Rutschman to Norfolk

Frobby

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

Well, I don't think a 16 year old US kid is eligible to sign. 

Exactly. I never really understood why MLB allows teams to sign international players at 16 but not US. What's the difference? Admittedly, maybe I'm missing something here. 

1 hour ago, Gentile4 said:

Exactly. I never really understood why MLB allows teams to sign international players at 16 but not US. What's the difference? Admittedly, maybe I'm missing something here. 

Unfortunately they don't have the opportunities to develope in their native countries like the US kids have. 

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Unfortunately they don't have the opportunities to develope in their native countries like the US kids have. 

And apparently many people in those countries aren't still getting a public education until they are 18 anyway.   Signing high school players to pro contracts would not fly in the US, but there it is probably desirable as these guys are, due to poverty and their situation, ready to start doing what they have to to support their families.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

You don’t need to choose between those.  We could bring up Rutschman tomorrow and he’d still be under team control in 2027, barring unforeseen changes in the CBA.   2028 is a different story.   

Maybe my math is a wee bit off. ?