Tonight Tyler Wells is eligible to come off the 10 day IL.

wildcard

Tyler Wells experienced a little soreness in his right wrist yesterday following Monday’s live batting practice session and the Orioles are going day-to-day with him. He could be reinstated from the injured list Friday, over the weekend or later.

“We’re erring on the side of caution here,” Hyde said.

“We’ll see how he feels on the off-day tomorrow, we’ll see how he feels on Friday. If he feels ready to go, it’s a possibility we’ll activate him Friday or over the weekend, but we’re monitoring day-to-day right now.”

From Roch.

16 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Zach Pop currently has a 4.93 ERA and a 1.487 WHIP in 38.1 IP. Can we stop being sad about him already?

Having seen him against the Orioles last week, I’d still say he’s got a pretty good chance to become an above average reliever.  I’ll be sad about him for at least another year while watching how he develops.  You have to consider that he hadn’t pitched since April 2019, was coming off TJ surgery, and had barely pitched in AA.   To have a sub-5.00 ERA in those circumstances isn’t too bad.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Having seen him against the Orioles last week, I’d still say he’s got a pretty good chance to become an above average reliever.  I’ll be sad about him for at least another year while watching how he develops.  You have to consider that he hadn’t pitched since April 2019, was coming off TJ surgery, and had barely pitched in AA.   To have a sub-5.00 ERA in those circumstances isn’t too bad.   

The low K rate is surprising to me although he is missing bats, so that’s encouraging.

18 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Zach Pop currently has a 4.93 ERA and a 1.487 WHIP in 38.1 IP. Can we stop being sad about him already?

Sure you can look at his overall numbers and take that opinion, but if you did a little detailed research you might have a different conclusion.

Over his last 15 appearances and 14.1 IP, he's pitched to a 2.57 ERA and held batters to a .692 OPS. 

His baseball SAVANT numbers shows he has 92 percentile for EV against and 81st percentile for hard hit% which means he doesn't get hit hard. Even though his K rate is not great, he gets a lot of ground balls (58.1%) and has a 90% percentile chase rate. 

This is from a guy who missed almost two seasons and had only 32 innings above A ball.

So while you certainly can make any opinion you want about him, he would be one of the Orioles best relievers right now and would be a rookie. 

Let's put this another way. What reliever on the team or in AAA would you rather have than him when looking towards the future?

Meanwhile, Isaac Mattson, who Elias choose to protect over him because he acquired him in a trade, has a 10.32 ERA in AAA this year. 

BTW, even if you want to use his entire season stats to judge him, batters have slashed .247/.348/.357/.705 off his this season with a 3:1 GB/FB ratio. 

So yes, I am sad that we lost a cost controlled, 24-year old rookie ground ball getting, weak contact inducing side-armer who should have been protected over multiple players who were actually protected by Elias and his crew.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure you can look at his overall numbers and take that opinion, but if you did a little detailed research you might have a different conclusion.

Over his last 15 appearances and 14.1 IP, he's pitched to a 2.57 ERA and held batters to a .692 OPS. 

His baseball SAVANT numbers shows he has 92 percentile for EV against and 81st percentile for hard hit% which means he doesn't get hit hard. Even though his K rate is not great, he gets a lot of ground balls (58.1%) and has a 90% percentile chase rate. 

This is from a guy who missed almost two seasons and had only 32 innings above A ball.

So while you certainly can make any opinion you want about him, he would be one of the Orioles best relievers right now and would be a rookie. 

Let's put this another way. What reliever on the team or in AAA would you rather have than him when looking towards the future?

Meanwhile, Isaac Mattson, who Elias choose to protect over him because he acquired him in a trade, has a 10.32 ERA in AAA this year. 

BTW, even if you want to use his entire season stats to judge him, batters have slashed .247/.348/.357/.705 off his this season with a 3:1 GB/FB ratio. 

