Should the O's be considering 3B/2B Josh Harrison this off season?

wildcard

Henderson, Westburg, Dorrian are probably a year away.  The O's need help at 3B.   So a short term FA/trade looks in order this off season.

Harrison is 34,  will be a FA this offseason.  Was on a one year, one million contract this year. He has played 134 games with a   760 OPS so he probably get more next year but probably on the one year contract.   1/2 or 3m may do it.   

Is Harrison the kind of player that Elias is likely to acquire for a year until the prospects are ready?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harrijo05.shtml

33 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I know he's had a far more successful career, and a their 2021s are polar opposites, but isn't it like a coin flip if this guy is better than Franco next year?  Or a hell of a lot more like a coin flip that we might want to admit?

I think Harrison is likely to be significantly better    I’ve always liked the guy.   He’s versatile and seems like a very good teammate.   

Also you may be forgetting just how bad Franco was this year.  -1.6 rWAR in less than 2/3 of a season (104 G, 404 PA).  That’s worse that Chris Davis was in a similar amount of playing time in 2019 (-1.1 rWAR, 105 G, 352 PA).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Harrison is likely to be significantly better    I’ve always liked the guy.   He’s versatile and seems like a very good teammate.   

Also you may be forgetting just how bad Franco was this year.  -1.6 rWAR in less than 2/3 of a season (104 G, 404 PA).  That’s worse that Chris Davis was in a similar amount of playing time in 2019 (-1.1 rWAR, 105 G, 352 PA).

He was horrendous.  And I'll admit, I didn't realize it was that bad.

And we should of course take more recent information as more important.  However, excluding this season, their last 3-4 are pretty similar.  And Franco is of course significantly younger.

My point isn't really about Franco though.  Or Harrison even.

Rather, that these kinds of signings should definitely be explored, but they aren't a significant departure from the strategy of the last few years.  We're just hoping maybe it works out a little bit better.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That begs the question of why didn’t Mike and the other guys in the brain trust anticipate Franco being so bad? Did they know he was going to be bad and sign him anyway because he was cheap? Which is inexcusable but at least a concrete decision. Or did they expect him to be meaningfully better, and if so, what was wrong with their analysis. 
Like Adam said, “sometime you suck.” But there’s a difference between being bad sometimes, and just… Being bad.

If it is just money, that’s infuriating, but at least they didn’t sign him thinking he would be other than he was. But if they signed him expecting positive results, that’s a problem.

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

That begs the question of why didn’t Mike and the other guys in the brain trust anticipate Franco being so bad? Did they know he was going to be bad and sign him anyway because he was cheap? Which is inexcusable but at least a concrete decision. Or did they expect him to be meaningfully better, and if so, what was wrong with their analysis. 
Like Adam said, “sometime you suck.” But there’s a difference between being bad sometimes, and just… Being bad.

If it is just money, that’s infuriating, but at least they didn’t sign him thinking he would be other than he was. But if they signed him expecting positive results, that’s a problem.

He was signed for 1 year/800k. At that price I don't think you are expecting more than replacement level. We got slightly less than that in a year that didn't matter.  If you find that infuriating I don't know what to say. Iglesias exceeded his salary level so you win some and lose some like any risky investment. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He was signed for 1 year/800k. At that price I don't think you are expecting more than replacement level. We got slightly less than that in a year that didn't matter.  If you find that infuriating I don't know what to say. Iglesias exceeded his salary level so you win some and lose some like any risky investment. 

We also signed him on March 16.   Nobody else wanted him.   The hope you was he’d be a mild upgrade over Rio Ruiz.   He was never expected to be more than an 0.5-1.0 rWAR player even if things went well.  But he had a very bad year even by his standards.   That’s the risk you take with this level of signing.   I’m just sorry we didn’t jettison him a little  sooner.