Franco to IL, Gutierrez up

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think when Galvis returns he may take over 3B.   Maybe they will keep Urias at SS where he is comfortable.   Jones is going to get his shot a 2B sooner or later.

I’d be pretty shocked if they moved Galvis from SS.

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d be pretty shocked if they moved Galvis from SS.

I have been shocked before but I would be shocked if they move Urias from short.  If he keeps doing what he has been doing he is probably the O's SS next season.     He is cheap, hits and plays an adequate  defensive SS.   He is a good stopgap until Westburg, Henderson or Ortiz are ready for the majors.

Galvis is probably not with the O's next year IMO.   So switching him to 3B would be a defensive upgrade for the rest of the season.  

I guess we will see  who is shocked the most.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have been shocked before but I would be shocked if they move Urias from short.  If he keeps doing what he has been doing he is probably the O's SS next season.     He is cheap, hits and plays an adequate  defensive SS.   He is a good stopgap until Westburg, Henderson or Ortiz are ready for the majors.

Galvis is probably not with the O's next year IMO.   So switching him to 3B would be a defensive upgrade for the rest of the season.  

I think Galvis is the better defensive SS of the two, and so he will play there.   I expect Urias to be in the lineup, probably at 2B.

I will confess I haven’t seen enough of Urias at SS to have an opinion as to whether he can play there long term.   I imagine the Orioles brain trust has an opinion on that.   

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Galvis has started 19 games in his career at 3rd. If they are curious about Urias at SS they can still give him a start here and there. Second base is wide open and is a bigger hole by far then with Galvis at SS. 

I'd keep Galvis at SS as long as he is on the roster. Could not hurt to see what Urias can do at 2B and 3B as long as he is getting regular reps. His future is probably utility or 2B and could actually stick.

I can't believe we would bring back Franco but I hope he pushes out Valaika rather than Leyba/Gutierrez. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd keep Galvis at SS as long as he is on the roster. Could not hurt to see what Urias can do at 2B and 3B as long as he is getting regular reps. His future is probably utility or 2B and could actually stick.

I can't believe we would bring back Franco but I hope he pushes out Valaika rather than Leyba/Gutierrez. 

Unless moving him around hurts his offense.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Galvis is the better defensive SS of the two, and so he will play there.   I expect Urias to be in the lineup, probably at 2B.

I will confess I haven’t seen enough of Urias at SS to have an opinion as to whether he can play there long term.   I imagine the Orioles brain trust has an opinion on that.   

Urias is a slightly below average defensive shortstop, but not to the point it will really hurt a team. If he's going to hit like he is it'll play, but he can be an above average second baseman, which is where I think he ends up ultimately until a better player is available.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Urias is a slightly below average defensive shortstop, but not to the point it will really hurt a team. If he's going to hit like he is it'll play, but he can be an above average second baseman, which is where I think he ends up ultimately until a better player is available.

Except sometime this season I would think Jones will be getting regular time at 2B for the O's.   Not a great 2B but maybe the bat plays and the O's seem to want to play him at 2B.