So yes, I am sad that we lost a cost controlled, 24-year old rookie ground ball getting, weak contact inducing side-armer who should have been protected over multiple players who were actually protected by Elias and his crew.

I know you like to bring Mattson but there were far better examples of people to let go than him (not that I disagree with you about him but we had older options and/or guys who have already proven they aren’t good that could/should have been cut).  I still can’t fathom that Elias made such a poor judgment on this one and kept the AAAA garbage that he did over him.  

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just a tiny correction, that's actually his RA9. ERA is 9.53, so.. not much better! Re: Mattson though, what do you think is going on with him this year? He had a combined 2.82 ERA between A+, AA, and AAA in 2019 for the Angels. Never had an ERA above 4 in his minor league career before this year, so I'm definitely not ready to give up on him yet. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just a tiny correction, that's actually his RA9. ERA is 9.53, so.. not much better! Re: Mattson though, what do you think is going on with him this year? He had a combined 2.82 ERA between A+, AA, and AAA in 2019 for the Angels. Never had an ERA above 4 in his minor league career before this year, so I'm definitely not ready to give up on him yet. 

Thanks for the correction, glanced at the wrong one. When we got Mattson I did some video scouting of him and didn't see anything that impressed me. I checked with some other scouts and and baseball people and they were of the same opinion. More of a AAAA kind of guy who you can bring up and down to eat some unimportant innings, but definitely not a guy that gets taken in the rule 5 draft.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Thanks for the correction, glanced at the wrong one. When we got Mattson I did some video scouting of him and didn't see anything that impressed me. I checked with some other scouts and and baseball people and they were of the same opinion. More of a AAAA kind of guy who you can bring up and down to eat some unimportant innings, but definitely not a guy that gets taken in the rule 5 draft.

It's his first real taste of AAA (only 9 innings in 2019), so maybe that's part of the issue. Otherwise, odd choice in the Bundy trade and to protect on the roster. Certainly would have been nice for him to be at least a little useful this year. 

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know you like to bring Mattson but there were far better examples of people to let go than him (not that I disagree with you about him but we had older options and/or guys who have already proven they aren’t good that could/should have been cut).  I still can’t fathom that Elias made such a poor judgment on this one and kept the AAAA garbage that he did over him.  

I have been consistently talking about players added instead of him which is why I bring up Mattson. Who are the "far better examples" of older players added instead of Pop?

I realize you believe your knowledge is far superior then us lowly mortals, so please tell me about the far better examples than Mattson so I may try and learn from your infinite and all knowing wisdom.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have been consistently talking about players added instead of him which is why I bring up Mattson. Who are the "far better examples" of older players added instead of Pop?

I realize you believe your knowledge is far superior then us lowly mortals, so please tell me about the far better examples than Mattson so I may try and learn from your infinite and all knowing wisdom.

Gotta love the drama in this post.  I guess we should only use your opinions and thoughts? 

I don't remember all the names on the 40 man at that time but guys like Sulser, Lakins and Valaika are examples.  I would have rather risked losing them than exposing Mattson.  There were around 10 or so guys at the time that I felt could have been cut in favor of keeping Pop.  Lopez was one of them too.  Now, would I have rather kept Lopez over Mattson?  I am not sure.  But Mattson was never someone I felt needed to be in the picture of that conversation.  He was younger, a guy that Elias obviously liked and someone who represented some level of upside.  

A guy like Valaika wasn't likely to be claimed if your DFA'ed him and the team has so much confidence in him that they only gave him a split contract.  I would trade Valaika for Mattson every day of the week and I would certainly do it for Pop. (again, using that one example)

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Oh don't get me wrong, it was definitely incorrect not to protect him. I was just saying it wasn't a big mistake because the results haven't seemed amazing. Your baseball SAVANT numbers are eye-opening and there's reason to believe he might be significantly better than he's showed. I guess we'll see

On 8/5/2021 at 12:20 PM, Sports Guy said:

Gotta love the drama in this post.  I guess we should only use your opinions and thoughts? 

