Offseason target: Tyler Glasnow

Frobby

I thought I’d take a page from SG’s book and throw out an offseason target.  Tyler Glasnow tore his UCL shortly after the foreign substances crackdown, and blamed his injury on that.  He had his TJ surgery in early August, so we can assume he probably won’t pitch in the majors at all in 2022, or at least, very little.   He’s due for a salary increase from the $4 mm he made as a Super-3, and speculation is the Rays will non-tender him or seek to trade him.  He’s under team control for two years after this one, the first of which will mostly be a lost season.   

If he’s nontendered, we could try offering him a multi year deal and see if we can outbid the other teams.   Or, we could trade for him, knowing he’s not going to pitch much next year, and try and sign him longer term after acquiring him.   

Should he be a target?   

• Like 1

The new CBA might change it, but since he was Super2, the Rays currently have club control of his 2023 also.

I am unclear on if non-tender means automatic free agency, or if once Glasnow picked his 2022 team, if that team might have 2023 Arb4 rights.  Regardless, I suppose that would be baked into whatever agreement he reaches with a club.

Last offseason, I had not quit on 2022, and some of the only 2021 free agents I cared about were the Ken Giles/Tommy Kahnle out for 2021 type guys.   Glasnow is just this year's flavor of that.   It would be nice to see the club interested in hiring good 2023 players.

I appreciate the idea behind the thread. It provides for far more interesting and constructive conversations than the ephemeral idea that the players just "should/could" be better than their current iterations.

I too have a pitcher in mind that I'll make a thread about soon enough.

That said, spending money next year to not improve the on-field product doesn't appeal to me.  At all.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Are there any comparable examples of teams taking  a flyer locking up a guy on a multi year deal knowing that he won't pitch the first year? I have a hard time seeing Angelos open up the checkbooks for this one. If Gallardo couldn't get through our physical...

I don't believe the Orioles will be signing any free agents this offseason (or acquiring anyone in a trade) with a salary much higher than $5 million. I suspect John Angelos will tell Elias something like  "Get us to 70 (or 75 or whatever) wins, and then we can start looking at more expensive guys."

I would guess Angelos would be even more reluctant to pay Glasnow for a year he's not going to pitch so that he'll be available to contribute when the Angeloses may no longer own the team.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Are there any comparable examples of teams taking  a flyer locking up a guy on a multi year deal knowing that he won't pitch the first year? I have a hard time seeing Angelos open up the checkbooks for this one. If Gallardo couldn't get through our physical...

Michael Pineda was signed to a 2 year, 10 year deal prior to the 2018 season knowing that season would be a lost one. 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Michael Pineda is one he signed with the Twins in 2017 coming off Tommy John surgery and missed the 2018 season. Posted a link to a Fangraphs article that goes in depth on history of signing injured pitchers. 

I tend to agree with you that getting the Angelos family to agree to this might be tough in addition to getting Glasnow to willingly join the Orioles.

On Drew Smyly, Michael Pineda, and the History of Signing Injured Free-Agent Pitchers

7 hours ago, Pickles said:

I appreciate the idea behind the thread. It provides for far more interesting and constructive conversations than the ephemeral idea that the players just "should/could" be better than their current iterations.

I too have a pitcher in mind that I'll make a thread about soon enough.

That said, spending money next year to not improve the on-field product doesn't appeal to me.  At all.

That's where I am.  Trying to look at the other side, it's like paying in advance for a player who was developing into a real good player.  But even then, it's just for 1 healthy season before he becomes a free agent, and even in that healthy season, we won't know how strong he comes back after the TJ surgery.  And realistically, we know current ownership won't do this.  Looking forward to your thread.