Yanks: 5/80 for AJ?

wildcard

Don't go after Burnett. Please, don't. We are not at a phase in our rebuilding that allows for us to overpay for FA anything, let alone overpay for free agent pitchers.

I'm not even sold on us going after Tex. Let's fix us NOW, then worry about signing FA when we're on the cusp of something special. Right now this team is dead awful. AJ isn't going to fix it, not even with the combination of Tex.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't go after Burnett. Please, don't. We are not at a phase in our rebuilding that allows for us to overpay for FA anything, let alone overpay for free agent pitchers.

I'm not even sold on us going after Tex. Let's fix us NOW, then worry about signing FA when we're on the cusp of something special. Right now this team is dead awful. AJ isn't going to fix it, not even with the combination of Tex.

I hate to keep on bugging you, but have you heard anything else about a Kakes extension?

Other FAs aren't going to want to come here until we make the playoffs. Tex and Burnett are our best chances at landing prime talent.

Other FAs aren't going to want to come here until we make the playoffs. Tex and Burnett are our best chances at landing prime talent.

Most FAs just follow the money.

And hell no to Burnett at that price. I'd go with 4/60 guaranteed at the very most, maybe with adding a vesting option and IP incentives to up it to 5/90.

He's too much of an injury risk to give so much guaranteed money. He could easily Pavano us.

Somehow, I doubt it. The Player's Union frowns upon taking less money, and could apply pressure to him.

Of course, he could always tell them to "stick it". Mussina did that on the contract he signed with us. If I'm not mistaken, Tom Glavine was ticked that Mussina had taken a "lowball" offer to extend here.

Didn't Vlad take less money to sign with the Angels than we offered him?

For $10M he could buy a Gulfstream and fly to the estate of his choice anywhere in the country between starts. This idea that he'll give a big hometown discount to play on a 5th-place team is wildly optimistic speculation.

Brief sidenote, Burnett's wife doesn't like to fly. Toronto added as an incentive in his contract that his wife could have X number of limousine rides from their house in Maryland to Toronto every single year.

Here's a article debunking the 5/80 offer:

While it isn't clear if the Yankees have yet to formally extend an offer to Burnett, it is believed not to be in the five-year, $80 million range as speculated in some areas. But the Yankees probably will have to exceed the four-year, $52 million contract Ryan Dempster agreed to yesterday with the Chicago Cubs.

My guess is the 5/80 was leaked to scare teams off and to get his suitors to prepare better offers...

Here's a article debunking the 5/80 offer:

My guess is the 5/80 was leaked to scare teams off and to get his suitors to prepare better offers...

I dont see the Orioles offering 5/75 ...I'd imagine that this would end the AJ Burnett rumors...That is of course unless he is using others to get the best deal from the O's;)

Archived