Local media

Pushmonkey

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

MASN is Orioles state media so don’t expect them to analyze the franchise with a critical eye.

And the Baltimore Sun treats the Orioles with kid gloves compared to New York or Boston media. 

Jim Palmer is about the only MASN employee who gives an accurate, non PollyAnnaish view of the franchise.  He probably suffers PTSD from watching this team and comparing it to the O's when he played. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Jim Palmer is about the only MASN employee who gives an accurate, non PollyAnnaish view of the franchise.  He probably suffers PTSD from watching this team and comparing it to the O's when he played. 

McDonald isn't as critical as Palmer, but both are fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

McDonald isn't as critical as Palmer, but both are fantastic. 

While I still enjoy McDonald, he has taken a turn this year and turned a bit Hunterish when it comes to his evaluations of players "Turning the corner." He was gushing over the five inning, one hit innings Lopez threw saying this was a turning point for him, conveniently not mentioning the five walks he had and the four seasons of Lopez not pitching consistently enough as a starter. 

I don't need McDonald to be a negative nelly all the time, which would be easy with this team and pitching staff, but he was more forthcoming and accurate when he was doing just a few games a year while focusing on college baseball. 

I know local announcers are going to be a bit homerish and I don't have an issue with that to an extent because I know some of he fanbase expects that. but just don't give inaccurate or completely Pollyannish" takes on players. 

He could have said, "This could potentially be a turning point for Lopez, BUT he's had four season of being up and down in the past so we probably need to see sustained good performance over 6-8 starts before getting too excited."

• Upvote 1

I really don’t care much if MASN or the Sun criticize the Orioles.  We are capable of seeing things for ourselves and forming our own opinions.   I’m more irritated when they fail to ask factual questions that would elicit information on which to base those opinions.   

• Upvote 1

I think MASN reflects the bigger picture that Elias has talked about.  That this is a year of adding talent to the system not of competing for a playoff spot.   MASN promotes the heck out of the high farm system ranking as they should.   I think most of the O's faithful fans understand where the team is in the rebuild.  They highly anticipate Adley, Grayson etc.    

I don't expect criticism from MASN.  If you want that listen to the national media.  They don't hold back.

Frobby said it best - as usual!  Really, if you expect MASN to be critical of the Orioles, then expect a Moderator to be openly critical of Tony. Misery likes company, so some want all channels to follow their lead. All channels are not equal. The Sun is a different story but not surprising. The fan base in Baltimore is different ( thank heavens ) than in New York or Boston. Like politicians, papers play to their base. "Don't Worry - Be Happy!"  TODAY, WE ARE NUMBER ONE - in the "picking order."

13 hours ago, Philip said:

Speaking of local media, there’s no better place to post this than here, Roch shared a pre-game post, then said he was off for the rest of the day and did not post again.

If nothing else, he sure has excellent timing.

Roch does have a Ripkenesque  streak going of posting an Oriole article for 4000+ consecutive days, even Christmases.   Or something like that.   So if he posted his usual morning article and his pregame stuff and took an afternoon off, I won't begrudge him.   You can question the fact that he isn't critical enough of the organization, but you can't question his work ethic.   I roll out of bed at 7 or 8 every morning and read his 4am article linked from Twitter.   Every day without fail.

45 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Roch does have a Ripkenesque  streak going of posting an Oriole article for 4000+ consecutive days, even Christmases.   Or something like that.   So if he posted his usual morning article and his pregame stuff and took an afternoon off, I won't begrudge him.   You can question the fact that he isn't critical enough of the organization, but you can't question his work ethic.   I roll out of bed at 7 or 8 every morning and read his 4am article linked from Twitter.   Every day without fail.

Oh I Wasn’t complaining that he took the day off, I was commenting on the irony of him doing so on a day when we got absolutely blasted. Usually he posts two or three updates during the game, and they would’ve been unpleasant yesterday so he really dodged a bullet that’s all I was saying.

I have never had anything but respect for his industry.

48 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Frobby said it best - as usual!  Really, if you expect MASN to be critical of the Orioles, then expect a Moderator to be openly critical of Tony. Misery likes company, so some want all channels to follow their lead. All channels are not equal. The Sun is a different story but not surprising. The fan base in Baltimore is different ( thank heavens ) than in New York or Boston. Like politicians, papers play to their base. "Don't Worry - Be Happy!"  TODAY, WE ARE NUMBER ONE - in the "picking order."

In New York, the fan base always has the pitchforks sharp and the torches ready to light.