New Rosenthal column

eddie83

That was mostly just a rehash of the 1988 Orioles and a recycle of Rosenthal's comments last week on tanking. One thing Rosenthal could acknowledge is how Orioles ownership made this turnaround into a monumental task for Elias.

The Orioles had little in the way of MLB ready talent from their minor league system in 2018 and Elias had to build the international player development from ground zero. Starting to understand better why people refer to him as "Ken Knows-It-All". 

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

It's not Mike Elias' job to save baseball.  It's his job to fix Baltimore.  Ken Rosenthal can kiss it.  He isn't interested in what is best for Baltimore....

He praised the Astros, Cubs and Phillies for tanking(Phillies didn’t end up as well as the other two), but now that the Os are doing it it is the worst thing ever and things have to change. I have always liked Kurkjian better than these other “baseball guys”. 

• Upvote 1

I'm all for the rebuild, but I still think we're 3 years away from really getting to the point where doing it the right way on a low budget (e.g., in house) can produce a winner. 

The new CBA will likely change the incentives, but even with a very similar CBA Elias will be forced to at least pretend to compete. He will also have to look in the mirror to see if the managers/coaches we have in house deserve to be here. 

• Upvote 2

Ken is a good writer.  By that I mean his use of the English language is good.  It's easy enough to read, the language is clear and concise.

But as far as the actual column goes, I'm not sure what the point of it was.  He rehashes the 1988 team's troubles and does a poor job of comparing/contrasting.  And, as noted above by @eddie83, he doesn't offer any solutions to the problem.

He also doesn't mention that the 1988 team was 5 years removed from a World Series title and a run from the mid 60s to the mid 80s where the Orioles might have been the most well run organization in the game.  IIRC from '65 to '85, no team won more games.  So in 1988, fans still had a lot of recent good memories.  

2021 doesn't have that.  We had a nice little run in the mid 2010s but that doesn't erase everything that's happened since Angelos purchased the team.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

The second portion is something many are in denial about.  No J2 presence.  They had to build an international program from the ground up, an analytics department from the ground up, and they had a lot of turnover in the player development pipeline.  

I counted the J2 prospects on BA top 100 the other day, I actually went all the way down to 200. Top 100 was 32 and top 200 is 62, so the Os basically took themselves out of 1/3rd of the prospect market. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That was mostly just a rehash of the 1988 Orioles and a recycle of Rosenthal's comments last week on tanking. One thing Rosenthal could acknowledge is how Orioles ownership made this turnaround into a monumental task for Elias.

The Orioles had little in the way of MLB ready talent from their minor league system in 2018 and Elias had to build the international player development from ground zero. Starting to understand better why people refer to him as "Ken Knows-It-All". 

Ken talks about this in the article.  He says Elias was basically starting from scratch and that the O's were waaay behind other teams when he came in in 2018.

Also, he seems to think that the 1988 team was trying because it had Murray, Ripken and a washed up Fred Lynn.  

By that measure, I guess the 2018 was trying hard because we had Manny Machado and some other names.  

The 2021 team isn't trying because we don't have any names that people would recognize outside of the diehard fanbase.

And yet if the 2021 team matches the 2018 team in wins, one team was trying and the other one wasn't.