Rylan Bannon 2021

Just Regular

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think if you make a statement like that you need to back it up with some specific alternatives you think are easy to achieve.   

And don’t say just hand the job to Bannon.   To me, that’s a lazy statement.    Bannon has played 20 AAA games and his resume wasn’t strong enough to even bring him to the alternate camp.   I’m not saying he shouldn’t get a hard look in spring training and have a chance to win a job, but you don’t just give him the job because he’s not Rio Ruiz.    

There are countless of options out there.   I have already named a guy like Brian Anderson, although we also don’t know that he is actually available.

We just  saw the power of money..the Cards stole Arenado because of money.   There are plenty of situations out there that you can take advantage of...but of course we aren’t allowed to do that.  Still, there are blocked guys and things like that you can go after.

Speaking of the Cards, Elehuris Montero is an intriguing option.  Probably not ready for the majors yet but could be soon.  He is not only blocked by Arenado but also Gorman and Walker.  He should be readily available.

But I don’t really need to back up a statement that says Ruiz has no business starting at third for us.  You have seen him play.  That’s all the statement I need. He is average-ish defensively and isn’t good offensively.  In what amounts to a full season of play appearances for the Os, he has a .4 WAR and a 700ish OPs.  He turns 27 in May and just isn’t good.  You already know he’s not good.  He’s not a prospect at all.  There is zero reason to keep running him out there.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There are countless of options out there.   I have already named a guy like Brian Anderson, although we also don’t know that he is actually available.

We just  saw the power of money..the Cards stole Arenado because of money.  

Speaking of the Cards, Elehuris Montero is an intriguing option.  Probably not ready for the majors yet but could be soon.  He is not only blocked by Arenado but also Gorman and Walker.  He should be readily available.

But I don’t really need to back up a statement that says Ruiz has no business starting at third for us.  He isn’t good.  He is average-ish defensively and isn’t good offensively.  In what amounts to a full season of play appearances for the Os, he has a .4 WAR and a 700ish OPs.  He turns 27 in May and just isn’t good.  You already know he’s not good.  He’s not a prospect at all.  There is zero reason to keep running him out there.

I don’t want to turn this into a thread where I look like a big supporter of Rio Ruiz, because I’m not.   But he was worth 0.7 rWAR last year, which translates to 1.9 over a full season.    That’s far from awful for a guy earning the major league minimum.    And I’d agree with you that at 27 there’s not a ton of upside there, and that we shouldn’t put too much stock in last year’s small sample.   But I’d say he did enough last year where you at least give him a shot at this year’s job, recognizing that he’s probably not a guy you’ll want for the long term.    I’m happy to look at other alternatives and provide him some legit competition for the spot.

Brian Anderson is a good player coming off a very good short season and I’d assume the Marlins would want quite a bit in exchange.   

Elehuris Montero might be an interesting guy to acquire but he doesn’t seem like an option to man 3B in the majors in 2021.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t want to turn this into a thread where I look like a big supporter of Rio Ruiz, because I’m not.   But he was worth 0.7 rWAR last year, which translates to 1.9 over a full season.    That’s far from awful for a guy earning the major league minimum.    And I’d agree with you that at 27 there’s not a ton of upside there, and that we shouldn’t put too much stock in last year’s small sample.   But I’d say he did enough last year where you at least give him a shot at this year’s job, recognizing that he’s probably not a guy you’ll want for the long term.    I’m happy to look at other alternatives and provide him some legit competition for the spot.

Brian Anderson is a good player coming off a very good short season and I’d assume the Marlins would want quite a bit in exchange.   

Elehuris Montero might be an interesting guy to acquire but he doesn’t seem like an option to man 3B in the majors in 2021.    

Montero is a absolutely an option this year but not likely until at least June or so but he has to perform well.  He could be a fast mover though according to some reports I was reading.

Fangraphs WAR is far lower on Ruiz.  Trust whichever you want but he’s not good and I don’t see how anyone can say he did enough last year to warrant another shot.  A 713 OPs and middling at best defense isn’t good and yet that’s the best he has done.  

Makiel Franco is a better option as well.  Sign him and get Montero (or someone like him). Gives you an upgrade now and a younger, higher upside option for later on in the summer.

