Rylan Bannon 2021

Just Regular

4 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

I hope they DFA Franco ASAP and get Jones and Bannon up here while they are hot.  Probably won't happen until September though. 

You can only call up 2 additional players in September.  It's no longer the old rule where you could activate the entire 40 man roster is you wanted to.  So, we're likely looking at a third catcher - and his name will not be Rutschman - and another bullpen arm.  I hope this rule changes.  15 extra players was too much, but 2 is far too few.  Maybe make it 5 or something in that range.

20 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You can only call up 2 additional players in September.  It's no longer the old rule where you could activate the entire 40 man roster is you wanted to.  So, we're likely looking at a third catcher - and his name will not be Rutschman - and another bullpen arm.  I hope this rule changes.  15 extra players was too much, but 2 is far too few.  Maybe make it 5 or something in that range.

I'm mixed on the September rule. As a rebuilding team, I want to see some prospects so I want a larger roster, but from a competitive standpoint. I agree with Buck's point back in the day that it doesn't make sense to play a whole season one way and a month another way. The three batter rule helps a bit because it takes away the constant pitching changes in September, but I don't like the three batter rule either so I guess I don't really know what the right number is here. 

He's certainly about as hot as anyone can get right now. He's slashing .545/.643/1.682/2.325 with 8 home runs in his last 28 PAs over  7 games. That's almost unheard of.

Hell, he's on the 40-man and Franco is the only thing in his way, bring him up while he's smoking hot and DFA Franco. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

They seem to play him more at third.  Second would put less pressure on his bat and I believe I recall Luke saying that he felt Bannon was a better fit defensively there. 

He struggles to turn the double play and doesn't really have the range you would like to see there. Saying that, he might be better there than 3B where his side arm throwing motion will end up with a lot of errors.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's certainly about as hot as anyone can get right now. He's slashing .545/.643/1.682/2.325 with 8 home runs in his last 28 PAs over  7 games. That's almost unheard of.

Hell, he's on the 40-man and Franco is the only thing in his way, bring him up while he's smoking hot and DFA Franco. 

And Franco is not going to be on the team next year, the least Elias can do is throw the fans a bone for the last month of the season. 

50 minutes ago, Babkins said:

Jones has slashed .190/.242/.310 in 62 PA in August. Had a good game last night, but he hasn’t been hot in over a month.

Sure, but we need to see if he is a capable major leaguer.  Give him some time.  It's not like we'll lose more games with him playing.  

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm constantly amazed that Franco not only has not been DFA'ed, but is still getting regular at bats.  Thank him for his time, wish him well, and send him on his way. 

24 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Sure, but we need to see if he is a capable major leaguer.  Give him some time.  It's not like we'll lose more games with him playing.  

Why would we think he is a capable major leaguer if he is a barely mediocre minor leaguer? I don't get the fascination with Jahmai aside from a couple hot months early in the season. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why would we think he is a capable major leaguer if he is a barely mediocre minor leaguer? I don't get the fascination with Jahmai aside from a couple hot months early in the season. 

Really?

He as the Angels 7th best prospect when we got him.  He is currently the Orioles 18th best prospect.

Overall, he has had a solid but unspectacular season and his OPS now is around .750.  He's young, cheap, and under team control for a while.  It really isn't that hard to understand why he should get a look. 

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Really?

He as the Angels 7th best prospect when we got him.  He is currently the Orioles 18th best prospect.

Overall, he has had a solid but unspectacular season and his OPS now is around .750.  He's young, cheap, and under team control for a while.  It really isn't that hard to understand why he should get a look. 

* OPS is .778.  And he probably has a better chance of being a long term solution here than Richie Martin, for instance. 

44 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'm constantly amazed that Franco not only has not been DFA'ed, but is still getting regular at bats.  Thank him for his time, wish him well, and send him on his way. 

I mean you could say that for half the roster, no?  The level of suck that has been tolerated this year is really quite amazing.

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Two things.  He just turned 24, has 11 homers in half a season of AB's and has some power and some speed.   This is his first extended look in AAA.   Some players get better.   He has some talent.   Mike Yaz was a 27-28 year old and mediocre in the minors.   I don't know if you are one of those guys, but I hope you not one who complained about letting Yaz go.

6 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I mean you could say that for half the roster, no?  The level of suck that has been tolerated this year is really quite amazing.

True, however Franco is an established vet on a one year deal.  The other players who have struggled are for the most part still young and controllable.  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Two things.  He just turned 24, has 11 homers in half a season of AB's and has some power and some speed.   This is his first extended look in AAA.   Some players get better.   He has some talent.   Mike Yaz was a 27-28 year old and mediocre in the minors.   I don't know if you are one of those guys, but I hope you not one who complained about letting Yaz go.

This. Thanks RZNJ.

Re Yaz: Hindsight is 20/20.  But I, like most, did not have a problem getting rid of a 27-28 year old AAAA player.  It happens.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Really?

Is .750 good? I don't really get excited about a player unless they are in the .800's. Career minors OPS is .730. .630 in AA in 2019. I'm just not seeing enough if the defense is as bad as it's supposed to be. I have no problem giving Urias and Mateo a shot while keeping Jahmai as insurance. I do expect to see him when rosters expand.