Diplan and Dusten Knight joining team

eddie83

12 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Cool site. I wonder if there’s a site anywhere were you can look up a specific member of a particular orchestra And find out what he’s making.

I bet the salaries are a bit lower than Mr. Plutko is making.

And I bet very few people care, ha ha

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meanwhile was Dusten Knight a ranked prospect?

No, 30 year old career minor league. Actually played in the independent league for a bit. So a similar kind of story to Watkins. He really earned the promotion though as he's been putting up some big numbers at AAA this year.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Frobby said:

I read it, and still don’t believe it.  There’s zero reason why anyone would have guaranteed his salary.  And he’s making essentially what any 3rd year player not eligible for arbitration makes.  

I don’t disagree, seems strange.

53 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I do wonder who will become the 5th starter once they need one. Don’t need one until August 14. Akin could always go back. They really only need a 5th starter 3 more times rest of month. 

John Means, Matt Harvey, Spenser Watkins, Jorge Lopez, Bruce Zimmermann. Keegan Akin waiting fighting for another chance from the bullpen should management finally decide to move Lopez to the bullpen or the Watkins train runs out of steam. 

41 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

John Means, Matt Harvey, Spenser Watkins, Jorge Lopez, Bruce Zimmermann. Keegan Akin waiting fighting for another chance from the bullpen should management finally decide to move Lopez to the bullpen or the Watkins train runs out of steam. 

I’m wondering how long it will be before they pair Lopez with someone else as a tandem. He’s made it extremely clear he’s only good for 65 to 70 pitches. Akin might be a good pairing

I'm guessing Leyba and Gutierrez will be DFA'd. The Orioles still need to cover innings so they probably don't want to DFA pitchers unless they have to or they thin they won't lose them.

Saying that Plutko has pitched to a 6.31 ERA in 26.1 IP and has been scored upon in 9 of his 15 outings since June 1st so if they want to DFA him, I doubt anyone not related to him will be too upset.

Anderson is a dime a dozen AAAA reliever too, and although Conner Greene has a good arm and needs to have repertoire trimmed down, his results have been pretty awful in AAA and not exactly stellar in his two major league outings. 

I'd also consider DFAing Mattson who never should have been put on the 40-man in the first place and Cesar Valdez can't get righties out. 

So Elias has smorgasbord of options. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I’m wondering how long it will be before they pair Lopez with someone else as a tandem. He’s made it extremely clear he’s only good for 65 to 70 pitches. Akin might be a good pairing

Lopez has not at all made it clear that is good for 65 to 70. He has had plenty of starts where he has lost the game for us earlier than that. 

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lopez has not at all made it clear that is good for 65 to 70. He has had plenty of starts where he has lost the game for us earlier than that. 

Every time he makes it to the fifth inning, I check his pitch count and it’s 65 or so. Sometimes he doesn’t make it to the fifth before reaching that number, and if he does I always say that Hyde should pull him or at least have a reliever ready in case he flounders, and Hyde always leaves him and he almost always flounders.

He’s been pretty good at getting through the first four innings, though.

But I do take your point.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Very clear that this is what should be done. Just an inning or two would be a waste of his combination of velocity and variety of pitches. It's an experiment but they should find the right 2-3 inning pitcher to pair him with. On the rare occasion that Lopez can go 6 (like he did the day before yesterday vs. the Y's), the other half then becomes available as middle relief.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Steve you are on top of this roster stuff.   Zimmermann is the likely starter IMO also if he is healthy and looks good in his final rehab start which could come as soon as tomorrow.

I hope he is healthy. That said they don’t need a 5th starter until the 14th. No need to rush him back. He can get more work in minors before then.