Mountcastle talk

MijiT88

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Markakis had a lot of prolonged slumps.  Usually multiple per year and he was a selective guy.

See, I’d like to study this in some systematic way.   But it’s hard and time consuming to do.  Yes Nick was somewhat streaky, but for example, how did he compare to Jones in that regard?  I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head, and in any event, you wouldn’t be able to generalize from two examples.  

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've used the word impact bat and was shouted down by some who thought he was more of a .750 OPS guy because they felt his OBP would be very low. 

Were there a lot of people who thought that?   I’ve always thought most folks here were pretty bullish on MC’s bat.   

I noticed today that MC has now played 156 big league games, just short of one full year, and has 31 homers and 100 RBI.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Were there a lot of people who thought that?   I’ve always thought most folks here were pretty bullish on MC’s bat.   

I noticed today that MC has now played 156 big league games, just short of one full year, and has 31 homers and 100 RBI.

And he's started taking walks; for those who care.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

In 302 at bats during the first half of this season Mountcastle drew 20 walks. Since the all star break in 142 at bats Mountcastle has drawn 14 walks. 

That is quite the improvement, but it's more likely Mountcastle settles somewhere in between his pre and post all star game walk rates. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mountry01&year=2021&t=b

To me, the big key for Mountcastle will  be high how can he get his BA/OBP.

The slugging will be there.  I expect him in the 475-575 range pretty consistently.  But how high does his BA and OBp get on a consistent basis?

Can he be a 280/340 type guy.  If so, that is huge for him And this team.

But if he is a a 260/310 guy, that will keep his value down.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

See, I’d like to study this in some systematic way.   But it’s hard and time consuming to do.  Yes Nick was somewhat streaky, but for example, how did he compare to Jones in that regard?  I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head, and in any event, you wouldn’t be able to generalize from two examples.  

Unless you're Tony Gwynn or Rod Carew, you're probably a streaky hitter.  Some guys have longer streaks and slumps than others, but 99% of hitters are streaky guys.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I, for one, thought his lack of patience would keep him from being more than a .800 OPS type of player.  I think I predicted he'd be a .780 type of guy.   

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Why wouldn't we care?  Walks are an important way of getting on base, but just as importantly, the plate discipline required to draw walks also means that Mountcastle will get more good pitches to hit, which will help his power numbers.   Mountcastle still gives away some at bats, but at least to my untrained eye he has been much more selective over the last couple of months than he was at the start of the season.   With further improvement (he is still only 24) I think he can have some MVP candidate-type seasons at his peak.  

15 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Why wouldn't we care?  Walks are an important way of getting on base, but just as importantly, the plate discipline required to draw walks also means that Mountcastle will get more good pitches to hit, which will help his power numbers.   Mountcastle still gives away some at bats, but at least to my untrained eye he has been much more selective over the last couple of months than he was at the start of the season.   With further improvement (he is still only 24) I think he can have some MVP candidate-type seasons at his peak.  

I don't disagree.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I, for one, thought his lack of patience would keep him from being more than a .800 OPS type of player.  I think I predicted he'd be a .780 type of guy.   

I expected that for this year, but was hoping for a bit more long term.   I’d say he’s modestly exceeding what I thought he’d do, assuming he finishes at the pace he’s now on.  Still 15% of the season to go, and hopefully he runs through the tape.