(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It would be such a waste of a season if we don’t come away with 1:1

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

Seriously. I've been rooting HARD for losses and will continue to do so.

I don’t agree with this.   What will happen with the draft order, will happen.   We will have a very good draft position and by far the more important thing is to make good choices with the picks we have.   

• Upvote 1

I definitely do not root for us to lose.  We have done enough of that over the last several years to last a lifetime.  We have been playing pretty well really since the Atlanta series and I am happy to see it.  Too much losing is not good for anybody, so I am glad to see us have some success.

Arizona is all kinds of bad and they lose almost incessantly.  I am not sure that they are capable of winning even 5 more games all year.  Thankfully, Pittsburgh and Texas have been somewhat decent in the last few days and so it looks like we may be able to land in the 1 or 2 spot and that is just fine.  It would be great to get the 1st pick, but I would rather that happen because the Os and D-Backs both win....not because we keep losing.  

Today, the HOF welcomes Derek Jeter (6th overall pick), Larry Walker (signed by the Expos as an amateur free agent), and Ted Simmons (10th overall pick).  Having the 2nd pick would not be the end of the world.  

I really would like us to have the first overall pick. 

As far as I can tell, though, there’s not a consensus #1 headed into next years draft. A lot of people like Green and so do I, but he’s not a lock. 

if the Orioles do botch this and wind up with #2, it won’t be the end of the world. 

I’m more amazed that there’s a team out there worse than us. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really would like us to have the first overall pick. 

As far as I can tell, though, there’s not a consensus #1 headed into next years draft. A lot of people like Green and so do I, but he’s not a lock. 

if the Orioles do botch this and wind up with #2, it won’t be the end of the world. 

I’m more amazed that there’s a team out there worse than us. 

Just because we don't have a consensus guy now doesn't mean we won't have one at draft time. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

ItS So bAd 4 BaSeBaLl!!!!1111

Well, it is.  

Now, not all of those teams were tanking.  Minnesota, DC and the Cubs were playoff hopefuls entering the year.

But overall, you will have about 1/3 of the league finishing with 70ish wins or less.  That’s pretty bad.  You will always have bad teams but it seems like the number of bad teams is constantly going up.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, it is.  

Now, not all of those teams were tanking.  Minnesota, DC and the Cubs were playoff hopefuls entering the year.

But overall, you will have about 1/3 of the league finishing with 70ish wins or less.  That’s pretty bad.  You will always have bad teams but it seems like the number of bad teams is constantly going up.

I'm quoting you, but anyone can answer this question.

Does anyone know if there's been multiple articles written about the Diamondbacks and how they're ruining the sport with their tanking?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, it is.  

I'm hopeful that this approach will decline in popularity now that it is becoming so prevalent.    The total strip and rebuild model becomes less advantageous the more teams are using it in a given season.

The main selling point, to allows owners to sharply reduce payroll is still in play so I don't expect it to go away completely.