Sticking with Ruiz is the definition of insanity.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Montero is a absolutely an option this year but not likely until at least June or so but he has to perform well.  He could be a fast mover though according to some reports I was reading.

Fangraphs WAR is far lower on Ruiz.  Trust whichever you want but he’s not good and I don’t see how anyone can say he did enough last year to warrant another shot.  A 713 OPs and middling at best defense isn’t good and yet that’s the best he has done.  

Makiel Franco is a better option as well.  Sign him and get Montero (or someone like him). Gives you an upgrade now and a younger, higher upside option for later on in the summer.

Sticking with Ruiz is the definition of insanity.

What do you think Franco would cost?    I’d agree he’s a mild upgrade over Ruiz.    He was scheduled to earn $2.95 mm last year, and was a bit better in 2020 than in 2019.    Would you pay $2.95 mm for the upgrade?   If not, what’s the most you’d pay to acquire him?

As to Montero, all I know about him is his MiL stats.    He was last seen OPSing .552 in 59 Texas League games and .633 in the AFL in 2019.     That doesn’t cry out “fast mover” to me, but perhaps there’s more to his story.    I wouldn’t mind having him in our system but don’t see any reason to think he’s a piece of the 2021 major league puzzle.    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What do you think Franco would cost?    I’d agree he’s a mild upgrade over Ruiz.    He was scheduled to earn $2.95 mm last year, and was a bit better in 2020 than in 2019.    Would you pay $2.95 mm for the upgrade?   If not, what’s the most you’d pay to acquire him?

As to Montero, all I know about him is his MiL stats.    He was last seen OPSing .552 in 59 Texas League games and .633 in the AFL in 2019.     That doesn’t cry out “fast mover” to me, but perhaps there’s more to his story.    I wouldn’t mind having him in our system but don’t see any reason to think he’s a piece of the 2021 major league puzzle.    

Sure, I would pay 3M for Franco.  That is nothing and you probably won’t have to pay that.  I would pay more than 3M.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let me rephrase.  If you had a set budget that didn't include 3M for Franco would it be worthwhile to make other moves to free up the 3M needed?

Well, there are only so many moves you can do on this team to do that.

I would certainly trade Santander for the right deal.  That’s likely the easiest way to do it.

Of course, I wouldn’t trade Santander just to add Franco but if we traded Santander and had to money to add a guy like that, I would make the move.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, there are only so many moves you can do on this team to do that.

I would certainly trade Santander for the right deal.  That’s likely the easiest way to do it.

Of course, I wouldn’t trade Santander just to add Franco but if we traded Santander and had to money to add a guy like that, I would make the move.

The thing is, I don't think Elias is lazy, not in the least.  He's forced to be cheap.

He has a limited amount of moves he can make.

• Upvote 2

On 1/29/2021 at 7:30 PM, Philip said:

I hope he’s going to make the team. I want him at third base, but he only hit 238 last year and I’m not sure he’s got enough of a bat.

Never hits for a high average, but a good power/OBP guy.  I'd predict a .750 - .800 year for him as a regular.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The thing is, I don't think Elias is lazy, not in the least.  He's forced to be cheap.

He has a limited amount of moves he can make.

He is limited by payroll..but he can make moves to acquire cheap players that have upside..blocked prospects, etc...

He has also a 40 man roster that is about to get very crowded and you will risk losing guys for nothing soon enough.  You have to start making some moves.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He is limited by payroll..but he can make moves to acquire cheap players that have upside..blocked prospects, etc...

He has also a 40 man roster that is about to get very crowded and you will risk losing guys for nothing soon enough.  You have to start making some moves.

Guys that need to be protected this November:  DL Hall, Smith, Vavra  Adam Hall and Bradish.    Rutschman if he called up this season but if he is not he will not need be to protected until April 2022.  Sedlock and Hanifee if they improve.

Players that will come off the 40 man roster by Nov. Goudeau and Lopez probably be gone before Opening Day to make room for veteran additions that are signed in minor league contracts like Milone and maybe Alberto.  Cobb, Sulser,  Ruiz, one of Severino or Sisco (could be both) in Nov.   Sanchez and Galvis are FA.  Mancini if traded at the deadline. Otherwise he is probably traded over the winter.  Davis is off the 40 man as soon as the O's know how many games will be played in 2022.

I don't really see a roster crunch this off season.

• Upvote 1