2021 Astros-Braves World Series

Just Regular

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It was new to me tonight Brian Snitker's son is an Astros Hitting Coach - pretty cool.   imagine they'll have plenty of turkey to talk come Thanksgiving.

In olden days I might have said "the" hitting coach, but it seems like doubling up that role is something some notably successful teams are doing.

They let you have two so why not have two?

Unless it's too expensive.

Rosenthal and Verducci have the in-inning report during Bottom of 5th that Ian Anderson is being hooked after 18 Batters Faced in a 1-0 game.

So that would be:

-Grayson Rodriguez+ pedigree

-Postseason ERA in the 1.00's

-5 no-hit innings, 76 pitches

-your Game 1 starter broke his leg

But i guess Minter, Matzek, Jackson and Smith deemed better on a per-inning basis.

xwOBA percentiles good with it https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/percentile-rankings?type=pitcher&year=2021&team=Braves    Learning Anderson underwhelming there.

• Upvote 1

Just learned more than I ever imagined I would about Ehire Adrianza, after Rosenthal during his pinch hit appearance had the tidbit he wants to be a GM someday.

As is often the case, the Orioles more than most clubs can out-opportunity the field if doubling his PA of interest to him.   I guess for the 2022 team he could be an Adult in the Room (~85th percentile Chase Rate among 200 PA batters in 2021), and do the stuff Jahmai Jones and/or Terrin Vavra aren't ready to do credibly in the Show yet.    I guess I wouldn't hate him being a Player Coach for some of the younger guys.   Perhaps he can't hit or field, but guessing he does have a worthy Growth Mindset.

He played for Galvis money in 2021.

After the Anderson hook, Sarah Langs had a tweet about Top 5 ERA's in first 8 postseason starts - the pitchers with those 1.25-1.50 ish ERA's were born in five different decades.  B-Ref has these pitch counts in their postseason game logs.

9.16.1958 Hershiser - X, 93, 100, X, X, 106, 117, 92

10.11.1965 El Duque - 115, 115, X, X, X, X, 130, 115

8.30.1978 Cliff Lee - 113, 117, 114, 122, 112, 104, 120, 122

7.20.1988 Strasburg - 89, 81, 106, 85, 105, 117, 114, 104

5.2.1998 Ian Anderson - 99, 94, 85, 73, 84, 55, 66, 76

Maybe Grayson Rodriguez's first eight postseason starts will be like his 2021 Baysox summer after all.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/braves-take-world-series-lead-as-ian-anderson-and-friends-chase-a-no-hitter/

Jay Jaffe's game story had a nice chart on the Top Innings Gainers combining Reguar + Post in Year1 after COVID.

Entering his walk year, I can picture Eovaldi's 2022 anything between him being the poster child for the advancement of medical science and continued stardom after two TJ's, and whatever comes after a good pitcher notably uses a LOT of himself up some fall ala Patrick Corbin or Nick Anderson.

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

So, Greinke throws 58 pitches through 4 IP giving up only three hits and you take him out? 

A lot of over-managing of pitchers in the playoffs these last few years…of course, it did work last night but at what point does it burn you?

The Braves are a hell of a story though.  Lose your entire OF, Soroka out and you have trade for 4 OFers and they are a win away from a title.

For all the good teams they have had over the years, it’s crazy that this is the one that may win it all.

22 hours ago, SteveA said:

So why does the organist in Atlanta play the theme song of M*A*S*H (Suicide is Painless) before Correa bats? (Or perhaps after Yordan Alvarez struck out?)

More fun from the organist: Alex Bergman has had a bad series and is batting way down in the order because of it.  The walkup selection by the organist:  Free Falling by Tom Petty.

Big spot early, can he make the organist regret his choice???

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

More fun from the organist: Alex Bergman has had a bad series and is batting way down in the order because of it.  The walkup selection by the organist:  Free Falling by Tom Petty.

Big spot early, can he make the organist regret his choice???

Yes he does, he gets a big double to get Houston in the board.

23 hours ago, SteveA said:

So why does the organist in Atlanta play the theme song of M*A*S*H (Suicide is Painless) before Correa bats? (Or perhaps after Yordan Alvarez struck out?)

Ok I'm really stupid.  24 hours later and I finally get it.  Correa = Korea.  Duh, I feel like an idiot.