Local media

Pushmonkey

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

MASN is Orioles state media so don’t expect them to analyze the franchise with a critical eye.

And the Baltimore Sun treats the Orioles with kid gloves compared to New York or Boston media. 

So no than that Masn will never put effort to do anything then bend the knee. 

I've seen regular criticism of the team and individual performances from local media sources (including MASN), but it typically isn't laced with profanity and/or irrational knee-jerk terminations and call ups of the entire minor league rosters so people choose to ignore it. 

But yes, even MASN has questioned whether enough attention was put into the major league product this season. I think fans just want to see their vitriol echoed and if it isn't, they are shills. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pushmonkey said:

They have? When?

Surprisingly, the MASN podcast has been critical of players, debates the attention to major league product, talks about disappointing minor league players who were supposed to be quality, how bad the trades in 2018 were, etc.

Baltimore Sun pretty regularly talks about the disappointing performances of the team.

Now don't get me wrong, they are not raging the way the fanbase is and even me responding the way I did, isn't really to undermine your point of this thread. When you see a performance like we saw this weekend, this is so below major league quality that you want to see local media applying pressure to the team. That's what I think they DON'T do. I think they cover the team, discuss disappointment in players, performance, but like OsFanSinceThe80s said, it's nothing like they would receive in Boston/New York.

So it is there, but it is not the pointed, sharp, disgusted criticism that many are looking for right now. But as the husband to a Canadian, with all Blue Jay fan in-laws, I wouldn't mind a little blood in the water for the local media to match how I am feeling right now!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pushmonkey said:

To me they are just sheep to Angelos and praise everything and doesn’t call a spade a spade. Makes me wonder why Palmer stopped calling games as he was the only one that did. Hollander, Roch and the masn color guys are the worst. 

Palmer is probably coming back starting this Tuesday night. After today's game, Garceau said to Ben "save travels home."

What do you want the employees of MASN or the local media say about the state of the Orioles they are not saying now?  Do you want them to walk up to the players and ask them why do you suck?  That is a rhetorical question.  Because they are not being critical enough do us fans think they are better than they are really are?  Both Ben McDonald and Jim Palmer, the regular color guys, say on a regular basis "you have to make better pitches". etc etc.   They do have to see these players everyday and have some kind of working relationship.  Being overly critical or confrontational isn't going to inform us any better.  Their record is apparent to all of us.  I just want to know what isn't being said that needs to be said and how that is going to help the Orioles get better faster.  They don't draw many fans which is the direct result of them being bad.  

• Upvote 1

The players no. I don’t expect them to ask players why they suck. I believe the players are trying. My point is not asking Hyder and Elis tougher questions or criticize them for their choices. To hear hyder say oh it’s September we are evaluating.  Bullshit. We are not evaluating the Watkins. The betrea. The handholds of the world. If they were evaluating they would bring up the next wave. Hyde why do you pitch the same bullpen guys day in and day out. Why if you have a guy warm up three separate times do you then bring him in the game when he’s already spent. 

11 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

The players no. I don’t expect them to ask players why they suck. I believe the players are trying. My point is not asking Hyder and Elis tougher questions or criticize them for their choices. To hear hyder say oh it’s September we are evaluating.  Bullshit. We are not evaluating the Watkins. The betrea. The handholds of the world. If they were evaluating they would bring up the next wave. Hyde why do you pitch the same bullpen guys day in and day out. Why if you have a guy warm up three separate times do you then bring him in the game when he’s already spent. 

So you want the media to ask Hyde why his roster sucks? 

It seems to me they have to sign a couple of starting pitchers to multi-year contracts this off-season.  Or prepare to lose 100 games again in 2022.

Tim Dierkes (MLB Trade Rumors)  has gone on record saying they won't contend until they spend in free agency , if they even want to contend in 2023.

Excuse me if I'm off topic.

• Upvote 1