Tomorrow may be different but tonight the Orioles have the number one draft pick for next year. Yes we caught the Diamondbacks.

Gurgi

I want to see competitive baseball and am very disappointed in how it looks like we've taken a few steps backwards.  But at this point it's pretty pointless to win more games, so might as well go for the first pick.  That's NOT what I was hoping or expecting to see out of this year, but that's the hand we've got.  At this stage I'd rather be the worst than to be 4th or 5th worst.  

And before someone else jumps in with 'he'll just go underslot', frankly I don't care.  I'm not 100% sure that will be done with the #1 pick, as it clearly wasn't for AR, and even if it is, that strategy got us Mayo who is looking pretty good at this point, and enabled us to sign quite a few overslot guys this past draft.  We can argue if they were worth being overslot, but either way it worked from a pure 'we had the money to sign them'. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I want to see competitive baseball and am very disappointed in how it looks like we've taken a few steps backwards.  But at this point it's pretty pointless to win more games, so might as well go for the first pick.  That's NOT what I was hoping or expecting to see out of this year, but that's the hand we've got.  At this stage I'd rather be the worst than to be 4th or 5th worst.  

And before someone else jumps in with 'he'll just go underslot', frankly I don't care.  I'm not 100% sure that will be done with the #1 pick, as it clearly wasn't for AR, and even if it is, that strategy got us Mayo who is looking pretty good at this point, and enabled us to sign quite a few overslot guys this past draft.  We can argue if they were worth being overslot, but either way it worked from a pure 'we had the money to sign them'. 

Yeah that's the one thing I agree with on this rebuild, but the tanking has to stop next season in my opinion. There is no nobility in going 75-87 and not being in position to draft the best players. 

If you're going to be bad then be really bad for a few seasons and rebuild your farm system. Long term the goal should to be like the Rays and consistently develop ballplayers.

The problem with the 2012-16 Orioles they stopped developing players or finding nuggets like Wei-Yin Chen. I don't want that to happen again and go back into the wilderness after a few seasons of winning. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Or even a decent line up.   Not like we are scoring many runs either.  

We don't know what, if anything, was on the table but I don't understand why more guys weren't flipped for lottery tickets at the deadline.

I would think someone like Fry would get you something back.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know what, if anything, was on the table but I don't understand why more guys weren't flipped for lottery tickets at the deadline.

I would think someone like Fry would get you something back.

I think they felt like they need to field some semblance of a bullpen next year and there's so many years of control left on Fry and Scott. And maybe those lottery ticket offers were trash. I don't think anyone could have foretold this Fry implosion. He's had his bad moments but nothing like this.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think they felt like they need to field some semblance of a bullpen next year and there's so many years of control left on Fry and Scott. And maybe those lottery ticket offers were trash. I don't think anyone could have foretold this Fry implosion. He's had his bad moments but nothing like this.

/shrug.

I just can't worry about the bullpen on a 100 loss team.

Scott could turn into the type of weapon that has real value so I can see not flipping him but anyone else is ultimately fungible. 

I'm not suggesting that Elias should have foreseen Fry's decline.

3 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Or even a decent line up.   Not like we are scoring many runs either.  

Yes, the offense has been really tepid lately, averaging 2.8 runs/game during the losing streak.   But the craptastic pitching has overshadowed it.   And I have the feeling that the bad pitching is sapping some of the energy out of the hitters.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, the offense has been really tepid lately, averaging 2.8 runs/game during the losing streak.   But the craptastic pitching has overshadowed it.   And I have the feeling that the bad pitching is sapping some of the energy out of the hitters.  

Both sides are likely trying a bit harder.  Weren't great to begin with and mild downward changes can lead to 0-15s (and counting).

Surviving a day made out of quicksand… – The Chatty Introvert

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When you've lost 15 straight by an average of 6.40 runs (has to be a record), I'm not sure "bad pitching" is an apt description.   What would describe it is language not allowed here anyway.