Giants claim Hunter Harvey off waivers

SilverRocket

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I am very surprised we didn’t keep and protect him.   Not that I’m that optimistic about him, but he’s got a lot more upside than many other guys on the 40-man.  

Would the SFG be the last team eligible to claim him?  If so, he almost made it but still a surprising move as others said.

8 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Bizarre move, tons of guys that I would have removed from the 40-man roster before Harvey. Not arbitration eligible so it doesn't even save any money.

This is where I'm at. Very questionable DFA. Don't get me wrong, Harvey can't stay healthy and his stuff really wasn't all that great after all the injuries, but really he's the kind of arm the Orioles should be taking chances on not giving away. I mean for God's sake, Isaac Matson, Joey Krehbiel, and  Brooks Kriske are still on the 40-man. 

Just a strange move unless they know something about his current injury status.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is where I'm at. Very questionable DFA. Don't get me wrong, Harvey can't stay healthy and his stuff really was all that great after all the injuries but really he's the kind of arm the Orioles should be taking chances on not giving away. I mean for God's sake, Isaac Matson, Joey Krehbiel, and  Brooks Kriske are still on the 40-man. 

Just a strange move unless they know something about his current injury status.

Could this type of move be a result of a player request?

Just now, Yardball85 said:

When was he outrighted/DFA;ed? Did I miss something?

Seems like these things happen without any public announcement.   We only found out about Severino and the others AFTER they had cleared waivers, and the waiver period has to take at least a day, maybe longer?

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why would Harvey want to leave? It's not like he doesn't have an opportunity here if he stays healthy. Either way, I doubt this is player requested. 

It was just idle speculation.  I've had the thought before that some of these moves might be because a player wanted a fresh start someplace else. 

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Seems like these things happen without any public announcement.   We only found out about Severino and the others AFTER they had cleared waivers, and the waiver period has to take at least a day, maybe longer?

Gotcha, thanks.  I would've thought removing him from the 40 would've been newsworthy.  Players are dropping off the 40 like flies. Still a lot of people on the 40 I would've dumped before HH. 

Disappointing, but not the end of the world to lose a 27 year-old injury-plagued pitcher.

35 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Yeah I don’t understand this move at all. All he needed to do was stay healthy. Granted he never was able to do so but this will likely prove to be a mistake. Damn.

Likely?  Possible, yes, but not likely.  The move is a surprise to me, but I hardly thought Hunter was likely to pan out at this point.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Just as well honestly.  It would be irritating if my sport information feed was filled with 30 teams removing guys off their 40 man rosters all week.