2021 Comp Round B pick (65): Reed Trimble - (Sophomore) Southern Mississippi

I’m a Southern Miss Alum.  Huge baseball fan.  We are a mid-major with a proud baseball history.  We are top 15 in attendance in the country, a top 25 baseball team every year, and go toe to toe with the SEC.  We do this with having about 5% of the budget that the big boys have.  
Reed was the last guy we signed.  65th ranked player in MS and was heading to Pearl River Community College.  We had a guy opt out and signed Reed.  Thank god we did.  We were his only D-1 offer.

We tossed him in center as a true fresh and he just hit. Going 5-5 in his last game of the covid shortened season.  2021 he was back in center and hitting in the 2 hole.  He showed flashes at the plate early but struggled defensively.  Took really bad paths toward balls.  Then it clicked.  Dude looked like T Hunter in center and Albaes (Braves star, not sure how to spell the name) at the plate.  Kid can do anything at the plate and I think he can play CF in the bigs.  But this isn’t it.  The best part is he plays the best in the biggest games.  His stat line from the regional is crazy.  He hit like .700 with 4 bombs and 16 RBI.  Damn near willed us to victory. When he hit his 2nd dinger of the day he mouthed “you should have signed me” to the Ole Miss dugout.  Why?  He wanted to go there but he was “to small”.  He is a future bug leaguer.  He has a chip.  Also, he is a great kid.  I wish I could if had him in black and hold for 1 more year.

what are the odds y’all screw this up and can’t get him signed?

also, I apologize for the grammar.  My phone is cracked, I have a college degree but I am from MS.

The last player we signed that nobody else offered was Brian Dozier.  Look out now!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I don’t care about rankings, but I think that it’s fair for people to feel less optimistic after the first 10 rounds of the draft.

After 3 drafts, it appears that Elias likes “college performers” with high exit velocities and doesn’t care about questionable hit tools and avoids pitchers. Trimble is a little different because he has some tools, but they haven’t drafted power arms or high ceiling high school players outside of Henderson (Mayo and Baumler were several tiers below Henderson coming out of high school).

I hope Elias’ strategy works, but I have always liked high upside high school kids and don’t really care about the risks involved. I think the biggest weakness of the system is a lack of high ceiling impact players and the college guys that he has drafted don’t scream high ceiling. Elias seems like the kind of guy that would’ve drafted Christian Colon over Manny Machado because they had more data on Colon and the model preferred him.

Maybe Trimble works out, but I would’ve much preferred Bubba Chandler because his 97 mph fastball and multi-sport athlete background makes him a more exciting prospect to me with a higher ceiling. It’s the same reason I would’ve drafted Rocker, House, or Watson over Cowser, but he knows more than me and I hope his picks are good. They just aren’t the types of players some people prefer and I think that’s okay.

This is a solid post.

I'm kind of the opposite of you for hitters to be honest.  I prefer college bats.  I prefer high school or juco arms.  College coaches tend to overuse their pitchers.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Sydnor said:

I don’t care about rankings, but I think that it’s fair for people to feel less optimistic after the first 10 rounds of the draft.

After 3 drafts, it appears that Elias likes “college performers” with high exit velocities and doesn’t care about questionable hit tools and avoids pitchers. Trimble is a little different because he has some tools, but they haven’t drafted power arms or high ceiling high school players outside of Henderson (Mayo and Baumler were several tiers below Henderson coming out of high school).

I hope Elias’ strategy works, but I have always liked high upside high school kids and don’t really care about the risks involved. I think the biggest weakness of the system is a lack of high ceiling impact players and the college guys that he has drafted don’t scream high ceiling. Elias seems like the kind of guy that would’ve drafted Christian Colon over Manny Machado because they had more data on Colon and the model preferred him.

Maybe Trimble works out, but I would’ve much preferred Bubba Chandler because his 97 mph fastball and multi-sport athlete background makes him a more exciting prospect to me with a higher ceiling. It’s the same reason I would’ve drafted Rocker, House, or Watson over Cowser, but he knows more than me and I hope his picks are good. They just aren’t the types of players some people prefer and I think that’s okay.

I get it, I really do. What we saw was unexpected. But if we could follow the O's draft process from last June until now, we might have a better understanding of the strategy, and how it's going to pan out. I'm guessing they had legitimate reasons to pass on those high ceiling HS players, as well as Rocker, House and Watson. Keep in mind that 9 teams passed on Rocker before the Mets drafted him. 10 teams passed on House. And 15 teams passed on Watson. And I'd like to think some of those teams that passed on those players are respectable organizations. So what gives? If those  exciting players are passed over by so many quality teams, then maybe those teams liked their player better. Sure, all the teams that passed on those players could end up regretting it. Or all three of those players could come down with some rare, life-threatening condition so that they never play ball again. It happens. But I'm going to stay positive because I believe things are moving in the right direction for the entire O's organization. The wait is almost over!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, hutchead said:

Does anyone know why Trimble is on the inactive list?

Looks like it’s the temporarily inactive list. 

Generally these are either family Illness or some sort of personal obligation. Could be bereavement, paternity leave or family medical leave.

As far as I can tell, it hasn’t been reported which it is. 

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Looks like it’s the temporarily inactive list. 

Generally these are either family Illness or some sort of personal obligation. Could be bereavement, paternity leave or family medical leave.

As far as I can tell, it hasn’t been reported which it is. 

Thanks. I'm going to the Shorebirds game tonight at Salem and was hoping to see him play, along with the others.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2021 at 12:28 AM, OBE said:

I’m a Southern Miss Alum.  Huge baseball fan.  We are a mid-major with a proud baseball history.  We are top 15 in attendance in the country, a top 25 baseball team every year, and go toe to toe with the SEC.  We do this with having about 5% of the budget that the big boys have.  
Reed was the last guy we signed.  65th ranked player in MS and was heading to Pearl River Community College.  We had a guy opt out and signed Reed.  Thank god we did.  We were his only D-1 offer.

We tossed him in center as a true fresh and he just hit. Going 5-5 in his last game of the covid shortened season.  2021 he was back in center and hitting in the 2 hole.  He showed flashes at the plate early but struggled defensively.  Took really bad paths toward balls.  Then it clicked.  Dude looked like T Hunter in center and Albaes (Braves star, not sure how to spell the name) at the plate.  Kid can do anything at the plate and I think he can play CF in the bigs.  But this isn’t it.  The best part is he plays the best in the biggest games.  His stat line from the regional is crazy.  He hit like .700 with 4 bombs and 16 RBI.  Damn near willed us to victory. When he hit his 2nd dinger of the day he mouthed “you should have signed me” to the Ole Miss dugout.  Why?  He wanted to go there but he was “to small”.  He is a future bug leaguer.  He has a chip.  Also, he is a great kid.  I wish I could if had him in black and hold for 1 more year.

what are the odds y’all screw this up and can’t get him signed?

also, I apologize for the grammar.  My phone is cracked, I have a college degree but I am from MS.

The last player we signed that nobody else offered was Brian Dozier.  Look out now!

Thanks for the report.  Sounds like an easy guy to root for!