I don't remember all the names on the 40 man at that time but guys like Sulser, Lakins and Valaika are examples.  I would have rather risked losing them than exposing Mattson.  There were around 10 or so guys at the time that I felt could have been cut in favor of keeping Pop.  Lopez was one of them too.  Now, would I have rather kept Lopez over Mattson?  I am not sure.  But Mattson was never someone I felt needed to be in the picture of that conversation.  He was younger, a guy that Elias obviously liked and someone who represented some level of upside.  

A guy like Valaika wasn't likely to be claimed if your DFA'ed him and the team has so much confidence in him that they only gave him a split contract.  I would trade Valaika for Mattson every day of the week and I would certainly do it for Pop. (again, using that one example)

They were already on the roster. I specifically said players added instead of Pop, not kept on the roster instead of adding Pop. You then claimed there were far superior examples than Mattson. I asked you for them, and you didn't give me one example that met my criteria.

My issue is that you have to say things like "far better options" than the guy I listed but you didn't even thoroughly read why I picked Mattson. 

Perhaps take your time, and use less hyperbole and stop trying to come off like the board know it all. You have a lot of of good thoughts and ideas but you just continue to try and degrade others opinions instead of just sticking to the facts without the hyperbole or denigration of other's ideas or opinions. 

Saying all that, Valika was a 28 year old coming off a .791 OPs season in 2020 with no clear second baseman, so no, he was not going to be DFa'd nor should have been at that time. Sulser was the pitcher I was surprised they kept but then we found out about the knee injury that affected him last year and in a year where they knew they would need a lot of pitchers it made sense to keep him around.

Back to guys added, I would not have added Mattson or Bannon and definitely would have protected Pop had I known there were no reports suggesting he was not healthy. I said that at the time and I still stand by those evaluations.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They were already on the roster. I specifically said players added instead of Pop, not kept on the roster instead of adding Pop. You then claimed there were far superior examples than Mattson. I asked you for them, and you didn't give me one example that met my criteria.

My issue is that you have to say things like "far better options" than the guy I listed but you didn't even thoroughly read why I picked Mattson. 

Perhaps take your time, and use less hyperbole and stop trying to come off like the board know it all. You have a lot of of good thoughts and ideas but you just continue to try and degrade others opinions instead of just sticking to the facts without the hyperbole or denigration of other's ideas or opinions. 

Saying all that, Valika was a 28 year old coming off a .791 OPs season in 2020 with no clear second baseman, so no, he was not going to be DFa'd nor should have been at that time. Sulser was the pitcher I was surprised they kept but then we found out about the knee injury that affected him last year and in a year where they knew they would need a lot of pitchers it made sense to keep him around.

Back to guys added, I would not have added Mattson or Bannon and definitely would have protected Pop had I known there were no reports suggesting he was not healthy. I said that at the time and I still stand by those evaluations.

I’m not sure why any reports would have suggested he wasn’t healthy.   He was reporting to be fully healthy as of early September 2020.   https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/pop-says-hes-fully-healthy-while-throwing-in-canada.html

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure why any reports would have suggested he wasn’t healthy.   He was reporting to be fully healthy as of early September 2020.   https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/pop-says-hes-fully-healthy-while-throwing-in-canada.html

The Orioles keep their prospect injury news like the Russians kept state secrets in the Kremlin. My only thought was that was why Elias would leave him unprotected. I think he left him unprotected because he's too focused on spin rates and four seamers while Pop is a two seam sinker sidearmer who gets ground balls instead of strikeouts. I don't think Pop fit the Elias mold so he didn't protect him. 

Or, it could just be a case of wanting to keep a guy you acquired (Mattson) over a guy your predecessor acquire (Pop). I don't know, but if you watch both pitch I don know how any evaluator would pick a 26-year old Mattson over a 24-year old Pop.