Valaika and Jahmai Jones

Moose Milligan

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Are you implying that he’s doing that because he thinks that’s best for their development, or that he’s doing it for service time reasons?    I doubt the latter is a factor for anyone on the current AAA roster.   

I would think it's service time, but because Elias doesn't want to waste service time on O's team that suck. 

23 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

1.  At a .943 fielding percentage, will his bat outweigh the stone hands?  What do you have to slash and OPS to make that fielding percentage a wash?  

2.  While I've rolled my eyes at the OmG ThEy HaVe To CaLl Up JoNeS crowd on here, whatever they're doing in Norfolk to help him with his defense clearly isn't working.  Is it something that can be worked on in Baltimore?  IMO, keeping him in Norfolk isn't going to fix it. 

I'm not sure that this is the right way to think about it. Having him in the minors and allowing him to make mistakes and grow is how one would improve their defense. I'm not sure that a 1.000 fielding percentage would be necessarily indicative of him developing at AAA (rather, that would seem to be a sign that there's no further development needed).

As a side note, Austin Martin's fielding percentage as a SS thus far in AA has been .895, for those beating that drum.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm not sure that this is the right way to think about it. Having him in the minors and allowing him to make mistakes and grow is how one would improve their defense. I'm not sure that a 1.000 fielding percentage would be necessarily indicative of him developing at AAA (rather, that would seem to be a sign that there's no further development needed).

As a side note, Austin Martin's fielding percentage as a SS thus far in AA has been .895, for those beating that drum.

I'm fine with him making mistakes in Baltimore, too.  

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm fine with him making mistakes in Baltimore, too.  

What an Oriole that makes mistakes? That's unheard of! 

If DJ Stewart can play the outfield in major league games, then I think Jahmai Jones can work out any kinks in his fielding if he gets called up from Norfolk. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Oh I don’t disagree with that, but I’m not talking about elite prospects. I’m talking about the John Means and Spenser Watkins guys of the world, the pleasant surprises, the “where the hell did he come from” guys.

I understand waiting on AR, but Lowther should be here, and Kremer too, and Jones and maybe Bannon and one or two other guys who don’t promise much but could surprise.

I don’t agree with this. Means and Watkins were actually doing well at Norfolk. Lowther and Kremer can’t get out minor league hitters right now. We know how they would do at the major league level. We’ve seen it in the limited time they had to be here. 

No poster ever suggests skipping AA or A+. Why not bring up someone from Delmarva or Aberdeen who is doing well? Let them take their lumps in the majors and learn right? It’s only ever AAA that impatient fans want to gloss over. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I don’t agree with this. Means and Watkins were actually doing well at Norfolk. Lowther and Kremer can’t get out minor league hitters right now. We know how they would do at the major league level. We’ve seen it in the limited time they had to be here. 

No poster ever suggests skipping AA or A+. Why not bring up someone from Delmarva or Aberdeen who is doing well? Let them take their lumps in the majors and learn right? It’s only ever AAA that impatient fans want to gloss over. 

I have advocated bringing Maverick Handley straight up, skipping AA and AAA.  It would be unorthodox, but he would be an immediate improvement over any catcher they currently throw out there right now and you can continue to game Rutschmans service time.

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

That’s a fair point, and I will grant it. Meanwhile about bringing somebody up from AA, that’s an intriguing possibility, but I don’t know who might be an option.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s a fair point, and I will grant it. Meanwhile about bringing somebody up from AA, that’s an intriguing possibility, but I don’t know who might be an option.

The only thing is MLB isn't allowing players to be directly called up below AAA level due to covid protocols. Players in AA and below have to go through a quarantine period this season if activated to the MLB roster.

Why not just test any players getting called up regardless of minor league affiliation, but MLB is gonna MLB. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/covid-related-rules-for-prospect-callups

It’s not completely impossible to call someone up from, say, Double-A, as used to happen on occasion. But that player would have to quarantine, in effect, for an extended period, before being allowed to join the big league roster, a tough hill to climb for a big league club that has an immediate need.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sevastras said:

Maybe Jones defense improves at the ML level simply by throwing the ball to Mountcastle or Mancini.  Ryan isnt exactly a GG candidate at 1B.

Yet.   Ryan has not spent much time at 1B playing defense.   Give him a year of regular time there and I  hope we see the soft hands of a good SS playing 1B.   His hitting should keep in the lineup to get that playing time.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yet.   Ryan has not spent much time at 1B playing defense.   Give him a year of regular time there and I  hope we see the soft hands of a good SS playing 1B.   His hitting should keep in the lineup to get that playing time.

For the most part Mountcastle has looked solid at 1B.  Some of the metrics grade him slightly above average.   

13 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Yeah he’s not going anywhere soon.

On the first HR, Kevin Brown’s call was “Pat Valaika has left the building!”   I laughed out loud because so many OHers have been calling for him to do just that!  

But maybe less so right now.