MLBTR suggested a Baltimore trade with Miami.

waynebug

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

They’re a contender compared to us, I guess.  They had the sixth-worst record in baseball, 67-95.   

They didn’t have as good a season as they expected to, but they were expecting to contend, and I would imagine that they think the failure of this season is just an aberration, so I expect they will be full speed ahead next season, which means they are going to be trading for the present rather than for the future, which means that
Mullins would be an excellent addition for them

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

They didn’t have as good a season as they expected to, but they were expecting to contend, and I would imagine that they think the failure of this season is just an aberration, so I expect they will be full speed ahead next season, which means they are going to be trading for the present rather than for the future, which means that
Mullins would be an excellent addition for them

They would be smarter to sign Starling Marte and keep the pitching. I don't see why Miami would do that trade. 

I do not know that they would do that specific trade, but a team that wants to win now, he would be a terrific addition.

I’m very interested in how Kim Ng and the other GMs will react to each other. I was hoping she would be hired in Baltimore, because she would be so different from anything they had ever experienced that for at least a couple of years I think she would have an advantage over them in dealings because they wouldn’t know how to react to her.

I don’t know how many major trades or other transactions Miami has made since she was hired, but I will be very interested when they start happening.

This is the opposite of what we should be doing.  I personally subscribe to the strategy of growing bats over arms.  There is a lot less risk involved there as opposed to pitchers- I also subscribe to the saying “There is no such thing as a pitching prospect” because of how injury and use, even before coming to our system, can affect them.  

I would much rather do what the Padres did and acquire the starters once the core position players are set and use our building prospect capital to make those deals happen.  There is always going to be injury risk in acquiring pitchers, but I would much rather trade for them if they have MLB experience versus doing something like this.  

28 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

This is the opposite of what we should be doing.  I personally subscribe to the strategy of growing bats over arms.  There is a lot less risk involved there as opposed to pitchers- I also subscribe to the saying “There is no such thing as a pitching prospect” because of how injury and use, even before coming to our system, can affect them.  

I would much rather do what the Padres did and acquire the starters once the core position players are set and use our building prospect capital to make those deals happen.  There is always going to be injury risk in acquiring pitchers, but I would much rather trade for them if they have MLB experience versus doing something like this.  

Why is it the opposite?  The Os are growing the bats and have, in theory, a lot of other OF options coming up over the next few years.  

This would be trading from that to “buy pitching”.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is it the opposite?  The Os are growing the bats and have, in theory, a lot of other OF options coming up over the next few years.  

This would be trading from that to “buy pitching”.

I want to buy established pitching, not prospect pitching, just like what the Padres did.  There is a lot less risk involved that way.   Hopefully that clears things up. 

3 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I want to buy established pitching, not prospect pitching, just like what the Padres did.  There is a lot less risk involved that way.   Hopefully that clears things up. 

Yea but what do the Pads have to show for it?  Clevinger got hurt.  Snell struggled with his control and Darvish had an ERA over 4 and pitched under 170 innings.

Im not saying these were bad moves by them but just because they are established doesn’t mean they are the best way to go.  Give me the cheaper, younger arms.  

When it comes to pitching, since it’s so fragile, I don’t think there’s a best way to do it.  You get as much as you can and hope for the best.

• Upvote 1