Do you actually watch the draft?

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If you're picking 25th in the MLB draft there's a strong chance that who your team picks won't make it.  

Mike Trout

Position: Centerfielder

Bats: Right  •  Throws: Right

6-2235lb (188cm, 106kg) 

Team: Los Angeles Angels (majors, 60-day IL)

Born: August 7, 1991 (Age: 29-338d) in Vineland, NJ us

Draft: Drafted by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the 1st round (25th) of the 2009 MLB June Amateur Draft from Millville Senior HS (Millville, NJ).

Not that I really disagree with you, but it’s funny that you chose the 25th pick as your example.   

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mike Trout

Position: Centerfielder

Bats: Right  •  Throws: Right

6-2235lb (188cm, 106kg) 

Team: Los Angeles Angels (majors, 60-day IL)

Born: August 7, 1991 (Age: 29-338d) in Vineland, NJ us

Draft: Drafted by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the 1st round (25th) of the 2009 MLB June Amateur Draft from Millville Senior HS (Millville, NJ).

Not that I really disagree with you, but it’s funny that you chose the 25th pick as your example.   

I actually thought about where Trout was drafted because I knew if I said the exact pick he was taken, someone would bring him up.  I kept thinking he was 24th for some reason.

As an aside, the NFL and NBA started televising their drafts in 1980.   Baseball didn’t start until 2007.   

To be clear, I don’t watch any of them.   But as usual, baseball was three steps behind in marketing.   

I think there are a couple of reasons the MLB draft is far less watched, besides the fact that the NFL and NBA got a 27 year head start.   First, it’s practically unheard of for a baseball draftee to be in the majors the year he’s drafted.    You really don’t expect impact for two years for a college guy, three plus for high school.  So, if you are a fan, it’s not like drafting some guy is going to impact your team immediately.  

The second part is the storytelling.   So many NFL/NBA players come from disadvantaged backgrounds and you sense that getting drafted is a life-altering event not just for the player, but his entire extended family.   The emotion they show is palpable.   Meanwhile baseball families are much more middle class and the whole culture of the sport is very reserved.    So it’s pretty bland.   

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As an aside, the NFL and NBA started televising their drafts in 1980.   Baseball didn’t start until 2007.   

To be clear, I don’t watch any of them.   But as usual, baseball was three steps behind in marketing.   

I think there are a couple of reasons the MLB draft is far less watched, besides the fact that the NFL and NBA got a 27 year head start.   First, it’s practically unheard of for a baseball draftee to be in the majors the year he’s drafted.    You really don’t expect impact for two years for a college guy, three plus for high school.  So, if you are a fan, it’s not like drafting some guy is going to impact your team immediately.  

The second part is the storytelling.   So many NFL/NBA players come from disadvantaged backgrounds and you sense that getting drafted is a life-altering event not just for the player, but his entire extended family.   The emotion they show is palpable.   Meanwhile baseball families are much more middle class and the whole culture of the sport is very reserved.    So it’s pretty bland.   

Nobody knows college baseball players compared to college football and basketball. Basketball is a little different now with guys not staying in school as long but you still have some guys with major name recognition. How many big sports fans knew Adley Rutschman? Everyone knows Trevor Lawrence. Won a National Championship and played in another and played in National Semifinal last year. Those drafts get so much more hype from ESPN. They spend months hyping the NFL draft. 

No doubt the fact that players don’t make an immediate impact is huge. Just can’t get as excited for someone who you won’t see for awhile. Fewer players make it.  

I don’t watch the entire draft. Just top of draft and when Orioles are picking. Follow rest online. 

• Upvote 1

The past few years, we’ve watched every minute because we worked as a team to populate the annual Draft Tracker threads in this forum.  It’s been quite the event, a ton of work and a total blast. 

This year we won’t be able to pull that off.  I hope the comments that everyone makes  outside anything we ever did will be a seamless transition for OH coverage.  You gotta know it breaks my heart not to be doing it again this year, but am also kinda relieved to actually just be able to watch what parts we’ll be able to see. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I made it through 12 picks.   Now I'm going to fire up the DVR.   Move the draft to TV #2 with no sound, I'll glance at the ticker periodically, or maybe I won't.   Since we aren't picking again tonight.

I think I did watch a lot of the draft last year.   But it was during a lockdown and I was home 24/7 and there was no actual baseball on TV.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I made it through 12 picks.   Now I'm going to fire up the DVR.   Move the draft to TV #2 with no sound, I'll glance at the ticker periodically, or maybe I won't.   Since we aren't picking again tonight.

I think I did watch a lot of the draft last year.   But it was during a lockdown and I was home 24/7 and there was no actual baseball on TV.

I might watch some of the NFL draft and I really haven't watched the NBA draft since the 90's. But with MLB it's hard for me to get interested when even with first rounders, maybe half of them will have an MLB career that lasts for several seasons or more. 

I definitely want to know about who the Orioles select, but otherwise I'm not going to watch.