2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

Just now, waroriole said:

You don’t get that this year people are seeing more of the results of his draft and player development system?

For me, I was seeing it anyway.  I felt things were in a good spot and I don’t feel that it should now all of a sudden be Elias we trust…unless you want to base that solely off of cheap waiver wire pickups for the ML roster.

I also think some of it, at the ML level, is the lower run environment.

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sounds like good advice. But Lawlar really does have 23 errors in 47 games.

Fair enough. I am wrong about many things in life, trust me:) but to be clear, I am not rooting for our picks to fail, that’s awful. 

I will be happy today if they take Jones or Hokiday. Def be okay with Lee, Lesko or even maybe Johnson or Parada. Green too but no way Elias takes on that kind of risk. Beyond that, it would be not good imo. 

They also need to go early and overslot on pitching! Pitching, pitching and more pitching! 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

For me, I was seeing it anyway.  I felt things were in a good spot and I don’t feel that it should now all of a sudden be Elias we trust…unless you want to base that solely off of cheap waiver wire pickups for the ML roster.

I also think some of it, at the ML level, is the lower run environment.

Things are much brighter for the organization overall this year. That leads to more trust in the decision makers. But, there’s also more advancements in player development this year. Look how Gunnar has gone from Top 100, to Top 5 prospect. Westburg continues to hit everywhere. Cowser, Stowers, and Kjerstad are all looking like future ML OFs. The system looks brighter this year than it did last year. I think that’s the reason for people being more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Also, I think very few people have strong opinions on who should be drafted, and are willing to trust his judgment. I’ve looked at a lot of reports and videos, and while I have an opinion on who I would draft, I’m just not able to get upset about them not picking who I want. I just don’t have the necessary scouting eye, or knowledge of what players we can develop best, to be so adamant that it has to be Jones. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Players picked after Elias’ selections in other orgs are playing well (or better) than Elias’ picks too. Not sure what that means. I also wouldn’t say he is a waiver wire wizard either. Some good ones, some okay ones, some bad ones. DD did a great job in this respect. 

Wait, other teams are also drafting well?!?!?  Oh no!  20 some teams passed on Trout too.  And every waiver wire hasn't turned out great?!?!?!  Oh no, get out the fire and pitchforks. 

Facts are we are playing winning baseball at the MLB level, AAA has some apparent studs ready to step up once some things flesh out, and we have a huge draft today that should infuse the minors with another load of talent.  And much of that hope and success comes from players drafted by Elias or picked up from the trash pile and turned into contributing players.  It's simple,  but yes the success we are seeing across the board makes me tip my hat in his direction and makes me more hopeful that we are on the right path...even with us not having Lawlar in our organization.  🙂

33 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The decisions he’s made in the draft and otherwise have catapulted the system into an indisputably strong position. I have no reason not to trust that he knows WTF he’s doing. I would try to keep him and Sig here for a long time if they’re willing.

I have a feeling the direction of ownership will dictate this.

Upside/realistic downside (in no particular order)

Jones - generational CF/4th OF or role playing RF

Johnson - generation 2b/never reaches majors

Holiday - All star SS/glove first super utility 

Lee - All star 2b-3b/replacement level 2b/3b

Green - Generational CF/never reaches majors 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Well said here

23 minutes ago, seak05 said:

So much of why scouts love Jones is tied into his defense and athleticism -  and there's so much projection with his bat - which isn't appealing to me in a #1 pick. My concern with Jones' downside is that he turns into a Christian Pache type. I'll be fine with the O's drafting Jones, but I like Holliday's combination of ceiling and floor better.

29 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Good stuff.

7 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

So much of why scouts love Jones is tied into his defense and athleticism -  and there's so much projection with his bat - which isn't appealing to me in a #1 pick. My concern with Jones' downside is that he turns into a Christian Pache type. I'll be fine with the O's drafting Jones, but I like Holliday's combination of ceiling and floor better.

There’s always a ton of projection for an 18 year old.  There were questions about Manny’s hit tool too.  It’s almost always there.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There’s always a ton of projection for an 18 year old.  There were questions about Manny’s hit tool too.  It’s almost always there.  

1. Baltimore Orioles: OF Druw Jones, Wesleyan High School (Ga.)

We're not going to overthink this, but there's no guarantee the Orioles will do the same. Jones is the consensus top player in this class and has the potential to develop into a five-tool center fielder. He also has an extremely high floor thanks to his contact skills, speed and elite outfield defense. The Orioles' recent history of cutting below-slot deals in the first round has led to speculation they could turn elsewhere, but this is an opportunity to land a cornerstone player. Plus, they went chalk when they took Adley Rutschman No. 1 overall in 2019.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10042041-brs-final-2022-mlb-mock-draft-40-for-every-1st-round-pick.amp.html

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

1. Baltimore Orioles: OF Druw Jones, Wesleyan High School (Ga.)

We're not going to overthink this, but there's no guarantee the Orioles will do the same. Jones is the consensus top player in this class and has the potential to develop into a five-tool center fielder. He also has an extremely high floor thanks to his contact skills, speed and elite outfield defense. The Orioles' recent history of cutting below-slot deals in the first round has led to speculation they could turn elsewhere, but this is an opportunity to land a cornerstone player. Plus, they went chalk when they took Adley Rutschman No. 1 overall in 2019.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10042041-brs-final-2022-mlb-mock-draft-40-for-every-1st-round-pick.amp.html

I feel the same way of this.  You take the potential elite, franchise guy.  That’s why I want Jones.  

• Upvote 1