move to the pen. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

This trade deadline will be another test for Elias.  Does he hold on to his reliever depth looking at next year or does he trade them.  Same with Mancini.   We should know more about where the O's are headed by August 1st.

I think he will take whatever he can get for anyone in the pen except Scott. He will want back decent return for him.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Means, Wells, Smith, Bradish, Zimmerman is a decent rotation if you ask me. IMO it has potential to be a .500 rotation. Why not? Then in another few months Rodriguez and Hall replace whoever is ineffective on the staff. 

Not counting Means, that's pretty close to Norfolk's rotation. Norfolk isn't .500, but perhaps they can get there if Rodriguez and Hall are promoted. I think we have to have Rodriguez and Hall, with Means, to have a .500 rotation.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think he will take whatever he can get for anyone in the pen except Scott. He will want back decent return for him.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Scott or Tate. We need arms like that if we are to compete down the road.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Well yeah, at this point I dont like what i've seen from Kremer or Akin. Baumann has an ERA near 6 in Bowie and is walking almost 7BB/9. But if they show serious improvement they can always go back to the rotation if Bradish, Smith or Wells or Zimmerman struggle next year.  The rotation is constantly changing to whoever gives you the best chance to win. Its not etched in stone.