A different kind of Trade Deadline Strategy

wildcard

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’d still say, it’s all a matter of playing the odds in a given situation given your evaluation of the player.   We can all think of trades where the prospects turned out to be worth many multiples of the veteran player and the team that traded for the vet got absolutely fleeced.   And then again, we can remember trades where the prospects never did anything and the veteran had a lot of value.   And some teams/GMs are really good at knowing when to hold and when to fold.  It’s not an easy task.   It’s probably a little easier if you have a really deep system and can trade away good prospects because you’ve got someone equally good at the same position in the system.  

Right, which is my point,  You stick to your plan and your philosophies.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

This is the hardest team sport to be successful at, so no matter how good you are or how much you know, you will fail more often than not.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems to me you can win or lose either way.   You keep guys until they succeed or fail, some of them will fail.   You trade guys before they succeed or fail, some of those you trade will succeed and the other team will win the trade.   Other times they’ll fail and you’ll win the trade.  

I think the real key is, don’t get overly attached to the talent on your own team.   View everyone objectively same as you would if they were another team’s prospect.   As a fan, I find it really hard to do.   But a GM needs to do that.    

It's not just a matter of being objective about your guys but also about the overall situation of your rebuild. IMO we are nowhere near ready to be trading from the long term talent pool to get guaranteed wins now. We don't know who our core is or even if we have a core. I have no idea whether DL Hall is undervalued or overvalued but I know we are not in a position to trade someone with Ace potential for two year of Ramirez.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You getting the sneaking suspicion that the spider tack crackdown is leading Means' demise?  Me, too.

Not at all.   I thought he pitched well yesterday.  I think he will finish the season well.   As good as April/May?   No, but I never would’ve expected him to do that, spider tack or not.   

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You getting the sneaking suspicion that the spider tack crackdown is leading Means' demise?  Me, too.

I think it is as well. I was all for moving him before his DL stint, even more now.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t know yet.  On one hand, he seemed to pitch well the other day.  The Nats were attacking early and that could be the reason he didn’t get a lot of Ks.

Otoh, he hit 3 guys and only missed 3 bats.  He will not be successful if he isn’t missing bats and striking guys out.

I just need to see more.

I just think it’s an adjustment.  Fry struggled but he is settling in now.  

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Some might call it arrogance, others might call it resolve. I think it's as simple as identifying a problem/situation, analyzing it to the best of your ability and that of the resources at your disposal, reaching a conclusion, and sticking to that decision. Beyond that, Elias will learn when and how to adjust as he gains experience in the #1 chair.  Honestly, I don't even have any gripes with him at the moment. We all wanted Holliday up, then he stunk. Then we all wanted Mayo up, then he stunk. So who are we complaining about now? I can't even keep up. Not to derail, but it's the same unfair criticism that Hyde is facing on this board. Manager and GM sure have become thankless responsibilities around here. And I know how you all talk about Harbaugh on the football board, too. I'm not apologist for any of them, but I do admire the fact that they've been able to build a championship-caliber club and maintain it through all of the injury adversity we've faced. This board is quick to point out mistakes, but is terrible at giving credit where credit is due, and having the most wins in the American League as we sit here on September 6 deserves a bunch of credit. 
    • Great example, even if we only kept him for part of the season.  Holzman was one of those guys whose success defined explanation, especially by current standards.  He went 5 - 4 for us with a tidy 2.86 ERA... but he allowed 100 hits in 97 innings and allowed more walks (35) than KOs (25).  
    • Is it really more difficult? Much more?    To this O’s fan, the 1970s were a lot “easier” than the 2000s. 
    • That seems to require that Dominguez would be the better contributor. 
    • I live in California and prices for games in SF and Oakland change day-to-day. That is just normal in 2024, any price is only the price at the moment.
    • https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/09/yankees-rumors-jasson-dominguez-alex-verdugo-left-field.html   this is a fascinating article about the Yankees refusal to call up extremely promising prospect Jasson Dominguez to replace extremely disappointing veteran Alex Verdugo. On one hand, Cashman was willing to go public with management disagreement about whether to call up Dominguez and is personally(along with Aaron Boone) taking responsibility for not doing so, so kudos for that. On the other hand, he didn’t really give any reason for not making the change, so we’re left to just assume that it is stubbornness or ego. Over in Baltimore, Elias has, arguably, made similar mistakes. I share because I think this illustrates that, individual skills and talents aside, every GM suffers from a certain arrogance that renders them unable to admit a mistake or to address it in a timely or effective manner. after several years of remaking, the organization, for which Elias deserves much praise, he’s now in a different phase, and that phase is addressing problems and maintaining the success of the last couple of years. And that’s much more difficult. We can only hope that he makes adjustments as necessary.
  • Popular Contributors